Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a bit since I have been on the site. But with hunting season around the corner I need to get back on. My question today is what's everyone's thoughts on the Ruger LC9? I'm looking at getting one for CCW. Just wondering generally what your opinions are. Vance's has them at a great price right now. I'm also wonder about OWB tension holsters? Would love to find a Blackhawk holster to fit. Asking around with buddies to see if anyone has one I can test shoot on the northern Columbus area. Thanks for the help and look forward to gettin back in the discussion

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
22,521 Posts
I own one and like it. I also have the lazer sight installed, and like you, use it mainly when bow hunting etc. They have a new model with the lazer sight installed from the factory now. I installed my own since at that time, that wasn't an option.

The additional clips are getting expensive. I saw one the other day and the retail price on it was $44.99. I can get them for $23.00 with our FFL.

The gun shoots fine- is lightweight and easily carried. I also would like to find a holster that you mentioned but have had very little luck doing so. I think I am going to have one made.

What price is Vance quoting?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Blackhawk holsters for concealed purposes. They hold tight to the hip, and they draw smooth. Any decent retailer will let you try different holsters prior to making the purchase. I would try a few, and select which one you feel comfortable with from there.

I am not, however, a fan of the Ruger pistols. That's just a personal opinion, and doesnt reflect the quality.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'm really hoping I can find one to test out at the range.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Thanks I'm really hoping I can find one to test out at the range.

I like that gun a lot, but I ended up buying a springfield armory XDS 45. It is about as small at the LC9 maybe a bit bigger, but conceals so easy, shoots good, and you can then carry a 45! I love it, I carry it almost daily, and I sleep with it next to me.

I highly recommend you taking a look at it, and I commend you for supporting your right to CCW!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have been carrying the LC9 for about 6 months. I love this gun. A lot complain about the trigger pull but it only took me about 100 rounds to get used to it. I had it to the range just yesterday and shot wonderfully with it. It's a great little gun. Recoil is very mild (for that size gun) and it has been very consistent and problem free for me. I carry it in a desantis pocket holster, usually in my back/hip pocket. I have been thinking about the Crossbreed Minituck. I have a supertuck I use for my Sr9c and it's a GREAT holster. I think the minituck would be very nice for the LC9.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read the reviews about the trigger as well. I have held the gun many times and feel like I will be able to get used to it. If I have time my buddy and I may go pick them up today at Vance's. I appreciate the reviews anyone know of any OWB tension holsters that fit the LC9? I'd love to find a Blackhawks but looking through the charts I haven't doubt a match. I may just need to try a few out this evening. Hope all is well god bless.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked one up yesterday. Put a box through it today. Another few boxes tomorrow. I really like the gun so far.

·
5,040 Posts
Bass Pro has them on their hunting classic flyer for $399 including the laser sight.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I like that gun a lot, but I ended up buying a springfield armory XDS 45. It is about as small at the LC9 maybe a bit bigger, but conceals so easy, shoots good, and you can then carry a 45! I love it, I carry it almost daily, and I sleep with it next to me.

I highly recommend you taking a look at it, and I commend you for supporting your right to CCW!
hmmm in athens you sleep with it...you must really love it...dang:D

·
22,521 Posts
hmmm in athens you sleep with it...you must really love it...dang:D
In Columbus you would "Marry" it!:biggrin:

Good job DR.- You'll have fun with it- I shot several clips on Friday.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not found a holster I like yet. I wish Blackhawks had one for the LC9. I picked it up at Vance's for $299 w/o laser. If push comes to shove I still have contact indie from My ccw instructor who makes custom holsters. I will keep looking put another box through it today. I want to find a nice set of night sights for it as well. Really like it. I think vances will have that price till the 9th

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering a custom made Kydex holster any experience with these anyone?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a crossbreed holster and love it. You dont even no the gun is there. I use the iwb type but they have various other styles. You might check them out..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts