Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One more for the freezer yesterday. We were out for 3+ hours. The first rabbit went in a hole. The second rabbit I shot on the fourth circle (first time it came in range). The third rabbit I shot at 4 times (2 times each on 2 different circles) LOL! I had to call the run because it was getting late.

IMG_20210130_175028246.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great video!
My son and I went out on Saturday. We had a couple rabbits jump way ahead of us. We didn't get any shooting. Wish we would have had a dog. My son has a line on a 3 week old pup...so maybe next year.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
2 more for the freezer last Monday. I got permission from one of our brand new neighbors. :D There were rabbits everywhere over there. Several times the dogs ended up on two different rabbits. One of the rabbits I shot was an "auxiliary rabbit". LOL Those are always fun. I stand next to it waiting for the dog to finish the track to the rabbit and the dogs swing wide and keep on going. :D :D These two rabbits were quite large. I've been deboning them all before freezing and one them I got just over 1 pound of deboned meat. I don't have that happen very often. They usually average around 3/4 pound of meat.

IMG_20210201_174523652~2.jpg

And I JUST got permission for a new piece of woods that was logged about 6-7 years ago and butts up against hayfield/pasture. By the looks of it, it should hold some rabbits. Not sure when I will go out there. (Maybe tomorrow but that is a big maybe.)

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
One more rabbit today. LOTS of rabbit into holes today. I wish I could upload video here directly because Lucky's tail action while barking at a rabbit in a hole is too funny. Oh well. I'll probably do a YouTube video on today's hunt eventually. Mid 20s and sunshine with very light wind made for quite pleasant conditions. Dottie was out 3.5 hours before I took her home. I left the other 2 on a rabbit and then rejoined them after I dropped Dottie off at the house. They were out another 1.5 hours so 5 hours total. Lots of snoring beagles in the house tonight. Wanted to wear them out before the snow storm tomorrow. Although if it doesn't snow much during the day, maybe I'll get them out for a short run tomorrow.

I forgot to take a picture in the field so I snapped a quick photo in the barn where I dress out the rabbits I get.

IMG_20210214_150122690.jpg

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The next hunt from January 25th is up on my YouTube channel. This video didn't turn out great because I had some technical difficulties when my LidCam quit working about 1/2 way through the day. Still, I try to keep my videos as to how the hunt enfolds on each rabbit. There were 4 rabbits run this day of which I shot two. Highlights include a little bit of swearing when a rabbit ran by before my gun was loaded, then later I shoot at a rabbit and miss but I do hit a tree, then later on there is some good cell phone video of the dogs coming up on the second rabbit that I shot. :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice! I am in Hudson and when I can get out I usually go to the public land on SR82 near the river. Have not seen any rabbits (no dog) but was happy as I saw tracks last weekend! Keep sharing as I am glad there are still areas with a decent amount of rabbits.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
From last Sunday. If I were a smart person, I would have had those snowshoes on for the first 3 hours of the hunt as well as the last hour and a half. Walking through the snow for 3 hours was BRUTAL. The dogs struggled a bit too but they were troopers and even after 4 and a half hours, they weren't ready to quit. But I was ready to quit. My mood improved dramatically after I went back to the house to get my snowshoes though. :D :D

Oh and Dottie, the old lady, was only out for the last 1.5 hours. I grabbed her when I went to get my snowshoes.

IMG_20210221_154949456_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
After following, and enjoying, your hunts this season I got motivated, and the old boy got excited when he saw the gun and camo/orange, got off the couch and hit the field. Banjo had fun, probably more fun than hunting, but he had several years of rust to knock off. Thought about hitting it today for the final hunt of the season but it’s raining steady here in Indy.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
One more picture from the season. mr. bluedog and I made it out Saturday afternoon (after I got off work) for our 2nd annual hunt on a friend's farm. The dogs ran 4 rabbits of which we got 2. mr bluedog shot one and I shot one. They were tired dogs at the end of the day.

IMG_20210227_173024734_HDR.jpg

Yesterday it rained all morning but dried out in the afternoon. The dogs that hunted Saturday were still a bit tired but ol' 15-year-old Dottie that didn't go on Saturday had ants-in-pants syndrome. So I took her (and Lucky ended up wanting to go too) out in the afternoon. No gun. I swapped trail cam cards. Looked a little for sheds. It was a fine rabbit season to be sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Last hunt, last bunny, and last day of the season. Hunted a strip of land along the river where I grew up. Still lucky enough to own the few acres. Not very productive for rabbits as it completely floods several times a year. Actually can’t recall ever shooting a rabbit along that strip. Plenty of squirrel though as there are lots of black walnut trees. Had a couple trail cams to get out of there before the spring floods so decided to bring Skeeter along just in case. It paid off. Temp got close to 60 on Sunday so Skeeter was a bit parched in the above picture. Finally decided to have a drink halfway back to the truck.

Everyone have a healthy and productive time between now and next season - and enjoy your dogs!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Today was rabbit burger making day. We like rabbit burgers so much that I did every rabbit I shot this season this way. At the time of harvest, I debone the meat and freeze. Today I partially thawed the meat. First time through was coarse grinding blade. This allows me to trim anything that I missed during the initial deboning. Then I weigh the meat and during the fine grind, little by little, I add 5% by weight bacon fat. Then mix and run through the fine grind one more time. Then I make quarter pound patties and freeze them on trays before finally wrapping them in freezer paper, most often in packs of 4 burgers. I had enough to make 48 patties this year. Some of them will be going to 3 different landowners who let me hunt their farms.

·
2,028 Posts
Bluedog, that's pretty cool. I always enjoy your posts and stories.

Reactions: bluedog
21 - 40 of 40 Posts