Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
Wildlife Habitat
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enjoyed the workshop presentations this morning. Thank you!
Glad to hear you made it. I wasn’t able to unfortunately. Share a few things you found interesting or learned if you would.

· Registered
168 Posts
I am sure everyone who attended took away different things, but a few things for me were:

Good presentation from OSU professor Bob Gates on quail mortality. He stated males may travel 12 miles in extreme examples, or 5 miles more typically to reach good habitat. If you build it, they may come?

Good demonstration of edge cutting and chainsaw use, safety, application of herbicides from Wolf Creek Wildlife Area Manager Ken Ritchie and habitat consultant Seth Rankin (we actually heard wild quail calling in the woods behind them as they were presenting).

Enjoyed meeting farm owner Art Saylor and the look at the habitat he has on his farm, which is managed specifically for wildlife. I imagine he has a great rabbit population.

Great lunch provided by a couple of guys from the Crown City Chapter of Quail Forever.

Despite rotten weather, an interesting morning. I hope Jason Jones and the Quail Forever crew can organize more of these. Lots of DNR representation there today too!

· Premium Member
Wildlife Habitat
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure everyone who attended took away different things, but a few things for me were:

Good presentation from OSU professor Bob Gates on quail mortality. He stated males may travel 12 miles in extreme examples, or 5 miles more typically to reach good habitat. If you build it, they may come?

Good demonstration of edge cutting and chainsaw use, safety, application of herbicides from Wolf Creek Wildlife Area Manager Ken Ritchie and habitat consultant Seth Rankin (we actually heard wild quail calling in the woods behind them as they were presenting).

Enjoyed meeting farm owner Art Saylor and the look at the habitat he has on his farm, which is managed specifically for wildlife. I imagine he has a great rabbit population.

Great lunch provided by a couple of guys from the Crown City Chapter of Quail Forever.

Despite rotten weather, an interesting morning. I hope Jason Jones and the Quail Forever crew can organize more of these. Lots of DNR representation there today too!
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.