Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a life long hunter. For the last 20 years very little has changed in October and November. You could always count on when the prerut would happen and the rut every year. The last few years though this seems to have changed. Has anyone else noticed the prerut seems to be much later in October, this year doesnt seem to really have started at all, and that the rut has seemed to be shorter? Rattling seems to be a strictly November thing now and mock scrapes seem to bring the big ones in a night but arent stimulating day time movement. And for those that have noticed and tried to adapt to the change what are you doing that is working?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blame global warming. It never used to be 90 degrees in September either. Now it seems winter doesn't even really start until January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The weather is something I have considered. Idk the exact changes from year to year to know how that effects them. I know it does seem much warmer without a doubt, but other states in the south and west are warm year round and their rut times havent seemed to change to much.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Last year we had a freeze earlier, the weeds are still thick in my woods but weren't this time last year. I killed my buck on 10/27 and there were yearlings that were alone indicating that mama had chased them off to be bred. I still have doe family groups as of this morning.

It's cyclical and changes slightly from year to year. It also depends on where you are in the state. North starts a week or two earlier than south (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My area seems to be right on the norm, at least the norm for the last 4 years that I have hunted this area. Small bucks doing some light chasing. Some does still in small groups and other does alone. Usually here you won't see a shooter buck during daylight hours until late late October. This is merely based on the small parcel that is my best spot. Exact reason I haven't been there YET. I think a light switch is going to go off around Friday, about the time the temperatures drop drastically. That temp drop is about the exact time we see more big buck movement around here and I will be in the woods for sure

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My area seems to be right on the norm, at least the norm for the last 4 years that I have hunted this area. Small bucks doing some light chasing. Some does still in small groups and other does alone. Usually here you won't see a shooter buck during daylight hours until late late October. This is merely based on the small parcel that is my best spot. Exact reason I haven't been there YET. I think a light switch is going to go off around Friday, about the time the temperatures drop drastically. That temp drop is about the exact time we see more big buck movement around here and I will be in the woods for sure
Im banking on this weekend having big results to. If it goes as planned the next few weeks should be money.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have been a life long hunter. For the last 20 years very little has changed in October and November. You could always count on when the prerut would happen and the rut every year. The last few years though this seems to have changed. Has anyone else noticed the prerut seems to be much later in October, this year doesnt seem to really have started at all, and that the rut has seemed to be shorter? Rattling seems to be a strictly November thing now and mock scrapes seem to bring the big ones in a night but arent stimulating day time movement. And for those that have noticed and tried to adapt to the change what are you doing that is working?
I, have seen a lot of deer with there spots still on in late july this year. It kind of suprised me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts