Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else going out tomorrow? I will be busting brushpiles with a group of hunters in search of them. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: tinknocker1

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It would be swell to drive up I77 and once again see blaze orange and beagles prominent in the fields along the way.
Good luck to rabbit and pheasant hunters both.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we went with 5 guys on Friday, moved maybe a dozen rabbit all day, got 5. Went with 4 guys saturday morning, were able to get 7. We are our own dogs, so it makes it a little more challenging, but fun times were had all around.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I took Friday off work and the dogs and I made our annual trip to Mosquito Creek for opening day. The area I found that holds some rabbits is super thick with very few openings. The dogs ran 3 rabbits in the several hours we were there. Well I assume they were rabbits because I never saw any of them. 😂😂😂 This was the aftermath.

Dog Dog breed Vehicle Carnivore Comfort

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Sorry to be a bit MIA around here. Life has been super busy and probably will stay that way until after the holidays. I knew there was a rabbit thread started and it took me a bit to find this as I usually go to the small game section. But yes rabbits are upland game too!!

I've not been out rabbit hunting much this year but two days ago on Monday, we had a fun hunt on my farm. My niece and her husband from California were in town visiting. They both hunt and shoot out in California so we invited them to come rabbit hunting on the farm. This is much cheaper than deer hunting since they only had to buy the 3 day non-resident license. They didn't need to bring anything. We have enough orange vests for all and also have enough guns for all. Oh and we had to fit them with some of our many rubber boots since they don't have mud in California and we have more than enough.

The day was beautiful. The tracking conditions weren't great especially after the frost melted and the sun came out to dry out the leaves but the dogs did ok and a fun time was had by all.

Jeans Trousers Plant Sky People in nature

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sorry to be a bit MIA around here. Life has been super busy and probably will stay that way until after the holidays. I knew there was a rabbit thread started and it took me a bit to find this as I usually go to the small game section. But yes rabbits are upland game too!!

I've not been out rabbit hunting much this year but two days ago on Monday, we had a fun hunt on my farm. My niece and her husband from California were in town visiting. They both hunt and shoot out in California so we invited them to come rabbit hunting on the farm. This is much cheaper than deer hunting since they only had to buy the 3 day non-resident license. They didn't need to bring anything. We have enough orange vests for all and also have enough guns for all. Oh and we had to fit them with some of our many rubber boots since they don't have mud in California and we have more than enough.

The day was beautiful. The tracking conditions weren't great especially after the frost melted and the sun came out to dry out the leaves but the dogs did ok and a fun time was had by all.

View attachment 55656

love this!! looks like a great time to me...only missing some snow for those pups to run in.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Another addition for this thread. I went out hunting last weekend. Actually that is not totally accurate. I went out to swap trail cam cards and I happened to take a gun and 2 beagles with me. The dogs crossed a hot track before I even had a chance to change the first card. One perfect circle and I shot my first rabbit of the season. Hard to believe but yes, that was the first rabbit I shot at this season and only 2nd one that I actually took a shot at. Unfortunately about midway through the circle, the rabbit ran through a huge multi-flora rose bush. When the dogs went through the bush, they jumped out a 2nd rabbit and that was the one they ended up following so they never did complete the track to the rabbit I shot.

When that 2nd rabbit ended in a hole, off we went to the trail camera at the back of my farm. On the way, they found another hot track. They tracked that rabbit twice around the swamp with a couple pauses when the rabbit went through water. Those are always very hard spots for the dogs to sort out and get back on track. I came REALLY close to leaving my post and continuing on to the trail cam while they tried to sort things out. In the end, I stayed put and the dogs figured things out. Then FINALLY the rabbit came hopping back toward the jump site and right to my gun.

Two rabbits in my game pouch and I hadn't even changed a single trail cam card. LOL I did swap trail cam cards after this and then dogs and I headed home.

The second rabbit:
Snow Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal

Back at the barn:
Dog Snow Plant Dog breed Carnivore

And some video of the hunt with a RARE shot on the LidCam. I don't know why I have such trouble getting the shot on camera but I do. I was pretty happy when it actually happened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts