Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got me a 20 gauge express this weekend, Brought it home ,and I notice that when I sight down the barrel the grid on the reciever doesn't line up with the rib on the barrel,it off a .1/8 in,The grid on the receiver is to the right,the barrel fits fine,Also the forearm rubs the barrel leaving a drag mark,I haven't shot this gun yet emailed remington to see what they say . Has or does anyone else have this problem or am I just nit picking
I got a 1100 that I had for better than 20 years and the barrel lines up perfect,

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow

They Produce some pretty shotguns and most are reliable but IMO there craftmanship is Crap.
The saying "They dont make them like they used too" is perfect.
That old 1100 is clasic.
I found looking for new shotgun I had to look at Benelli and Beretta too find craftsmenship I was looking for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply All,I got a 870 12 gauge express, It never failed me but it got it's little quirkes,I looked at a few more 870's the last few days,They all have parts that are not lined up,You think with todays milling machines parts should line up better than what I have seen,With a name like Remington the way they pride their self you think they watch there Quality control better,
I took the gun back to the dealer yesterday He a allright Dealer he took the 870 back and going to send it to a Remington repair shop, So I ordered a Benilla Nova 20 gauge, From what I am hearing they are a better quality shotgun, Hope what I here is right, Thanks again for the reply's

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i don't care if it don't line up...as if i notice,long as it keeps on workin thats all i care and i think the remingtons have proved theirselves and the 870 is affordable to poor folks that want to hunt...for this i applaud the mossbergs,remington an winchester for all those good weapons they have made over the years...sorta like fords,chevys,plymouths

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some of the guys on the "inside" tell me that Remington has a bad habit of engineering their weapons so they won't fit quite right whcih causes them to wear out and require part or complete replacement. This practice I guess started with the first offering of the 30-06 semi-auto where the bolt was made to slam into the rear of the receiver intentionally. :eek:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good Choice

W2 slow good choice, I dont think you will need to send it back to Benelli :D
George nobody doubt weather the 870 is funtional.
You get what you pay for!
My brother has 870 express he hates it. He usses his shotguns allot and takes care of them too.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
well the only problem i've had in 15 yrs. with the 870is it is locked in my gun vault and i cant get to it...i know of those that have had em since they were 1st made and they are still performin,now thats what is good for a your money...thats called a bargain sted of getting scalped

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know about the 870s George cause I can't keep one long enough to find out!:eek: I just bought my sixth one; never had more than one at the house at a time. Daughters keep changing husbands and I keep losing them to Sons-in-laws!! Anyway I plan to stick an extra full Hevi-shot choke tube on this one. My buddy down Kentucky way tells me it improves the shot pattern by about fifty percent. He says that he used the Hevi-shot with the tube at 60 yards and got virtually the same shot count in the tartget head area that he did at 40 yards without the tube or Hevi-shot. Shoot, if we can get her out another twenty yards we won't even need a call! :D I've used the 870- for squikrrel, rabbit, grouse, groundhog and deer and only ever had one problem. The rear sight kept flopping loose on the first one I bought. Mostly my fault I guess cause I shluld have re-checked it before going into the field.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys, As for function, the 870 is a solid gun But in the last few years quality has Sliped, This was the 3th Remington shotgun that I have sent back or traded off for minor defect's,in 5 years, 870 super express cheap bolt cover,piece of tin to help cover up the longer hole for the bolt, 1187 order it from gunshop, barrel was machined off center,Dealer sent it back, the next one was the same finally he called his Dist. He found one in stock with a good barrel, This gun look good and shot good for the first shot But jammed usually on the second shot,Found out the magazine tube was kinked where it went into the receiver, Then the 20 gauge.
I got my dads model 33 22 singleshot ,a 581 22 bolt, a Nylon 66 and my 1100 all these guns show wear from use, Not to mention all the other's I had in the past (1985 back) look at how the metal lines up or how they fit together, someone back then took the time to be sure everything fit proper,When I buy a gun From a company like Remington or winchester or the other brand names,(Maybe I am nitpicken) the barrels should line up with the recevier and the fit overall should be 99%.
Aimrite ,I have looked at a few of the 12 gauge's in the shops lately they look good, The Dealer said the 20 would be in the first of april.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i must be lucky,i have owned several rem.,win.,and a mossbergs,all bottom line in their brand and never had one jam or misfire...most products today are not made like they use to make em

·
Registered
378 Posts
LOLGeorge

Gearge here is an analogy you might understand.
Compare say Chrysler to a Mercedes, Both preform everyday driving task yet the Mercedes outperforms it in every other way.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
mercedes in most cases is to show ones status in life...i went to an auction today and they had very old wingmaster and model 12s and these guns were sharp and performing as good as the day they were bought...they had 22 guns and at least 100 reels mostly old pfluegers,shakespeares,langleys ,bronson ,ocean city, penns...lots of flyfishing too/bamboo rods and steel rods,100s of old wooden lures,duck decoys wow unbelievable...most guns went between 100-150$ and in excellent shape...but i was lookin for bows...no bows

·
Registered
343 Posts
Remington

I have 2 Remingtons and I love them both. I have a 12 ga Wingmaster and a 410 1100 LW. Both are not brand new and the 410 was extremely hard to find but worth it. I would put my 12 ga against any pump gun that you would like and I would bet it shoots just as nice if not better than even the more expensive guns. I have been out with a couple guys on here clay shooting and deer hunting and they will verify its one heck of a gun. Also I would like to add its not always the gun its the person shooting it :D :D Just kiddin guys Im just a big remington fan.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
seems a lot of people i know have remingtons and winchesters...matter of fact about everybuddy i know have a remington or winchester and a ford or a chevy.or dodge

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Having the best for your money I would not consider a status or a life style Image.I to looked at remington's before I spent my
money.they could not match the Benelli auto loader.at the time the (new) Remington's were having Jamming problems.the older
1100 models were good gun's .the 1187 auto was having problem's when I was in the market.the recoil system in the Benelli is the best on the market to this day.try to put small brass
in the remington followed by high brass do this several time's.the
benelli never jams.It use's the inertia (kinetic energy) to recoil.no gas operation to fail.no gaskets to replace.result no jamming.as far as price.for the better quality. not a lot of differance.now I do own remington guns the high power rifle 7400 that I have had no problem's and has never failed me.as for shot guns on the high end of quality the can't compete. now that Benelli has the pump on the market it is only gonna get harder for them to compete if they do not look at quality that they put on the market.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i am no xpert but i can assure you i shoot everything from low brass to 3"mag. in my field grade cheapie 870,think i paid 250$ new for it...i work at a apt. complex and find lots of shells and bullets so i shoot all kinds of stuff...nary a problem here

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
With all the shells you find. Which brand shoots the best out of your gun?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts