Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I didn't really play around .I just bought 2 boxes of the 160 gr Winchester power max bonded . Got it sighted in with that . I'll play with it more next yr .

Fun gun to shoot. My 11 yr old isn't afraid of it at all . Where as trying to get him to practice with the 20 gauge turkey or slug gun has been a problem in the past .

·
Registered
303 Posts
For you lefties who prefer a bolt action...love my Savage 110 XP with the adjustable Accu Trigger. Extremely accurate with the Winchester 150 gr Deer Season ammunition

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought the Winchester xpr 20 in barrel very fun to shoot. I sighted in with 180 gr winchester sp. It also has a Vortex scope on it just the cheaper one. Dead on at 25yds, and 75 yds then a inch high at 100 yds. I did shoot the 150 win and HORNADY 170 grn both were dead on center but too high. The gun doesnt kick at all love it and fun to shoot. Oh a lot of the shots when sighting in were same hole almost. I will play around with it more next year ...Good luck all...

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
I've read here about possible problems with Savage & Winchester quality as well as Winchester ammo primer problems. I'm sure most shoot fine.

I am still shopping with no intent to buy anytime soon but hopefully before next gun season.

Has anyone heard of any new rifles coming out chambered in .350L ?

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
X2 can't go wrong imo
The XPR combo Cabela's is offering for $700 is tops on my list. Just waiting for them to get one in the capital city store.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The XPR combo Cabela's is offering for $700 is tops on my list. Just waiting for them to get one in the capital city store. I like the idea of the 20" barrel although I've read about some 350's have a 22" barrel (Not XPR) but not available at Cabela's.
Xpr that I own is 22" barrel length and they also have the compact xpr 18" ? Barrel I liked the feel of that one too but the wood stock on mine is what I was after as far as cabelas is concerned you should be able to walk in talk to the manager and have one transferred over to your store unless something has changed
I didn't buy the combo xpr as I had a scope on the shelf yet still no complaints as the scope and rifle combo I put together definitely mesh well

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
Xpr that I own is 22" barrel length and they also have the compact xpr 18" ? Barrel I liked the feel of that one too but the wood stock on mine is what I was after as far as cabelas is concerned you should be able to walk in talk to the manager and have one transferred over to your store unless something has changed
I didn't buy the combo xpr as I had a scope on the shelf yet still no complaints as the scope and rifle combo I put together definitely mesh well
Yes, an oversight on my part. It does state 22". Nice!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Most of the time the scopes that come on the combos are low Quality scopes . Keep that in mind . I bought my Savage as a combo because they didn't offer the 110 without the scope . First thing I did was replace the scope . If they had offered it without the scope I would have bought it that way .

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
One thing I’ve always been told is put the best glass you can afford on a firearm with the only rifle I’ve not done this too being my vanguard that came with yet a low grade scope but has been fantastic for what I do with it as far as the xpr is concerned like I said I had a scope on the shelf so I picked up just the rifle. I was called crazy by a few for putting a 4-12x50 vxII leupold on the xpr but it works really well for me and as I always say what works for me doesn’t always work for others

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
I may buy a better scope and put the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 on my Marlin squirrel rifle. The ol' Tasco is failing me. ;)

Reactions: ohiohornhunter
41 - 60 of 88 Posts