Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m seriously considering a 350 legend. A lot of rifles seem to be coming on line for it. Are there any to avoid, or any to give special consideration to? I have the Encore platform, and might consider a new barrel for it in 350. I like the ARs that I’ve seen in it also. Also, what load do you prefer for hunting

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm a bolt action guy so that's where my opinion comes from. I have the Winchester XPR in 350 and love the thing. The trigger is the same design as the Model 70 but cheaper components. The gun shoots great and currently has a red dot on it but I will likely switch it out to a scope for next year but we'll see.

I've shot the Savage Axis and didn't like the trigger too much but could get used to it. I have three friends that have them and they all shoot great and their experience range from novice to 50 plus year hunter. So you can see that they shoot well for anyone.

As far as ammo I haven't heard anything negative on anything yet. The Hornady American Whitetail, 170gr, shoots the best out of mine. The Winchester XP is a close second followed by the Federal Power-Shok. I would be comfortable shooting any of the three in my gun.

If I scope it out next year I may try to find the Federal Fusion and see how my guns likes them.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I'm a bolt action guy so that's where my opinion comes from. I have the Winchester XPR in 350 and love the thing. The trigger is the same design as the Model 70 but cheaper components. The gun shoots great and currently has a red dot on it but I will likely switch it out to a scope for next year but we'll see.

I've shot the Savage Axis and didn't like the trigger too much but could get used to it. I have three friends that have them and they all shoot great and their experience range from novice to 50 plus year hunter. So you can see that they shoot well for anyone.

As far as ammo I haven't heard anything negative on anything yet. The Hornady American Whitetail, 170gr, shoots the best out of mine. The Winchester XP is a close second followed by the Federal Power-Shok. I would be comfortable shooting any of the three in my gun.

If I scope it out next year I may try to find the Federal Fusion and see how my guns likes them.
X2

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm seriously considering a 350 legend. A lot of rifles seem to be coming on line for it. Are there any to avoid, or any to give special consideration to? I have the Encore platform, and might consider a new barrel for it in 350. I like the ARs that I've seen in it also. Also, what load do you prefer for hunting
Do they make a 350 barrel for the Encore now I have one of the 1st gen Encores

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I bought a Winchester last week . Shoots well . Minimal recoil .

One thing I liked about the Winchester vs the Ruger was that the magazine doesn't stick out a far .

I bought my dad a Savage axis last yr . My mom and nephew both took deer with it .

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I bought both the axis II and the xpr for the kids no problems with either both tack drivers was hopeful that the kids would have had better luck but as I said in another post it’s been time well spent with all three this weekend
But between the two the xpr is by far a better rifle imo

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Good luck finding ammo if you plan on using it this year to hunt. I have a co-worker looking to find a box or two for her husband and son to hunt with. I have been trying to help her out. There is lots of FMJ available, but no hunting rounds.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I have a 22” Ruger American predator in 350L. Got it at Dunham’s last year. Came with a vortex 4-12scope. Shoots the hornady 170gr American whitetail really well.

Reactions: Turkinator

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figured on an Ammunition shortage! I’ve filled 3 tags with my bow, I have one more and if I gun hunt without finding a 350 I’ll shoot my 460 Encore. I’m going to try cabelas tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
It’s a Dunham’s exclusive. I think I paid around $599 on sale or somewhere in the $500’s. Shoots well. Took a doe at 108 yards last gun season. Bullet went through and exit other side. Interlock design which is a good design.

Reactions: Turkinator
1 - 20 of 88 Posts