Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend owns a Barnett Revolution XS. I know it's an ancient crossbow, but it's served me well throughout the years. It hasn't been filmed that often...probably no more than 25 times each year. He used to be able to fire out to about 25 yards without much drop in the bolt.

Last weekend, we were having things sighted in. His Barnett was still quite accurate with small groups, but the bolt was falling about 3" from 15 to 20 yards, and then another 3-4" from 20 to 25 yards.

What may be the source of this? Something has definitely changed for him to go from a flat shooter out to 25 yards to what he is presently experiencing...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
depends on the original bow speed, arrow weight (aluminum vs. carbon), field point weight....could be string stretch, limb fatigue (materials can fatigue even with no cracks)..were you lubing the rail every 5 shots?
even a new crossbow has a point where the arrow starts to drop significantly after a certain range my bow at 370FPS drops big after 50yds..target shots at 55 to 60 (way out of effective hunting range) showed me it dropped significantly in a short distance ...it seems to not be a linear arc (even though gravity is constant, weird) ....

bows do have a finite life expectancy.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts