Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any comments on any owners of either of these bows, or comments on the manufactures. I have shot a lot of bows and my choice comes down to these 2 bows in regards to what fits me, what feels right, speed and price point.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have shot both and neither is a horrible choice,butI like the assassin more
The axle 2 axle and brace height are closer to my liking..That being said I really like the hoyt rampage xt
If I was buying brand new bow at that price point,I would lean toward the latter...

Sent via Campbells soup can an string..

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The assassin is the one I would go with hands down..

PSE 2012's has an issue with creaky limb pocket's. I don't know if it is all the bow's or not. But I like my Bowtech.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The assassin is the one I would go with hands down..

PSE 2012's has an issue with creaky limb pocket's. I don't know if it is all the bow's or not. But I like my Bowtech.
And bowtechs have flaky limb issues.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Yes, they do. I have thrown a couple thousand arrows threw mine and I have not had an issue. (I am sure I will over time) pod's will compound the problem. I don't use one but I believe they fixed the flaky limb issue.

I'm not a big fan of PSE even though they are big around where I live. I mean Big! Any time a bunch of people shoot one brand you are going to see a few not so great ones while the rest are just fine..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yes, they do. I have thrown a couple thousand arrows threw mine and I have not had an issue. (I am sure I will over time) pod's will compound the problem. I don't use one but I believe they fixed the flaky limb issue.

I'm not a big fan of PSE even though they are big around where I live. I mean Big! Any time a bunch of people shoot one brand you are going to see a few not so great ones while the rest are just fine..
Odd....They are super popular just up the road from you, in my neck of the woods too....kinda interesting.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Well JB, Considering we shoot at a lot of 3-D shoots indoors and outdoors with several PSE pro-staffers and one being Bill Epeards larry Vans and Brandon Vans I would say they are very Popular on the east side of or Cincy.. They are very helpful and of course they push there bow's a little..

There pro series bows are very nice bow's. I don't want to knock them but I just like the Assassin it is a nice shooting bow for the price. I am sure if you get the Revenge You will shoot just as well with it as with the assassin.

Does your bow shop carry both. I was going to get an Elite but the nearest shop was 35 miles away..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The shop near me only has PSE's. To be honest, the only time I even pay attention to who makes what is when I am thinking about buying a new one. I am happy with my bow, so I am sure itll be a while until I think about buying one, but when I do, Elite or Quest will be my first choice to look at.

When you think about buying a bow, and ask for peoples advice, it gets hilarious. I mean, I don't know if any company is better than another, and if one company is, it is a crapshoot knowing if the bow is even going to fit you or if you will enjoy it. My advice would be to shoot as many as you possibly can, keep your eyes closed when you look at the name on the bow, go strictly by what you feel and how you shoot. It doesn't matter what my opinion is, what OMO's opinion is, or Wildman's, cause we all shoot differently and we shoot what we feel best with. It is all about you. Bowhunting is a solitary man's sport, and when you are in the woods, who gives a crap what brand you shoot, what arrows with what broadheads, and the funniest one, how fast your arrows fly.....does it kill deer? Is it performing as you would like? Comfortable? Dependable? Yes? Then buy that one.

I used to have a Mathews Q2, and people asked me all the time when I planned on buying a new one....I said whenever my arms or eyes changed, cause it fit me, didnt cost a thing after the initial purchase and flung the wood fast enough to kill anything I wanted to or intended to. I was happy with that bow. Last year, I went to a dual cam, and I'll never look back. I am happy with the bow I shoot now, and I can abslutely promise the deer ain't gonna give two sh*ts what I shoot, cause he's going down from the shot out of a bow that I'm happy with. He*l, he don't read magazines anyways.

Go with what makes you happy and comfortable. Funny how there is so much "I'm better than you and my gear is better than yours" attitude in such a solitary sport.

I am in no way referring to anyone's comments on this thread. Just a pre-emptive "don't get your panties in a bunch" statement....lol.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I like speed because of my in-ability to judge distance well. I small deer will look far when a big deer will look close. With a fast bow there is less error it may drop 3 inches but it will still hit a kill spot. that is why I have troble desiding on a 360 grain arrow or a 420 grain arrow. As of now I am shooting a 380 grain ..

That is my reasoning on speed. I may make more out of it than needed but I do know that now that I picked up 40 to 50 FPS on my new bow it has helped a ton at the 3-D range. My drop out's when I an off on my yardage still hit's the bottom of tens and at the worst 8's which are still good kill shot's.

As for what make is better I agree thaty are all well built. I have had a Diamond and a Bowtech and both have been great bow's.. My daughter shoots a hoyt ruckas, My friend shoots a PSE Omen another shoot an X-force another shoot a Chaos another guy that we shot with had a hoyt. We all shoot a good round yesterday. Except for me.. LOL

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Just busting your hump on the limbs..It happens alot,but is cosmetic and gives your a reason to get the limbs custom dipped..PSE will back any new bow,thats for sure(my loyalty lies with neither)
I like speed because of my in-ability to judge distance well. I small deer will look far when a big deer will look close. With a fast bow there is less error it may drop 3 inches but it will still hit a kill spot. that is why I have troble desiding on a 360 grain arrow or a 420 grain arrow. As of now I am shooting a 380 grain ..

That is my reasoning on speed. I may make more out of it than needed but I do know that now that I picked up 40 to 50 FPS on my new bow it has helped a ton at the 3-D range. My drop out's when I an off on my yardage still hit's the bottom of tens and at the worst 8's which are still good kill shot's.

As for what make is better I agree thaty are all well built. I have had a Diamond and a Bowtech and both have been great bow's.. My daughter shoots a hoyt ruckas, My friend shoots a PSE Omen another shoot an X-force another shoot a Chaos another guy that we shot with had a hoyt. We all shoot a good round yesterday. Except for me.. LOL
I am far from a expert but I do like speed(controllable and accurate)...Anything over 260fps allows me to get my gaps where I want them..For 3D speed is only king at some events..Shoot a ASA events an the max speed allowed is 280fps..I like this because it levels the field..I shoot a semi light bow 57LB,light arrows(310-320) and not a high IBO rated bow(320fps) an a fixed blade broadhead..I feel this should work for me out to 40yrds or so on deer..

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I have no clue on my speed, I have not shoot any Nationals nor have I had it checked at the shop.. I get you on the ASA I have a 27 inch draw so if you put that up with the longer drawing guys they will shoot 30+FPS faster than me depending on the bow. So yes ASA does make it a little more even. A lot of their events seem to be down south..IBO as you know is just 5 grains per pound.

Mine is the D340 27"draw 64lb 382 grain arrow.. I would think that I am shooting around 300fps.

And Yes PSE backs there stuff fully..

What fixed blade are you shooting? I am still up in the air on what I am going to use.. I have not ordered shwackers yet.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Doubtful on 300 at those specs.You should fall short of that about 20 or 30fps.Which is still a great speed for hunting imo(again not a expert on hunting).If my numbers are off I apolgize,but I doubt they are..You curent set up sounds good to me for the woods.I shot 380 grain last yr, but misjudged a shot an clean missed
I was under 260 fps with that set up,hence the reason I went lighter. I picked up about 25fps an can now cover a 6in circle with holding 1 of 3 pins out to 45yrds..I have more confidence now..No right or wrong,just what I have faith in to work for me
My arrows have slick trick magnums up front

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Just busting your hump on the limbs..It happens alot,but is cosmetic and gives your a reason to get the limbs custom dipped..PSE will back any new bow,thats for sure(my loyalty lies with neither)

I am far from a expert but I do like speed(controllable and accurate)...Anything over 260fps allows me to get my gaps where I want them..For 3D speed is only king at some events..Shoot a ASA events an the max speed allowed is 280fps..I like this because it levels the field..I shoot a semi light bow 57LB,light arrows(310-320) and not a high IBO rated bow(320fps) an a fixed blade broadhead..I feel this should work for me out to 40yrds or so on deer..
All good points.

I like speed as well that is controllable and on target. I can't pull a heavy poundage bow and I'm about limited out at between 55 to 60 lbs. My BT Invasion is plenty fast for me and very controllable. It's setup at 55 lbs with a 29" draw. The arrows are Carbon express Maximus and are at 358 hunting mass. It's been chrongraphed at 291 fps. It's been tested at two different shops and they both showed right at 291-293. All I need now is a nice deer to step out in front of me. It's the man behind the string that kills the deer not a fancy bow.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
All good points.

I like speed as well that is controllable and on target. I can't pull a heavy poundage bow and I'm about limited out at between 55 to 60 lbs. My BT Invasion is plenty fast for me and very controllable. It's setup at 55 lbs with a 29" draw. The arrows are Carbon express Maximus and are at 358 hunting mass. It's been chrongraphed at 291 fps. It's been tested at two different shops and they both showed right at 291-293. All I need now is a nice deer to step out in front of me. It's the man behind the string that kills the deer not a fancy bow.

RGJZ06
Sounds about right to me..I would have put ya in the 287 to 295fps range...A fancy bow helps if its tuned right..On that note I want to recommend who maybe the best tuner in Ohio and one of the best in the nation..Baldys archery and custom strings 7083 South Pricetown Rd., Berlin Center, Ohio 44401..If you frequent archerytalk you may be familiar with him..Simply put he is a guru a bow whisper,a man who WILL NOT stop until that bow is absolute 100% producing the best arrow flight possible...

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Sounds about right to me..I would have put ya in the 287 to 295fps range...A fancy bow helps if its tuned right..On that note I want to recommend who maybe the best tuner in Ohio and one of the best in the nation..Baldys archery and custom strings 7083 South Pricetown Rd., Berlin Center, Ohio 44401..If you frequent archerytalk you may be familiar with him..Simply put he is a guru a bow whisper,a man who WILL NOT stop until that bow is absolute 100% producing the best arrow flight possible...
I saw that shop do a bow review on You Tube. Sounds like he could be the man to see for a tune. Where is Berlin Center?

RGJZ06

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I saw that shop do a bow review on You Tube. Sounds like he could be the man to see for a tune. Where is Berlin Center?

RGJZ06
About a half hour-ish east of Akron..Last I heard its around 75$ for strings or like 125$ for strings plus Full tune..

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Doubtful on 300 at those specs.You should fall short of that about 20 or 30fps.Which is still a great speed for hunting imo(again not a expert on hunting).If my numbers are off I apolgize,but I doubt they are..You curent set up sounds good to me for the woods.I shot 380 grain last yr, but misjudged a shot an clean missed
I was under 260 fps with that set up,hence the reason I went lighter. I picked up about 25fps an can now cover a 6in circle with holding 1 of 3 pins out to 45yrds..I have more confidence now..No right or wrong,just what I have faith in to work for me
My arrows have slick trick magnums up front

I checked the speed of my bow today, I have wanted to know the speed it was for a while.. I am pulling back 63lb's with a 27inch draw. I had the arrow weighed to day and it is 392.. The speed was 294.. So not bad on the speed with the weight of the arrow. But it makes for a great hunting arrow. It's funny they call the arrow a Pro Altra Light. LOL

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks

Everyone, thanks for all of the replies. There is a tremendous amount of great information to be had here.

I have not purchased the bowtech assassin yet, but looks like I am leaning that way. Again blend of fit, function and price point for me as this will be my first compound bow, really looking forward to hunting with both the compound and ten point crossbow, tc muzzy and 12 gauge. At age 47 not sure if I want to spend. 1,500 on a compound bow just yet. I do know that I need to do this an I am looking forward to challenge of it

Also there is a chance my 15 year old may take to the bowtech and I got my pass to get an upgradenext season !!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts