Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made two trips down to the farm once on August 7 and once yesterday. Pretty much done this year with the plots. As you know, I love the grain mix that I have posted on here before. All of my fields were in clover so all I did was simply go through and make strips (6-8' wide) through the most weedy areas in the clover. Really simple and fast with a tiller.......one pass job. One thing I did different this year was add more peas to the mix. From everything I have read deer love field peas. I increased the amount I put out with the rye, oats and clover. The plots I planted on Aug 7 are up at about 1.5" tall. The clover is popping up everywhere throughout the oats and rye.

The highlight of the day yesterday was pulling back into one of the secluded fields to find a flock of 12-15 turkeys feeding in the clover. Looks like 3-4 mature hens and the rest poults. Neat site!

In addition to my plots my neighbor across the street has a set up like mine with most of his fields in clover. We did the same thing to his yesterday, simply go through and till his most weedy/bare spots and re-planted them to the rye/clover mix. Should be a great draw if we can just get some rain. I did notice the plots that sit higher were much drier than the plots that sit down in the bottoms. The bottom plots still had some moisture in the soil where the top plots were like a dust bowl when tilling.

Many of our fields look like this.....

clover rye mix clover rye mix clover rye mix

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Made two trips down to the farm once on August 7 and once yesterday. Pretty much done this year with the plots. As you know, I love the grain mix that I have posted on here before. All of my fields were in clover so all I did was simply go through and make strips (6-8' wide) through the most weedy areas in the clover. Really simple and fast with a tiller.......one pass job. One thing I did different this year was add more peas to the mix. From everything I have read deer love field peas. I increased the amount I put out with the rye, oats and clover. The plots I planted on Aug 7 are up at about 1.5" tall. The clover is popping up everywhere throughout the oats and rye.

The highlight of the day yesterday was pulling back into one of the secluded fields to find a flock of 12-15 turkeys feeding in the clover. Looks like 3-4 mature hens and the rest poults. Neat site!

In addition to my plots my neighbor across the street has a set up like mine with most of his fields in clover. We did the same thing to his yesterday, simply go through and till his most weedy/bare spots and re-planted them to the rye/clover mix. Should be a great draw if we can just get some rain. I did notice the plots that sit higher were much drier than the plots that sit down in the bottoms. The bottom plots still had some moisture in the soil where the top plots were like a dust bowl when tilling.

Many of our fields look like this.....

clover rye mix clover rye mix clover rye mix
I planted throw an grow with rye clover an brasica two weeks ago yesterday it is up but kinda spotty yet but is 1.5" tall do u think the the bearer spots will take off?? In lite of the bare spots I threw some more in the bare spots Friday morning just befor some light rains moved through I plan to go water it this week.. any advice or knowledge is appreciated

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to wait for rain too, but my place is 90 min away so I have to do it when I am in the area. At least it's suppose to be a little cooler this week from what I last read. The bottom plots, even with little rain, were still moist so I think they will take off. Even a heavy dew will help to get them started.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I planted throw an grow with rye clover an brasica two weeks ago yesterday it is up but kinda spotty yet but is 1.5" tall do u think the the bearer spots will take off?? In lite of the bare spots I threw some more in the bare spots Friday morning just befor some light rains moved through I plan to go water it this week.. any advice or knowledge is appreciated

The rye in throw in grow is rye grass.......not a huge fan of rye grass.......the rye I plant is cereal rye or winter rye. Cereal rye is much higher in protein and more favored by deer than rye grass.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The rye in throw in grow is rye grass.......not a huge fan of rye grass.......the rye I plant is cereal rye or winter rye. Cereal rye is much higher in protein and more favored by deer than rye grass.
I threw some forage oats out in my bare spots earlier this week

1 - 6 of 6 Posts