Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Public Land specific Law Questions

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jrose 
#1 ·
Few questions on the laws if you could provide a link I'd appreciate it.
Did some reading and either didn't find the answer to the following or what I found was unclear to me:
1) Can you field quarter a deer and pack it out?
2) Are permanent stands legal on public land? (I will definitely not do this but just for general knowledge if I come across one)
3) Is it legal to cut/remove brush or anything? Not planning on doing anything major but maybe saw a limb here or there and if it's ok to screw a bow hanger into a tree...
4) and Last a particular State Forest I've scouted has signs that say no entry outside of 6:00am to 11pm. Is this the same during hunting season? 6am entry is way late to try to get a morning hunt in. What are the times for regular Game lands? I'm used to hunting public land with times of 4:00am entry and I usually enter 4:00am on the dot and sit in the dark for a good while but helps me get a jump on others

Thanks Fellas

#3 ·
I know you can't use screw in steps so I'm assuming you cannot use a screw in bow holder because of damage it can cause to trees. I know you can't remove brush or any living vegetation either, a small branch might be ok but you really should call the ODNR for your questions because if you get walked up on by ODNR it will be on public land. Some parks have different rules as well so you need to check all posted signs and maybe visit an information desk where they will have more signs and possibly pamphlets about what you can and cannot do on the land.

1-800-WILDLIFE(945-3543)

#4 ·
I know you can't use screw in steps so I'm assuming you cannot use a screw in bow holder because of damage it can cause to trees. I know you can't remove brush or any living vegetation either, a small branch might be ok but you really should call the ODNR for your questions because if you get walked up on by ODNR it will be on public land. Some parks have different rules as well so you need to check all posted signs and maybe visit an information desk where they will have more signs and possibly pamphlets about what you can and cannot do on the land.

1-800-WILDLIFE(945-3543)
10-4 thanks..not super worried about the brush or bow hanger I figured that's pretty standard..Not allowed but if you don't go overboard you usually won't have trouble.
I'll call the particular State Forest about the 6am issue

Man thing I was looking to get an answer on here is quartering deer in the field..but guess I'll try to find an email address or make the phone call if I have to. I prefer having my answers in writing i.e. finding it in the regulations or having and email answer

Thanks again

#5 ·
Quick google search found this.

Runtime Error

Gutting/Viscera in the Field: It is unlikely that hunters would increase CWD transmission by leaving gutted abdominal parts (not the head or spinal cord) in the field.

Looks like a no go on the quartering, might only be able to leave a gut pile behind, no head or spinal cord.

#6 ·
As for the packing out. We have done this and done this with the warden fully aware of our doing it. No problems here. When you get right down to it, it's the warden that makes the call on all actions, be they by the book or not. We trim shooting lanes here and yes, the wardens have seen the shooting lanes and did not show concern with it. Screw in anything is not tolerated around here. With that said .... Baiting on public land is...by the local wardens. Go figure, because it isn't legal by the book :tsk:
I am assuming it's the Amish community that sets the standard in these here parts.

#7 ·
Just because your counties warden doesn't say anything about it doesn't mean it is allowed. Follow the laws that the ODNR places and puts in writing, if a county warden comes up and tickets you for something that is allowed by law then you appeal it and it will be dropped because their is written law allowing it. The issues with leaving the head and spine behind is disease.
Some of our wardens have been caught hunting while they are on duty and getting paid, they are not perfect and can be as corrupt or more corrupt than some of the other officials of this state/country that are facing multiple felony counts right now. You don't want to go down with them trying to say well he let me do it because they will just show you the written regulations that state the exact opposite and start throwing fines at you or possibly worse.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
you can not harm trees in any way...gws have told me you can trim small limbs to shoot but i dont trust that...i will tie them out of the way or use a bungie cord......you can use ladderstands or hang ons but must remove them before the last day of archery season...:Di have be also been told by gws and wnf people that they have no problem if small maples are cut down...they hate maples and fear they will take over the forest over the oaks and hickories etc...maples thick canopy destroys all growth...i've seen some places where maples have taken over and theres only dirt beneath...but again i'm not pushing my luck,i dont cut...:D

#9 ·
The only thing you could probably get away with taking a chainsaw onto public land is cutting the kudzo vine. This stuff is terrible and is completely blanketing a lot of forests around the Athens area. Every year I hear the neighbors out in the woods fighting this crap and it is like a never ending battle. For one it is not the easiest task finding where the vine actually starts so you just go around cutting each and every one you find. Warden would still stop by and ask what in the @#$% you are doing though lol.

#10 ·
The only thing you could probably get away with taking a chainsaw onto public land is cutting the kudzo vine. This stuff is terrible and is completely blanketing a lot of forests around the Athens area. Every year I hear the neighbors out in the woods fighting this crap and it is like a never ending battle. For one it is not the easiest task finding where the vine actually starts so you just go around cutting each and every one you find. Warden would still stop by and ask what in the @#$% you are doing though lol.
chainsaws are allowed on the wnf...for cutting dead wood...and theres tons of that but there is a limit to what can be cut...we cut enough that will keep our campfire going during deer camp(wn)every night for 9 days...some use it for a woodburner in their tent...i think we can legally cut up to a cord or two for that length of time...we cut and split...we prolly dont come near a cord because theres a lot of deadwood laying around that can be picked up and thrown in the fire...:biggrin:

#11 ·
Ohio has public hunting areas, state forests, state parks, the wayne national forest and a variety of privately owned lands that are posted with public hunting signs.
There is some variation in rules or regulations in all of the different lands, for example state parks have individual rules, not all the same such as dates when public hunting is OK. Then also are special areas with very limited hunting Like the Ravenna Arsenal, Plumbrook Nasa, Mosquito Waterfowl Refuge has both public and restricted land.

Moral of the story, start with obtaining a brochure on the specific area, check it out for signs, For example Highlandtown public hunting has two sections of Yellow Creek State forest abutting it.

Then there is the real mystery places that do not have any signs and may only have spray paint marking boundary lines. Some places have never had a real survey
if there is an office or maintenance building go ask questions of employees.

#12 ·
As for the packing out. We have done this and done this with the warden fully aware of our doing it. No problems here. When you get right down to it, it's the warden that makes the call on all actions, be they by the book or not. We trim shooting lanes here and yes, the wardens have seen the shooting lanes and did not show concern with it. Screw in anything is not tolerated around here. With that said .... Baiting on public land is...by the local wardens. Go figure, because it isn't legal by the book :tsk:
I am assuming it's the Amish community that sets the standard in these here parts.
i've asked several gw's the skinny on baiting and all i've heard is no...turks or deer...i have seen salt blocks and corn piles on the wnf...i think the corn was for turks since it was around turk season...i'll report any baiting site i see or anyone i see doing it...we dont need it here...:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.