Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Shawnee state forest worth a look at to hunt deer during archery season? Looks like lots of land in the Southern part of the state!

Fish Whisperer

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
the deer are there but its a challenging hunt and prolly will even get more challenging to get a deer out once you have bagged it...:biggrin:

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's not that bad there. Remember half your walk is downhill! I learnt to hunt in Eastern Kentucky and the trick is to find a ridge and just walk that ridge as long as you can until you get to where you want to go.. Same for taking a deer out. Then when you're close you just head down the ridge and gravity is on your side. Spoilt Ohio boys! :whistle:;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas !! Scioto is also in my sights...do they have check stations? It's hard to find maps and info on these places...any info is welcome!

Fish Whisperer

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Reckon I'll add to that.
Shawnee is difficult to bow hunt, but I know guys who are very successful. It's usually out of staters who hunt long and hard and usually just the rut. The locals do pretty good too- HCstudent is a testament to that.
I don't usually bow hunt the forest (I've got easier places to hunt around the house). I do however always hunt the early season, gun (both) and late ML season. You'll either love it or hate it.
There's check station in friendship, otway, Bluecreek as well as bueny (buena vista) portsmouth etc. so they're in about all parts or near every part of the forest.
Be prepared for the briers (bring garden shears) and try to get back in there and hunt the saddles.
As far as following a ridge, they're tricky. You'll think you're somewhere where your not and come off a mile or do away. Get the topos of the forest. They'll come in handy finding pinch points. Then ride around a little and find an area you like, check it out on the topo and find the pinch points.
Also, try to bow hunt prior to the early season or the rut, it's probably going to be your best bet. Not sayin that you can't kill anything after them, but things do change.
If you put in your time, you'll do fine.
PM me if you have any more questions- I really hate typing, I'd rather just call you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ive never deer hunted it but have **** hunted around there and other hilly places and if you stay on the ridges like others have said thats your easiest walking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone!! Was only there for a day an seen a p&y!!! Got the blood pumping although I'm not a horn hunter I'm not gonna turn em down lol! Side note I have never seen so many acorns in my life is that typical in that forest? Jericho I tried to send u a message but it says your inbox is full..

Fish Whisperer

·
Registered
3 Posts
MvAll the forest in Ohio are worth the time and effort. Especially around the Acorns and Agriculture bordering private farmland!!

Cajun Concealment
Kydex Holsters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts