close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Rabbits 2017-18

Discussion in 'Ohio Small Game Hunting' started by bluedog, Dec 18, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Not sure if anyone has started a general rabbit thread yet but I couldn't find one. Feel free to add your own pictures and stories.

I finally shot the 1st rabbit of the season today. Geez. Between hunting in spots that were tough for the hunter but great for running dogs and several trips where I didn't carry a gun but saw multiple rabbits in range, I was almost thinking I'd not shoot a rabbit this year. LOL The rabbit today was in an area on the farm I rarely hunt. Before heading to this spot the dogs must have ran 4 different rabbits straight to holes. Then on a whim I headed to this other area by our pond. It's also full of groundhog holes but I got lucky and caught this young rabbit before it could go to a hole. The dogs did all the hard work pushing it to me.

Bryan six, Wildlife, Steve and 3 others like this.
  2. Im ready to get out. I'm going to go several times between Christmas and New Year's. Been real fortunate getting permission on turkeys and rabbit the last couple years. My buddy and I estimated we have close to 10,000 acres within 30 min of my house.

Deehntr56 and bluedog like this.

3. I seen bunny tracks in the yard last night for the first time in awhile. Coyotes, fox, eagles and hawks are bad around me so rabbits are slim.

bluedog likes this.
  4. I've been out 3 times this year and seen nothing but tracks. Going out for Christmas & New Year hunts and looking forward to them, and hoping my luck changes.

bluedog likes this.
  5. Out now, we have stopped counting rabbits that we’ve jumped. Dogs are running their tails off. Only had one good opportunity to shoot one. It’s thick where we are hunting. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513700239.408894.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513700271.474616.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513700288.461728.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513700325.119597.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513700338.353876.jpg

Duke0002, Wildlife, bluedog and 2 others like this.
  6. The annual holiday rabbit hunt was way more subdued than past years. A couple people couldn't make it. Others had no interest. Say what? Christmas Eve day we managed to gather 5 dogs and 3 people only 2 of which had guns. We had not quite 3 hours to hunt. The dogs had several awesome runs. 1st rabbit ended in a culvert pipe. The next 2 went in the ground under an old stump. I didn't see where the 4th one holed up. The 5th one made a couple circles before running through a yard and under someone's shed. No rabbits were shot.

Christmas Day Mr bluedog and I went out by ourselves with our own 3 dogs. We each shot 2 rabbits and the dogs had a really long run on another until it ran under someone's horse shed.

The 2 rabbits were good sized and I deboned and froze the meat. (Minus 2 front legs that were badly shot up. ) When the weather warms up I will grind the meat with a little bacon to make cheeseburgers on the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Got out with a friend (long time hunting buddy) and his new dog new year's day. It was not what i expected! His dad brought out his 2 delinquent dogs and the ole girl he retired when we showed up and none could trail. Right out of the gate I jumped one holding real tight. Got the dogs to the spot and nothing. Jumped 7 total, and after the first 2 we tried jump shooting with the dogs not able to pick up the trail. But that in itself was a task. The property used to be well maintained with grids of bush hogged trails through the briar etc., but hasn't been done in a couple years. They held so tight, and with how thick it was and how fast they'd take off shots were impossible. Can't be 100% but maybe it was just to cold and the snow was to powdery for the dogs. I went home hungry with a dirty gun. I've never had to just clean the gun and no rabbits on a day we've jumped a few. It was humbling for sure lol.

bluedog and Deehntr56 like this.
  8. Too cold, I heard that. Been out a couple times in the last few weeks and they were holding tight. Seeing track, but no cotton tails. I'm waiting until temps get back into the 20-30's before I try again. Hopefully that will be before the season ends!!

wildohio22 likes this.
  9. This weekend is looking decent

10. Sunday might get up to 27. but Saturday is only calling for a high of 7. Brr!

11. [​IMG]

My last rabbit hunt, a few years back!! Gonna have to get back out there! It's so much fun hearing the dogs chase!! Love it!! My great uncle Ray, took the pic! Myself Danny Dillaha, and my brother Eric!! We had a blast that day!!

bluedog and Duke0002 like this.
  12. One of our beagles died on Thanksgiving (12.5 yrs old). Her litter-mate sister looks so sad. She has aches and pains (probably arthritis) and hard for her to get up/down the stairs to get outside. Her rabbit chasing days are over. Both were a pleasure to watch hunting for all these years. Cherish your dogs each day in the field!

Bryan six and bluedog like this.
  13. Well that was an unexpectedly productive afternoon hunt. Solo hunt. My 1st three rabbit hunt. My one dog is not thrilled I told her to sit and stay. LOL
    [​IMG]

Bryan six, Duke0002, Wildlife and 5 others like this.
  14. The expression on the dogs face is priceless! Love it.

bluedog likes this.
  15. Omg this reminds me of youth! Beagles howling! Nice looking hounds. Look a bit short legged for that lake effect snow u get drilled with. I'm calling around to some hunters with dogs to hunt my place this year with the rabbit boom I have going on.....nice dogs and kill! Post pics of the final end meal.....

Bryan six likes this.
  16. Here is a little clip of one dog finishing the track. I had put the old dog back in the house at this point. The other dog was still nosing around at the jump site. LOL! Anyway the video is kind of shaky because I was trying to keep up with the dog while I was wearing snowshoes. This is what a 13" beagle has to deal with in the snowbelt. :D :D :D

PeteM, Bryan six and ASC like this.
  17. Yea, she is like " you've got to be kidding me"???

bluedog likes this.
  18. Looks rough!! But I don't think that dog would trade it for anything else in the world blue!!

bluedog likes this.
  19. Went out yesterday in Leetonia. It was cold(upper teens) and the snow was fairly deep. Six of us w/o dogs jumped two rabbits which we got. I was surprised we didn't jump more, although we did see some coyote tracks. We hunted for about three hours and decided to call it a day.

20. Sorry to hear that Duke!! It's hard loosing a good dog!! Cherish the memories!!