Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've been getting in all the practice I can between work and the kiddos and finally fealing more comfortable with my bow. My question is at some point should you practice with the broadheads you plan to use?:confused: I'm a newb to bow hunting and it would seem like there's a significant differance between field tips and shooting a broadhead? Thanks for any advice in advance! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i believe you should practice with the exact ones you use just be sure to put new blades in when you go hunting...number your arrows and find the 4 best shooters...practice blades are ok but get the ones youll be using dailed in with the head you will be using...every once in a while slip the used blades back in for practice,just be sure to put the good blades back in for hunting...this way you know those arrahs will be on when the time comes...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I agree with coonie.

first off tho, what head you plan to shoot?

I shoot muzzys

I will shoot one arrow at a time once I change to broadheads. I shoot it over and over maybe changing the head to a different shaft to make sure it flies the same. I save my other two muzzys for kills. Keep them sharper then hell, and ready to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
always practice with Broadheads that you will hunt with, fieldpoints won't be on my test run....jmo

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes you should shoot your broadheads.
Even if you have paper tuned your bow and are dead nuts on with FP chances are your BH will fly differently. The blades of the BH will show the slightest adjustments needed for the arrow rest and your knocking point. The FP has little resistance and drag there for will still fly straight and hit where your aiming. There is a way to fine tune your BH so they are hitting with your FP. The adjustments made are micro (very small) and can take some time to get it, but it is well worth it. Knowing that your setup is dialed in and you can shoot either FP or BH and know your going to be on is nice.
There are some setups that just cant seem to be tuned in with BH thats where the MH come in.
I found out about BH tunning on another archery forum years ago. I gave it a try and wow was I surprised to see the differnce in the flight of my BH.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yes you should shoot your broadheads.
Even if you have paper tuned your bow and are dead nuts on with FP chances are your BH will fly differently. The blades of the BH will show the slightest adjustments needed for the arrow rest and your knocking point. The FP has little resistance and drag there for will still fly straight and hit where your aiming. There is a way to fine tune your BH so they are hitting with your FP. The adjustments made are micro (very small) and can take some time to get it, but it is well worth it. Knowing that your setup is dialed in and you can shoot either FP or BH and know your going to be on is nice.
There are some setups that just cant seem to be tuned in with BH thats where the MH come in.
I found out about BH tunning on another archery forum years ago. I gave it a try and wow was I surprised to see the differnce in the flight of my BH.
I am in agreement with about all that,except for the going to mech heads if your Fixed blades dont tune.You need to find the problem...Shooter,bow tune,arrow rest tune,arrow spine of not build correctly,junk heads etc etc..Here is a post I made on the subject ,that hopefully will help someone out

post #23 in the thread below
http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53918&page=2

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am in agreement with about all that,except for the going to mech heads if your Fixed blades dont tune.You need to find the problem...Shooter,bow tune,arrow rest tune,arrow spine of not build correctly,junk heads etc etc..Here is a post I made on the subject ,that hopefully will help someone out

post #23 in the thread below
http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53918&page=2
I guess I should have explained it better. Not an expert here was just trying to give a little helpful information. I'll try harder the next time.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I don't believe OMO was trying to be an ass or trying to belittle you. It seems he takes his bow shooting very serious and knows what he's talkin about.
Do you own a bow shop or shoot competition?

Switching to mechanicals is an option, but not the best one. No reason to get defensive and if you're not, my bad for jumpin in, but I am rather intrigued by OMO's knowledge.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't believe OMO was trying to be an ass or trying to belittle you. It seems he takes his bow shooting very serious and knows what he's talkin about.
Do you own a bow shop or shoot competition?

Switching to mechanicals is an option, but not the best one. No reason to get defensive and if you're not, my bad for jumpin in, but I am rather intrigued by OMO's knowledge.

Wow....
Wasn't being defensive. Just stated I wasn't an expert and I would try harder the next time.
So I have to own a bow shop or shoot competition to take bow shooting serious? And to answer your question no I don't do either.
I never said it was the best option. I said it's what others do.
Remind me to keep to myself and just keep reading the threads.
very friendly forum here.
Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I guess I should have explained it better. Not an expert here was just trying to give a little helpful information. I'll try harder the next time.
I think you did a fine job,and made a very helpful an productive contribution to the topic..
Wow....

So I have to own a bow shop or shoot competition to take bow shooting serious? And to answer your question no I don't do either.
Have a great day.
Dont take folks the wrong way an vice versa..Sometimes it hard to convey an receive things over these interwebs..Im sure it would be easier if we was all discussing over coffee,tea or another beverage..

You are correct that many do shoot mech heads because they cant/or wont get a bow to tune...I have nothing against mech heads,but I hate to see someone shoot them,when they truly want to shoot a fixed blade...I also hate to see folks with very very light set-ups shooting some mech heads.....I do not own or work at a shop,nor am I expert...Im simply a archery nerd,who sucks at killing big deer.So I figure I better learn an be decent at something related to this sport of archery we all love...Sometimes its bad heads(cheap made/not manufactured to tight tolerances,or a misaligned component on the head or shaft(ferrule,inserts,UN-squared arrow ends).Can be a arrow spine issue(to stiff or weak,although weak tends to be the culprit more so)..And lastly it can be a bow tune issue(1 or multiple things)....

I just want to help others get what they want out of the gear they have or want to get...I dont want to be known as '' The expert".....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Wow....
Wasn't being defensive. Just stated I wasn't an expert and I would try harder the next time.
Have a great day.
The question was supposed to be to OMO. He seems to be way more into the technical issues than your average shooter.

Your still not being defensive, right?

Sorry I took your comment wrong, but it seems you've taken mine wrong also.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I think you did a fine job,and made a very helpful an productive contribution to the topic..

Dont take folks the wrong way an vice versa..Sometimes it hard to convey an receive things over these interwebs..Im sure it would be easier if we was all discussing over coffee,tea or another beverage..

You are correct that many do shoot mech heads because they cant/or wont get a bow to tune...I have nothing against mech heads,but I hate to see someone shoot them,when they truly want to shoot a fixed blade...I also hate to see folks with very very light set-ups shooting some mech heads.....I do not own or work at a shop,nor am I expert...Im simply a archery nerd,who sucks at killing big deer.So I figure I better learn an be decent at something related to this sport of archery we all love...Sometimes its bad heads(cheap made/not manufactured to tight tolerances,or a misaligned component on the head or shaft(ferrule,inserts,UN-squared arrow ends).Can be a arrow spine issue(to stiff or weak,although weak tends to be the culprit more so)..And lastly it can be a bow tune issue(1 or multiple things)....

I just want to help others get what they want out of the gear they have or want to get...I dont want to be known as '' The expert".....
Totally agree.
As far as you not killing big deer- What's the problem? Where are you hunting? (county is fine).
You and JB should come down in oct. to Shawnee and we'll see if that problem can't be remedied. I'll have to bring my compound and get some tips.

You're invited too Gonefishin.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Some long toes got stepped on here. Misunderstanding is what I read and knowledge and good advise also. I started shooting mechanicals just because of tuning issues. My swhackers came In today. No practice blades but I'm going to shoot them anyway.

·
Registered
150 Posts

I just want to help others get what they 'swant out of the gear they have or want to get...I dont want to be known as '' The expert".....
How true. Wasn't emplying you were the expert. just that I wasn't.
It's all good
As far as the big deer thing still trying that myself.

The question was supposed to be to OMO. He seems to be way more into the technical issues than your average shooter.

Your still not being defensive, right?

Sorry I took your comment wrong, but it seems you've taken mine wrong also.

it's all good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all the tips, I never meant to ruffle any feathers lol! I agree its easy to misunderstand someones comments or remarks online but if not for forums like this, guys like myself wouldn't jack! So thanks again everybody :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Totally agree.
As far as you not killing big deer- What's the problem? Where are you hunting? (county is fine).
You and JB should come down in oct. to Shawnee and we'll see if that problem can't be remedied. I'll have to bring my compound and get some tips.

You're invited too Gonefishin.

Licking,perry,muskingum border...Mostly pressured land give or take..But its close to home an I dont have to use gas :biggrin:....Heck I even have fun not killing'em.....:coco:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ride down with JB. He's supposed to have that week off.?.
I can't promise anything except you'll love to hate it or hate to love it- regardless, it's always a good time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alright I got a question for you mossy I've always shot muzzys and thought about either trying the g5 montecs or really going different and trying shwacker what's your opinion

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Alright I got a question for you mossy I've always shot muzzys and thought about either trying the g5 montecs or really going different and trying shwacker what's your opinion

Both have a good reputation for good arrow flight:).I would think a head like shwacker would need decent power an arrow weight to be most effective...

.Being you shot muzzys,have you ever thought about Slick Trick broadheads?:D..I really like the construction of them and cost,plus they seem to fly good(29$ shipped for 3 pack an 16$ for 3 pack blades)...I cant speak for harvest with them though:nono:....I also saw come Carbon Express head that have MONSTER thick blades for 20$ a 3 pack online..They look like a cheap silverflame copy(if your familiar with them)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts