Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how much pressure Pike State Forest gets during turkey season? Have some private to hunt close by and have some friends that are gonna hunt the state land.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Banned
955 Posts
I had the opportunity to lease a couple hundred acres that adjoined a section of PSF until I found out how hard it got hit. Didn't want to deal with trespassing issues so I passed.

I would say it gets fair share of pressure just like anywhere else that is open to public.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I live right down the road from it, and the one time I ran up there to listen and see what was going on, there were vehicles at every pull off. Some were definately mushroom hunters, but there were several vehicles that had hunting emblems on them.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the opportunity to lease a couple hundred acres that adjoined a section of PSF until I found out how hard it got hit. Didn't want to deal with trespassing issues so I passed.

I would say it gets fair share of pressure just like anywhere else that is open to public.[/QU you have more problems with trespassers than anybody I know.

·
Banned
955 Posts

I would say it gets fair share of pressure just like anywhere else that is open to public.[/QU you have more problems with trespassers than anybody I know.
Aaron and I haven't had a problem with anyone trespassing during turkey season.....In fact we haven't ran into anyone in years....... Common sense tells you if you buy or lease land that adjoins state property you will eventually have trespassing issue...............now deer season...........especially those Greene County spots........seems like a few people had to call the warden on someone this year due to trespassing and/or theft.....

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohio public land sucks.[/QU I cant say I totally agree with that. I have killed a ton of nice birds on public by gettin as far from any road as I can. Mostly on WNF and Shawnee. We are heading down in the morning. I have 300 acres of private not far from there that isnew to me this year. 2 friends that are going to hunt Pike are going too. I have never hunted Pike county at all but we are gonna give it a try.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Ohio public land sucks.[/QU I cant say I totally agree with that. I have killed a ton of nice birds on public by gettin as far from any road as I can. Mostly on WNF and Shawnee. We are heading down in the morning. I have 300 acres of private not far from there that isnew to me this year. 2 friends that are going to hunt Pike are going too. I have never hunted Pike county at all but we are gonna give it a try.
You're not going after your GC birds?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heard 7 different birds on the private property and ended up seeing 3 of them in a field yesterday. Then went to Pike State Forest and heard 4 there. Not bad for a crappy weather day. Also found a spot on state forest land where some slob has dumped and spread corn all over the ground and has his path in marked with bright eye tacks in trees. I hope a wildlife officer is there waitin for him. How can somebody be proud of getting a bird this way? I removed every one of his bright eye tacks I could find.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to phone th GW. Would be a nice catch, and the GW will be up early anyway. Give him a ring on your way out in the morning!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts