Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is everyone doing with finding birds this year? Are the birds in your areas breaking up with all this crazy warm weather? Where is everyone from and let us know what your seeing?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Been hearing good gobbling for a couple weeks now here in se ohio. Im sure its because of the weather. Woods are gettin green already should be pretty thick by the time the season gets here. Dont let people tell you the birds will be bred out and done breeding by then. With the early breeding, the hens will be on the nest more by the time the season starts and the toms will be pretty lonely.

·
5,040 Posts
Just pulled my cards and most of the pics are still showing the toms grouped up, I scout a little in March, but don't get serious until the 1st of April.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi everyone I did not get a chance to go out this weekend but the previous one I was on my way out and was on my motorcycle and had a fuse blow at 530 am and was not too happy and never made it to the woods only about 6 more miles to get there. Has anyone been hearing anything out there in the last few weeks?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Saw my first turks yesterday. group of 9 at a distance then jumped on about 50 yards (Hen i believe) Havent seen much and been in the woods a few times in the last couple of weeks.

·
5,040 Posts
They are popping off pretty good, still gathering hens, and not all the gobblers are broke up. Even with all the warm weather they don't seem to be very far ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I live in town in Geneva and my neighbor texted me the other morning and said a group of 20 just crossed the road by my house. I'm thinking about setting up my blind in the Giant Eagle parking lot. :p

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I love this time of year. It's always fun to be outside in the morning doing chores and listening to the turkeys gobble. Although it is fun being out there during the season, this time of year is special. The winter flock roosts in one big group in the wood lot across the road and down the way just a bit. Unlike during the season when the flock is broken up into smaller groups and scattered around the block, right now ALL the gobblers and ALL the jakes are in one fairly small area. When they get going on the roost first thing in the morning, it is POWERFUL!

I've been starting to see smaller groups traveling together during the day. This is something new in just the last week or so. They are still gathering in the winter roost location overnight for the most part, but are starting to venture out farther than before during the day. I actually saw a group of 4 hens and 2 jakes traveling together on my farm just two days ago. These are the first turkeys I have seen on the farm since late fall. There will be more by the time the season rolls around. :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
I got to enjoy a bird lighting it up across the fence on private land on Monday morning. Started around 6:30 am and sent them off every 30 seconds like clock work. Later on I got to enjoy a couple fellows showing off, even heard a triple gobble, and that was at just before 8 am. Again on private land, but it was still alot of fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Out of town in southern Michigan. I won't get to scout until next weekend. Might take a walk in the
Michigan woods to see whats up Hope to find some morels then too!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
going out tomorrow morning...hoping the birds will be talking up a storm. has anyone had any luck with spring valley wildlife area, seen or heard anything out there?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Out in NW part of the state and saw plenty out strutting few mornings ago. Looks like flocks all broke up now up here for at least a week or two.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last week my dad saw a nice flock behind the apple bees in independence, he wanted to know what was back there and then bam! Turkeys! Just on Sunday we took a drive out to Chardon for some maple stirs and saw a few on some open land somewhere along the way. Just seeing birds gets me pumped to go hunting, this will be my first year going for the gobblers

·
Banned
955 Posts
going out tomorrow morning...hoping the birds will be talking up a storm. has anyone had any luck with spring valley wildlife area, seen or heard anything out there?
I see more hunters than turkeys at spring valley/Ceasars Creek

It's amazing how many trucks you see pulled off in that area come the youth season and during the reg season.....especially on opening week.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts