Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been reading online about training pups to hunt rabbits usind a domesticated rabbit from the pet store. Has anyone done this? I am getting a Brittany Spaniel late summer or early fall.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No. Domestic rabbits have a different scent. If you start your dog on them eventually you will have to get him on the real thing. It will take time for him to adjust...sometimes a LONG time. Better off to start him on cottontails in a pen or a small area where the rabbits are limited on how far they can run.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok where would i get a cottontail. would i use a live trap? ill do more reading this weekend
PantechP2020/JIUS05172010R; Mozilla/5.0 (Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; Opera Mini/att/4.2.19039; U; en-US) Opera 9.50

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Seeing how the rabbit season is closed right now live trapping them is not an option.

I took my first beagle to a guy who had a starter pen. It was a fenced in pen of about an acre or less with many rabbits in it. It had lots of briars, old xmas trees, pipes and lots of cover for the rabbits. It was fun watching the pups learning to do there thing. Some of the nubes had not a clue of what they were doing. Some picked up on it rather quickly.

My friend is no longer in busines.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Look on Craig's List and look go San Juan rabbits. They are used for dog training. I used San Juan's for my Drahthaar.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your infomation and keep it comming. I will look into a starter pen place for sure. I live in Columbus so might have to do a little driving but it will be worth it. I believe I am picking up the pup June 9th.

·
5,049 Posts
I have a friend who has a starting pen. He is located in New Phila Ohio, about 1 1/2 hrs east of Columbus. If you have facebook search Ohio Beagle Starting Pen.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If your main goal is a dog for rabbit hunting why a Brittany? Wouldn't a beagles be a better choice? I raised and trained Brittany Spaniels for years, when we had ruffed grouse, they are fine pointers and retrievers, but are not track runners like a hound would be

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is old thread my dog is now 3 ... I take him everywhere now... We hunt squirrels, rabbits, and sheds. I seem to be able to find rabbits more than pheasants on public and land I hunt so that's what I went with.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is old thread my dog is now 3 ... I take him everywhere now... We hunt squirrels, rabbits, and sheds. I seem to be able to find rabbits more than pheasants on public and land I hunt so that's what I went with.
You mentioned squirrels reminds me of a time in Wisconsin grouse hunting. My dog had had so many productive points We were about to limit out. My hunting buddies had tried to buy my dog when he ran to a tree and treed a squirrel. I had to leash him and drag him away. No more offers!

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Who says brittanys don't hunt rabbits? LOL Truth is mine did not hunt anything but sometimes as luck would have it, she would be out with me and the beagle and I'd shoot a rabbit.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Saw a guy walk on to a public hunting area dove field with a pit bull on a leash. Bragged to everybody he walked past on how great a retriever it was. I was glad he went to the far end of the field. Went once to the public hunting area opening day pheasant release, the paylake of the hunting world, saw hunters with German Shepherds ect. To each his own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts