Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With deer gun seasons over (except muzzleloader), hopefully there is more time to run the dogs. I've been out here and there since the season opened. My goal is not to shoot a lot of rabbits but rather to just enjoy being out with the dogs. However, I do like to put a few rabbits in the freezer. I've also been taking the lidcam along on my hunts this year to get some video. I have two of the hunts up on my YouTube channel with one more yet to edit. Nothing very high quality but certainly a nice way to preserve the memory of a hunt.

Feel free to add your own pictures and stories on this thread.

First video is from the opening Saturday of rabbit season on public land.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The second video is from December 13th on my farm. This is the first rabbit that I shot on my farm this season mostly because the rabbits have been running straight into the corn. Running rabbits in standing corn is GREAT exercise for the dogs but not always productive for shooting rabbits. In this hunt, the corn was mostly picked with just a couple small sections of the field left to harvest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Enjoyed your videos! You have a pair of steady, reliable hounds and some great looking cover for rabbits. Much more level terrain than where I am in SE Ohio. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enjoyed your videos! You have a pair of steady, reliable hounds and some great looking cover for rabbits. Much more level terrain than where I am in SE Ohio. Thanks for posting.
Yep we are pretty flat. When we had our fields tiled many years ago, the surveyor said there was 9 feet of elevation change in one mile. hahahahahaha! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let's keep this thread going.....Here's a short video clip of my pack from December 7th. I had 16 hounds out that day. They jumped this rabbit and ran it across a field and down into a hollow where I was able to get above them for filming. After I lost sight, I stopped the camera. Hope you enjoy the sound of a big pack of hounds!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's keep this thread going.....Here's a short video clip of my pack from December 7th. I had 16 hounds out that day. They jumped this rabbit and ran it across a field and down into a hollow where I was able to get above them for filming. After I lost sight, I stopped the camera. Hope you enjoy the sound of a big pack of hounds!
I always have to "bookmark" videos like this for watching later when I am out of earshot of the beagles in the dining room. :D :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
A great way to spend Inauguration Day. A walk in the woods, gun in hand, and listening to my beagle. Pray we still have the freedom to do the same four years from now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Passed up several opportunities. Two is enough. Just enjoyed watching the rabbits come back around and see how close they got before realizing I was there. Was snowing part of the time. Made it all the enjoyable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes. He definitely had a great day. Didn’t want to quit. Note the tip of his tail. Poor little guy wagged it so hard he bloodied it. Has to inspect the bunnies while in the field before we pack up. And the tailgate has to be down and rabbits ready for inspection again once home. He’s crashed on the couch next to me snoring away and occasionally chasing bunnies again in his sleep.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very nice. I grew up punting upland and rabbit in Michigan. Been here in Central Ohio for 20 years now. Hove only shot one rabbit in that time, but I have always had pointing dogs. My GSP pointed two for me this this year that was sure were either woodcock or pheasant. To my surprise both were rabbits. Got a shot at one of them, but my GSP is pretty athletic and was too close in chase to take any chances. I find it odd that this year I have jumped (or have pointed) 5 rabbits total with other years there were none. Could be I mostly hunt SGA land.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Made it out yesterday and brought home a rabbit. But in the meantime, I finally put together a video of a hunt on December 21, 2020, winter solstice. I came home with a rabbit that day but did not get the shot on camera. The dogs struggled staying on track this day for whatever reason but they kept going. I had a shot after the first circle but I was not expecting the rabbit to come by so soon and from the direction it did. My fingers were inside my fold over mitten top and I could not get my fingers out of the mittens in time to get a shot. I made up for it later though. :D Here is the video from that hunt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts