Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for suggestions on what could be planted on power line right away. It was cut and sprayed two years ago and is currently nothing but fox tail and weeds. the right away is 180' x 630' and runs east and west. I am planning on putting 12' strip of switch grass on north edge along property border and across both ends. I am also gonna put a 12' strip right under power lines. the south side has a dog wood edge. I have a food plot area already set up on property. I am looking for something that is a browse for deer and does not get real tall. I'm hoping if I plant something low growing it will keep the power company from cutting it. This right away is about half of my five acre hunting parcel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
looking for suggestions on what could be planted on power line right away. It was cut and sprayed two years ago and is currently nothing but fox tail and weeds. the right away is 180' x 630' and runs east and west. I am planning on putting 12' strip of switch grass on north edge along property border and across both ends. I am also gonna put a 12' strip right under power lines. the south side has a dog wood edge. I have a food plot area already set up on property. I am looking for something that is a browse for deer and does not get real tall. I'm hoping if I plant something low growing it will keep the power company from cutting it. This right away is about half of my five acre hunting parcel.
I doubt you will be able to keep them from spraying every few years, but that might depend on how big the transmission line is. The larger power lines in my area (Meigs/Vinton) are sprayed by helicopter and look very dead underneath. You might try something like deer clover that wouldn’t be a huge loss financially if they wiped it out.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Chicory and peas

·
Registered
801 Posts
Winter rye and clover. A really great, easy to grow, attractive food plot mixture. Plant in mid September. Mow the rye the following April/may and you will be left with a Lush carpet of clover

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
When they spray ROW it's usually with a herbicide that kills briars and woody growth but not grasses .

I'd try a fall plot such as various brassicas and winter rye , then overseed it with clover .

In the spring possibly lightly frost seed again with clover .

If you do it take the time fir a soil test and plan on adding lime a fertilizer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts