Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year was my first year hunting Ohio..I'm from away like most folks..Maine..anyways I'm doing a DIY hunt real cheapo hunt..I scout a piece of public ground..I find some decent sign..I scan the area no treestands in sight...I sit the first morning and see a few deer..

Next morning I go back to the same tree 2 hours before light, I want to listen to whats going on in the woods...1.5 hours later or .5 before daylight I see a flashlight coming in my direction..I took my light out and give the hunter a quick courtesy blink blink of my light..so he knows of my presence..he stops and blinks back...and he continues directly towards me..I'm getting irritated at this point, especially the size of this public ground...I than blink again...he blinks again...and he continues towards me..he stops at 25 yards, his light goes out...I can hear the dumbass setting up a climber right next to me...I was absolutley furious...I know I don't own this land, is this common practice?? What do you guys think...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Seems to happen to me all the time when duck hunting but it is frustrating when deer hunting I try to get in as deep as I can to try and avoid it from happening

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Thats pretty disrespectful if you ask me. Wouldnt say its common or that all hunters would do that. Just shows what kind of idiots its possible to run into on public. I would have let him get settled in then got up and walked a big circle around him makin as much noise as possible and left. What a jerk.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
wow...dont get that...i guess i've been lucky...most guys want to be alone too and move on...just dont make any sense why somebuddy would do that...but i have had that problem...on public and on private...both were really irritating but the one on the wayne beat all when a guy.actually two tried to stop me from hunting my stand...you see these guys had left all their stuff including bows deep in the woods near where i had been hunting.as i was going in in the dark these guys followed me all the way to my stand and proceeded to tell me i couldnt hunt it...one had his stuff less than 50 yds.away.but the other was a good ways off...normally i would have gave them the spot but just because they practically ordered me out of there even though i had got to the pull off well before them and was on my way in when they spotted me...jumping from their truck and running me down telling me i couldnt hunt there...ah ha ha ha...and in this case they were out of staters...but as said i've had encounters on private too all 5 on relatives...5 people total...2 locals and 2 from ohio cities and 1 from michigan...a couple were in my stands and were using trad equip.:yikes:...it took a few yrs. to finally get these guys off the place but finally we did...they wont be back...:Dat my other relatives place they were locals...trespassing...messed me up bad...sad thang is they knew the landowners well and couldve stopped in any day of the year and got permission to hunt...i can kind of understand it on public and if the guy seems decent about it,and really likes the spot...i'll prolly move to another...but on private...hes going bye bye...especially when i'm related to the owner...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Happened to me on public last year...i stayed in my tree and hunted anyways. He climbed down after a couple hours and came over to talk to me!

Had some people with dogs walk under me last year, that was special. They saw me at 30 yards out, one pointed at me, told his buddy, and then continued right under and said hi on their way through.

I have a really hard time getting motivated to hunt public land anymore.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Public land fun:

1. Amish guy stalk'n my turkey decoys -
2. Guy set up oppoiste in a small feed lot - he saw me and waved - so close we could have shot
each other - i packed up my stuff - walked out into the center of the
lot and tooked a pee and said it all yours :eek:
3. Two guys walked thru my turkey decoy set at Dorset - they came
in well after it began to get light - i had set up a hour and a half
befor sunrise
4. Guy tried to sneak up behind me while turk hunt'n said he wanted
to see how close he could get afore i noticed - he didn't like what
i had ta say - this was at Dorset also
5. Guy set up his tent in the middle of a trail head at Burr Oak during
early musket season - said that we couldn't go down the trail cuz
it was his spot - he was still try'n ta get dressed and get his camp
in order - haaaaa
6. Run two guys off turk hunt'n a week afore the season - Deer Creek -
Portage County
7. Had two guys stop under my tree stand for a smoke - they were grouse
hunting - they never saw me till i said - HELLO DOWN THERE - scared
the crap out of them - too funny - Leesville

Well i have always respected other hunters and never encroach on others
spot or position

I don't hunt pubic land anymore - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Never had anything like that happen during bow season only gun. Several times during gun season, had guys walk right under my stand. Didn't even know I was there. I don't mind them walking around during gun as it stirs up the deer. I've had other hunter run deer right back at me.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Never had any issues during bow season. Turkey hunting....I could type all day on the morons I have delt with. Gun season about the same. I tend to be more tolerant with gun hunter because they move the deer around. It does make me wonder how they could ever see a deer when they can't see a 200lb pumpkin in tree.:coco:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Never had any issues during bow season. Turkey hunting....I could type all day on the morons I have delt with. Gun season about the same. I tend to be more tolerant with gun hunter because they move the deer around. It does make me wonder how they could ever see a deer when they can't see a 200lb pumpkin in tree.:coco:
When I turkey hunt state ground, I go when its rainin so there aint as many people

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
207 Posts
I hunt public a lot and have had this happen to me more than I can count. Heck, last year alone, I had 3 different occasions of someone setting up on me while I was already in the stand, ROTC or reserves doing training runs through the public grounds (ran right under my tree), and couple of guys running their beagles when it wasn't even rabbit season... just know that it's gonna happen and don't get too worked up about it. When it does happen, I like to get down and move, but sometimes I'll just stay put. Knowing the area and the direction the others enter from, sometimes I know the deer are going to show up from the other direction and then I can put on a show for them (I've shot two while someone else is within 100 yds of my location).

I hate to say it, but I've done it before. I try to walk in and out of the woods looking at where I'm placing my feet and scanning the trees for other hunters. Occassionally, you just don't see 'em till it's too late. At that point, stop, back up quietly, and take the longest distance around that you possibly can.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Seems to happen to me all the time when duck hunting but it is frustrating when deer hunting I try to get in as deep as I can to try and avoid it from happening

I can see that happening a lot in NE Ohio. I like to deer hunt by the swampy stuff, but I usually know where you guys like to be around here. So I usually don't bump into you. How do people drop in on you? Can't they see all the decoys?

·
Registered
182 Posts
O people can see the decoys but It jus comes down to some ppl just don't care or have respect others and set up down the bank 30 yards a way and sky bust so u can't get good shoots. And when deer hunting I don't really mind someone walking up on me but it piss me off when they c u and walk of 60 yards or so and.climb a tree like just becuse they can't see u it doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Happens all the time on public land; you just have to deal with it as best you can because you are not going to change dumba$$ behavior.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep sad tho when ppl do it with kids and more or less tell them it's ok to take far shoots on ducks and sit down right next to another group

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice buck. Got to love it did u make sure to drag it past them and wave lol

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
To play a little devils advocate here:

I know it sucks when you're on public, or even private for that matter and have someone come in on "your" hunt. I've never really had it happen to me to where I was upset about it. I've learned to expect it; probably because when I first started hunting, I hunted public and it was a little place called Eastfork State Park.
This place would get hammered. I mean every pull off would have a car in it. There wasn't a lot of places to park, but usually plenty of room to get away from everybody else. How I would deal with it is if I was going in and heard someone else pull in I'd double back and try to explain exactly where I was going. It usually worked out better than having them walk right thu where I was set up. I also started leaving little signs, especially if I was with more than one person stating there were X amount of guys back in this area. We never had an issue with folks coming in. I've since switched where I hunt and I never ever have a problem except for the deer drivers. They don't care or they really can't defer from the plan, so it really doesn't bother me. I've also learned that when they do do a drive to get back behind them and just creep, you'll see more deer than having them bump them out of the area (this is usually just for when you're still hunting, it'd be kinda hard packin your stand).
As far as being on the stand and having someone come in on you, maybe that's their spot and they really don't know where else to go. I agree, if you're parked in a place and there's other places to go, you should definitely find another place to go. But, I've learned that most guys who do this are either brand spanking new or guys who think they know it all.
My first year of turkey hunting I scouted out this place with my brother. It was out in Vinton County and the place was well off the beaten path. We got there about 2 hrs. before shooting time because it was a pretty long walk in (reckon about a mile just to get to the area). Well, we park off the highway and didn't see a single car anywhere on the road. We get ready and start walkin in. We get fairly close to the patch of woods just beyond a little field and I see a cherry from a cigarette. I was like how the hell did this guy get in here before us without is seeing him? Anyway, I tell my brother there's a dude up next to the woods smokin. I asked if we should go talk to him and he says "No". So, I light up a cigarette do he knows we're there and we're kinda at a stand still. This guy is right where we were going to go. I tell my brother I'm going to go see where he's going so we don't mess him up. Long story short we talk, he's not happy, we don't know where else to go. He says he's going over here so we go over there, but yet the dude still ends up where we went. I don't know if he was trying to be a p-Rick or what, but it was my first ever turkey hunt and I really didn't know what I was doing. I hear three gobblers start after I hit my slate. It was the first time I'd ever heard a turkey gobble and I'll never forget it. I hear em come off the roost and hear this other guy start calling a ridge over. I hit my slate call again and theyre just hammerin comin towards me. My bloods pumpin, my brother comes towards me and tells me he'll call for me and just to get ready to shoot one. I'm set now, I got someone callin 30 yrds behind me and three gobblers comin. It's all coming together-BUT for the dude who decides to try to get between me and these gobblers. I hear him calling now about 40 yards to my left and I'm like *** guy. So I sit there hoping my brother has em locked in. My brother would call, the dude would call. It was a battle. Well, after a few minutes of this the birds just shut up. Nothing. I then hear someone from my left walking up on me. Guess who- yup, the dude. He said we ran his turkey off and when you hear someone calling you're not supposed to call etc. a real dude.
So is it ethical to set up on someone? No, but expect it and try to get back in where there won't be a question.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
To play a little devils advocate here:

I know it sucks when you're on public, or even private for that matter and have someone come in on "your" hunt. I've never really had it happen to me to where I was upset about it. I've learned to expect it; probably because when I first started hunting, I hunted public and it was a little place called Eastfork State Park.
This place would get hammered. I mean every pull off would have a car in it. There wasn't a lot of places to park, but usually plenty of room to get away from everybody else. How I would deal with it is if I was going in and heard someone else pull in I'd double back and try to explain exactly where I was going. It usually worked out better than having them walk right thu where I was set up. I also started leaving little signs, especially if I was with more than one person stating there were X amount of guys back in this area. We never had an issue with folks coming in. I've since switched where I hunt and I never ever have a problem except for the deer drivers. They don't care or they really can't defer from the plan, so it really doesn't bother me. I've also learned that when they do do a drive to get back behind them and just creep, you'll see more deer than having them bump them out of the area (this is usually just for when you're still hunting, it'd be kinda hard packin your stand).
As far as being on the stand and having someone come in on you, maybe that's their spot and they really don't know where else to go. I agree, if you're parked in a place and there's other places to go, you should definitely find another place to go. But, I've learned that most guys who do this are either brand spanking new or guys who think they know it all.
My first year of turkey hunting I scouted out this place with my brother. It was out in Vinton County and the place was well off the beaten path. We got there about 2 hrs. before shooting time because it was a pretty long walk in (reckon about a mile just to get to the area). Well, we park off the highway and didn't see a single car anywhere on the road. We get ready and start walkin in. We get fairly close to the patch of woods just beyond a little field and I see a cherry from a cigarette. I was like how the hell did this guy get in here before us without is seeing him? Anyway, I tell my brother there's a dude up next to the woods smokin. I asked if we should go talk to him and he says "No". So, I light up a cigarette do he knows we're there and we're kinda at a stand still. This guy is right where we were going to go. I tell my brother I'm going to go see where he's going so we don't mess him up. Long story short we talk, he's not happy, we don't know where else to go. He says he's going over here so we go over there, but yet the dude still ends up where we went. I don't know if he was trying to be a p-Rick or what, but it was my first ever turkey hunt and I really didn't know what I was doing. I hear three gobblers start after I hit my slate. It was the first time I'd ever heard a turkey gobble and I'll never forget it. I hear em come off the roost and hear this other guy start calling a ridge over. I hit my slate call again and theyre just hammerin comin towards me. My bloods pumpin, my brother comes towards me and tells me he'll call for me and just to get ready to shoot one. I'm set now, I got someone callin 30 yrds behind me and three gobblers comin. It's all coming together-BUT for the dude who decides to try to get between me and these gobblers. I hear him calling now about 40 yards to my left and I'm like *** guy. So I sit there hoping my brother has em locked in. My brother would call, the dude would call. It was a battle. Well, after a few minutes of this the birds just shut up. Nothing. I then hear someone from my left walking up on me. Guess who- yup, the dude. He said we ran his turkey off and when you hear someone calling you're not supposed to call etc. a real dude.
So is it ethical to set up on someone? No, but expect it and try to get back in where there won't be a question.

turk huntin can create a lotta problems that really ain nobuddys fault...its the nature of the type huntin thats based on sound...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Not when he knew exactly where we were. I wouldn't have done it to him or anyone for that matter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts