Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am new to Ohio and just wondering what the general consensus is on shooter bucks on public land. Are most hunters out to get 150" deer? Or 3-4+ yr old deer? I was wondering if most hunters on public land would let decent 2.5 yr old deer walk to see them the following year? Just some input from your experiences would be helpful. I would like to say that I would let a good 2.5 to 3 yr old walk, if I thought that fellow hunters would do the same... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Honestly it will depend when and where you hunt. If you could hunt a smaller area with not many people around. I mean as a bowhunter. If you are shotgun or handgunning or even muzzleloading. You will need to take whatever comes your way.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've hunted public land in gun season and it was horrible. Out of staters which I'm one also but they shot every deer that ran by I believe. I seen 2 scrubs around 70" and both were shot when they went around ridge from me. Along with does everywhere. I didn't shoot a deer and wouldn't unless it was a mature deer. It may vary where you go but I doubt it if your focus is public in gun season.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i have let up to 140 walk...the last one turned into a 170 and was killed by a pa.hunter...i had it very close the week he killed it...i never passed when it was 170...just could not get the shot...dang...i have prolly seen 3 deer in the over 150 range in the last 5-7 yrs.and maybe 1-2 kilt in our camp...they are there...but in most cases youll go home empty handed mumbling to yourself why yoy didnt take the 140...:biggrin:if you can handle that ok...there is a very good chance the big boys get thru...:biggrin:they got a big forest to hide in and they know where to go to survive another year...:biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I've hunted public land in gun season and it was horrible. Out of staters which I'm one also but they shot every deer that ran by I believe. I seen 2 scrubs around 70" and both were shot when they went around ridge from me. Along with does everywhere. I didn't shoot a deer and wouldn't unless it was a mature deer. It may vary where you go but I doubt it if your focus is public in gun season.
instaters as well as the locals go by the if its brown its down rule which equals to a lot of fawns,yearlings and small 6's...anythang over that is usually gone to the hiding grounds before day 1...the big boys been here 3 yrs. now and they are the survivors...:biggrin:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Haha sorry sorry.. I just saw this was in the bowhunting section. I have only bow hunted in public land once but it was solid. Not to bad. I would just find the most desolate place that people have parked and attempt to go in there. Walk back in a good ways and just wait. The deeper you go in off the roads the better off you are.

Lots of lazy hunters down there. Don't get me wrong not saying everyone is. Just a lot of people are. Honestly might be best to wait til week two? Coonskinner could probably tell you better. As he is from down more towards central Ohio and my experience was good while back.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
419....Lazy because they sit in a tree all day? Or lazy because they grab some buddys and drive the deer? Oh you mean because they just don't walk that far.. I see...

I have noticed that no matter what you do as a hunter you are going to be called something..

Maybe they dont walk in to far so they don't spook the deer. Or maybe they don't walk in very far hoping the guys that do spook the deer to them.

I'm just bust-in your balls.. But really I have noticed that really it doesn't matter how you hunt someone will have a problem with them..

To anwser your question.. It's a 50%/%50 split. Hunters that get out just the gun season will shoot most anything. Hunters that get out for bow and have hunted for many years will hold out for the big one..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well all of that? lol.

When I am hunting I do my homework. I understand that some people don't have the time but you can tell just how they are. I don't normally have a problem with people who can't make it in far but I do have a problem with drivers. Do we really still call that hunting? Or just shooting.

It's why I suggested moving in a bit farther than he would normally because you'll have a lot of border people. People who just sit close to the trails or the roads. If you can get inside a good ways early and in a good position you have a better shot at a large deer. In my opinion at least.

I just find deer hunting to be a big part of what you put into it. I guess as long as you're enjoying it to each your own. Yet I prefer not to be a part of the push groups.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what about this guy? He's a younger stud with a solid rack and awesome genetics.(won't let me put a pic on from my iPad but he's a tall 120-130 inch 8 pt, or there abouts in measurement and probably no more than a 3 yr old) I would love to let him walk if he came under my stand, just to see him next year, but there are other factors.
I would hate to pass him up and then have another hunter take him, or even worse, put a bad shot on him.
I'm a fairly new and younger hunter and he would be my biggest yet. especially doing my own scouting without my dads help.
Being that I'm only a bow hunter, he is a solid deer for a bow and on public land for that matter.
And lastly, this is my first season in OH and I'm thinking he would be a great start to many years of hunting OH bucks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would honestly say take him. Espescially it being your first year here and the biggest one yet. Heck just plan on getting one similar size. You might pop a monster you never know. Since you're going to be bow hunting remember you can be patient just worry about when gun season comes in.Even then from what **** said it isn't a big deal. I believe him but would still be skittish but then that's me. I got them big bad trust issues..

Also any deer you get and can eat is a good deer. The bigger deer come with time. I keep pushing this gd thread towards gun season since my experiences in public hunting land were so nuts. I am really sorry I keep doing that.

Take him or don't just have fun..

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
So what about this guy? He's a younger stud with a solid rack and awesome genetics.(won't let me put a pic on from my iPad but he's a tall 120-130 inch 8 pt, or there abouts in measurement and probably no more than a 3 yr old) I would love to let him walk if he came under my stand, just to see him next year, but there are other factors.
I would hate to pass him up and then have another hunter take him, or even worse, put a bad shot on him.
I'm a fairly new and younger hunter and he would be my biggest yet. especially doing my own scouting without my dads help.
Being that I'm only a bow hunter, he is a solid deer for a bow and on public land for that matter.
And lastly, this is my first season in OH and I'm thinking he would be a great start to many years of hunting OH bucks.
Think about the positives that could come out of lettin him walk.

You let him go another year....
You let him walk this year and a monster comes by....

If we all could get over the I gotta get mine before you get yours, there'd be.....

I haven't killed a buck in 5 years. Had plenty of chances. Passed on several 140 class, a 100+ class (had dropped a side) and tons of does. One day it'll pay off, maybe not for me, but for someone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Think about the positives that could come out of lettin him walk.

You let him go another year....
You let him walk this year and a monster comes by....

If we all could get over the I gotta get mine before you get yours, there'd be.....

I haven't killed a buck in 5 years. Had plenty of chances. Passed on several 140 class, a 100+ class (had dropped a side) and tons of does. One day it'll pay off, maybe not for me, but for someone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Exactly !

Wildman18 said it's a 50-50 split on guys letting them walk. Maybe in some spots but out of all the Hunters I know I would say its 90% Brown its down and 10% are more management minded, guys that won't shoot the does if the population is low.

Even the meat hunters need to make a concious effort to manage the Doe population. Most group party gun hunters could give a hoot. If there pushin through all that terrain than its dieing. (I really think no one could argue this FACT).

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
There is no concensus out there. You will find hunters taking forkhorns and guys holding out for that 160" plus.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Exactly !

Wildman18 said it's a 50-50 split on guys letting them walk. Maybe in some spots but out of all the Hunters I know I would say its 90% Brown its down and 10% are more management minded, guys that won't shoot the does if the population is low.

Even the meat hunters need to make a concious effort to manage the Doe population. Most group party gun hunters could give a hoot. If there pushin through all that terrain than its dieing. (I really think no one could argue this FACT).
i think wildman was right on...gun hunters dont hunt in the natural environment bowhunters do...and are prone to shooting whatever is moving or running.bow hunters are seeing deer that are much more calm and coming by them day after day.it makes pattering a certain deer more possible.bowhunters are just more likely to hold out ...just the way it is.when i hunt with the muzz i'd rather go home empty than shoot a fawn or small spike or forky buck...or spiney 6point...let em grow...take a big 8 or 10 point or nice doe .if all gun hunters would just go out and take a seat.it would be much better hunting for them and everybuddy else...:biggrin:

·
22,521 Posts
i think wildman was right on...gun hunters dont hunt in the natural environment bowhunters do...and are prone to shooting whatever is moving or running.bow hunters are seeing deer that are much more calm and coming by them day after day.it makes pattering a certain deer more possible.bowhunters are just more likely to hold out ...just the way it is.when i hunt with the muzz i'd rather go home empty than shoot a fawn or small spike or forky buck...or spiney 6point...let em grow...take a big 8 or 10 point or nice doe .if all gun hunters would just go out and take a seat.it would be much better hunting for them and everybuddy else...:biggrin:
I hunt Bow- Gun- Muzzy and I hunt the same in each season- making a "generalized statement" like that would be highly incorrect- but I'm just correcting an error and......the bait is lowered…..and this fish ain't biting!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.take a big 8 or 10 point or nice doe ....:biggrin:
This is what I'm looking at taking with a bow so I feel pretty confident about it. Thanks for all of the input. Looking forward to learning much more from you guys in the years to come!

·
Registered
679 Posts
instaters as well as the locals go by the if its brown its down rule which equals to a lot of fawns,yearlings and small 6's...anythang over that is usually gone to the hiding grounds before day 1...the big boys been here 3 yrs. now and they are the survivors...:biggrin:
Any 140 class deer is a trophy in my book. It would be hard to pass those kind of deer on public land. Expecially the number of sightings you have.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts