Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Guys.....how would you rate this load result shot out of my T/C Contender @ 25yds?
This 45 colt load is 20.0gr 2400 powder pushing the 250gr Hornady XTP bullet with LP primmers.
This load was out of the Ruger/TC section of the loading manual. She's a very stout load....Whew....

My pistol has the std 10" octagon barrel with a Bushnell Phantom 1.3X scope

Thinking about going to cast bullets and backing down towards the std 45 colt loads

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it benched on sandbags...:D
Heard from some that the 2400 power mirrored the bad results....what powder for the 45 Colt be good to try next with the 250gr bullet...
Thanks

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Well i only load 45 long colt target loads with 200 gr. lead slugs -

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah....I am going to get into loading cast bullets.....got to do some reading up on it.
I thought that the group should have been better......the other two loads I tested were worst than this one :D And boy....these hot contender 45 colt loads have brutal recoil...:yikes: :D
Thanks for the replies........

·
7,173 Posts
I bet it can do better. I have no trouble having the shots touching at 50 yards with my 12" .44 mag Contender.

Have you shot any other loads in this gun? Were they accurate? I ask to make sure there isn't another issue like a scope or barrel problem. That looks like one of the older octagon barrels with a T/C Lobo scope(I see a Bushnell cap but don't remember a rail scope on them). I love T/C guns but the scopes not so much(and I have 3 of them)

I use 2400 powder and 240 gr XTPs in my .44 but that doesn't mean that powder will work in a .45 in your gun. I only load .45 LC for a SAA clone so I don't have a hotter load for you. Looking at some manuals looks like H110 and W296 are popular for .45 loads for Contenders.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. Sam. It's a bushnell phantom 1.3x scope. With the low x magnification, the orange target was pretty well covered up.
I think I will try sometime the H110 powder.
This 2400 is the only powder I have ever used for testing reloads.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
From the Alliant load table, a 45 colt would be 15 gr. yes, I realize thats very conservative for older colt revolvers, and imports. But I think you really stretching it going 20 grains. I have been using 18.8 in 44 mag 240 grain loads that shoot extremely tight in a contender..

Surprised the bushnell scope did not fly apart. I have a couple in the 1.3 and 2.5 magnum phantom that I limit to small stuff like a 22 hornet or a 22 long rifle. the rails are slightly different for a Lobo versus the phantom scopes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...thanks antiqucycle. I got the loading data out of the Nosler manual. The 20.0 gr was the maximum load for 2400.....
what kind of scope would you all recommend for this 45 colt rig?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Your group was not all that good. Scoped, sandbagged, you should make one ragged hole at 25 yards.

Try 296 or your H110, maybe Unique. Stay around 1100 fps or less. The .45 Colt case is not very thick, watch the hot stuff. That TC should shoot.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Leupold. If it breaks they will fix or replace it. Even if you drop it.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Leupold, Burris, Redfield scopes. T/C also sold Recoil Proof scopes with a lifetime warranty. they were made by Swift. I had a Swift on a ruger superblackhawk, the rear lens shattered. Swift replaced it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My old hometown is Johnstown pa..famous only for its floods..relevant ad my gunsmith of old had his shop under water a few times and once with silt muck standing water etc for a few weeks

When he cleaned up, EVERY manufacturer of scope had some leakage / fog damage save one

Leuopold

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
134 Posts
And u almost spelled it right!
Leupold. LOL

There are other scopes out there that may be ok..but I have nothing but leupold on any weapon I count on

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts