Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good tips for trying to get out West for a Pronghorn hunt? Looking for a state that offers over the counter tags or one where it's easy to draw a tag. The goal would be to hunt on my own on public land if possible.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Deehntr56 would be the guy to get in touch with if ya ask me he’s knowledgeable of a lot of western states and hunting opportunity’s

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's been a few years, but I hunted Wyoming for pronghorn. Best recommendation is to get on the Wyoming Fish and Game site, https://wgfd.wyo.gov . From the information and maps you can select an area you want to hunt. Check the drawing odds from the previous year. Look for an area with higher quotas than the number of applicants and check the area map to see if it is an area you might want to go to. It's easier if you print out the drawing odds and the area map so you can refer back and forth quickly. When you find an area that has higher quotas, but lower applicants, it's a higher probability that you can draw a tag. The odds do change some from year to year though.
We hunted private land and paid a trespass fee, but there is a lot of public land in Wyoming. The wyoming game and fish website can pretty much lead you through the process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't go wrong with Wyoming antelope. Loaded with them. In my opinion it's the best starter hunt for anyone who has never hunted the west. Usually high success rates, great weather, mild terrain, and above all....one of the most economical hunts you can go on out west. Besides that they're cool looking animals and taste great(some may debate that last part but I've never had any that was bad-like anything, getting it cooled quickly always helps).

Having said that, there are some things to pay attention to when applying for areas to hunt...especially in Wyoming. Almost all easy draw areas have no or low amounts of public land. Antelope is also very doable as a DIY type hunt without an outfitter. Because of this, the areas with good or great amounts of public land are highest in demand.

Two ways you can go about it. One, is build up preference points to get the unit of your choice...........but this results in sitting out several or more years before you go. The second is to find private land to hunt in one of the easy draw units. Usually this requires a trespass fee but is usually somewhat reasonable compared to trespass fees for deer and especially elk. You could also go guided which would obviously cost more but still cheaper than a guided elk hunt. Information on success rates, draw odds, and public vs private land amounts can all be found on the Fish and Game web site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts