Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for the firearms afficianados. I recently picked up two double barrel shotguns at an auction for a decent price. One was a Stoeger Coach gun 12 gauge and one was a Savage 411 upland 12 gauge.

They are nice looking guns, but they have both been modified. The Stoeger Coach Gun had about 3 inches of stock removed and now the stock is uneven where the butt-plate would mount. The Savage originally had barrel lengths of 28" with screw-in chokes, but the barrels have been cut down to 24". The cut is clean and nice though. The original owner was an older fellow that was small in stature, hence the modifications.

My question is how much have these modifications impacted the value of these guns? I picked up the Stoeger for $125 and the Savage for $275. Can I recoup my money if I sell these?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
You will have real problems locating a stock for a Stoeger unless you can find out what company made the gun. Stoeger is an importer, not a manufacturer.It would be cost prohibitive to have someone make a stock for it.

The Savage Stevens 411 is made in Russia by Baikal. Savage quit importing them.
Big mistake by whoever wacked the barrels.
In the future, stay away from any gun modified by an amatuer. Even if its a gut feeling that somethings not right about a gun, skip buying it. Unless you know how to repair it and where to get the parts.

·
7,173 Posts
Neither were real valuable to begin with, the idiot previous owner needs beaten. the savage might be usefull to a cowboy shooter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will have real problems locating a stock for a Stoeger unless you can find out what company made the gun. Stoeger is an importer, not a manufacturer.It would be cost prohibitive to have someone make a stock for it.

The Savage Stevens 411 is made in Russia by Baikal. Savage quit importing them.
Big mistake by whoever wacked the barrels.
In the future, stay away from any gun modified by an amatuer. Even if its a gut feeling that somethings not right about a gun, skip buying it. Unless you know how to repair it and where to get the parts.
I sent my wife to the auction because I had to go to work. In her defense I told her what to bid on and what I was willing to pay for it. I was just going off a picture though. Lesson learned. :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you just bought the guns to hunt with, I would put a slip on recoil pad on the Stoeger and leave the Savage as is. Shoot and enjoy them!
8905c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts