Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
I ran a pay lake for a year and a half I got out of it not a money maker and to much time. A friend talked me in to it because of my back ground. The lake that I ran might of lost one fish the hole time I was there and after words for a few years.

They use to get the fish from down south but they put a band on the transport of Cats over state lines. Now they are getting them from anywhere they can. I think paylakes are a great thing but they have to lakes that can hold the fish. The lake That I ran was a 5.5 ac lake. That is what made it so nice. Some of the PL's have nothing but water in them And fish. Ours had stuff that Paylaker's didn't like. Coontail and othere aquatic plant's. The Crappy were 14+inches The lake was very healthy which is very rare for a paylake. I have been to a couple and man they are just dig holes and they just pump a few airators to make up for the H2O.

I see what your talking about sucking the fish from our water. It happens at the paylakes people stealing fish from the PL's for there own ponds.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
i havent seen or heard of any of catfishermans paradise monster fish dieing from being over crwded or just being caught. very tough fish. hard to believe it gonna stop the thousands of dollars being made every day there and the hundreds and hundreds of people haveing a blast catching themeach week

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Catching a wild caught catfish from Our Rivers putting it in a mud puddle they call a pay lake,, Would be the same Thing IMHO as Live trapping a wild 200 In. Deer Putting it in a fenced in area and charging you for a chance to shoot it think about it
idnt know where you been but they basically do this in a sense. high fence deer hunting same damn thing

Thats what he is sayin. Theres no difference between paylakes and high fence hunts. Both can be fun, but neither rewards a person with a sense of accomplishment. I personally have no desire to take part in either of the two, just me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

high fence deer are not caught in the wild, put in a fence and then hunted Catfish are If the fish are not Dying Why and you cant keep the Big ones why are they replaced thousands of pounds a year every yeay???

high fence deer are not caught in the wild, put in a fence and then hunted Catfish are If the fish are not Dying Why and you cant keep the Big ones why are they replaced thousands of pounds a year every yeay???
Right. But for all intensive purposes, the hunt is the same. High fence deer are raised on farm or they are in an extremely managed herd.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

throbak, Not every lake has the dieing fish problem that you are talking about. I kind of wonder if you have ever even been fishing at one in your life.. I see where your anger is coming from but really are you going to lump every paylake together? High fence and paylaking? The fish still have to bite the line. All a paylake does is raise your chances of catching a very big fish. The fish still have to bite the line.. I have only fish at the lake thae I ran. I have been to a few to get things. But Lake Remington had points fingers cover, it was a nice lake.. We put in 800 lb's of fish in the 3 years that I was around it. So I don't know where you are coming up with thousands of lb's?

Catfish paradise stocks 50,000 plus pounds of catfish every year. You didn't have big lost because you didn't over crowd your lake. 800lbs in 3 yrs is nothing. They stock 10k each big fish stocking. They only stock big fish in their four ponds and they have one for farm raised channel cats. Catch out pond. You can keep them farm dinks. It's always fun to catch big fish but the behind the scenes is a waste

I didn't count the channals and trout.. It was just to expenceive to stock the big ones... But we had bid ones in the that have been in in there for years.

One other thing about the fish out of Remington was the color of the fish and how well the fought. Now the lake is going to get filled in..

I don't disagree at all about the taking of fish from our rivers to these small ponds..

I didn't count the channals and trout.. It was just to expenceive to stock the big ones... But we had bid ones in the that have been in in there for years.

One other thing about the fish out of Remington was the color of the fish and how well the fought. Now the lake is going to get filled in..

I don't disagree at all about the taking of fish from our rivers to these small ponds..
Why not? Just curious.

I got offered fish by people all the time. Which they are catching a very nice fish ouf to the rivers and stream everytime they fish or almost. (which is not legal) When you get a buch of guys doing that the populations in sections of rivers hurt. The smaller the river like the little miami suffer badly. In which screws the guy that fish the rivers.. Plus If I don't eat it them I let them go. When it comes to fishing thats just how I do it. Add in to the commercal fishing which KY offers it just conpounded the problem.. Ohio only offers commercial fishing in the great lakes of erie.

I also don't agree with hand or pole noodling.. Catching them on spawn adds to much extra stress..IMO

Paylakes make me sick. Taking wild fish and putting them in a 3 acre pond is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Anyone who feels accomplished and proud of a paylake fish is ignorant in my opinion. Get out and catch them in the wild like a real fisherman.

pay lakes are not my cup of tea either obviosly but the Thing is and I think the most Important a lot of pay lakers dont have a clue as to where the fish come from some do and dont care some would care as to how the fish are treated. I think if limits were put on the cf,s in Ky. and In. the paylakers would sill have fish,, maybe not quite so many but still fish,,, Myself I would just as soon do as Ohio Did and put Blues AND add Flatheads to the endangered species list untill scientific based research could be done and then make a deciesion on their status and what limits need to be put in place for WILD FISH this unrestricted harvest for Paylakes MUST STOP PERIOD

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Paylakes make me sick. Taking wild fish and putting them in a 3 acre pond is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Anyone who feels accomplished and proud of a paylake fish is ignorant in my opinion. Get out and catch them in the wild like a real fisherman.
i feel as if this comment was directed to me i feel very pround to have caught that 47lbr because i have friends that have gone there for many years and never been that heavy in lbs. and im cleary i real fisherman it aint like the fish at a paylake bite much more different than a lake. here pics to prove im a (real fisherman) as you say. whats you definition of a (real fisherman) ?

so before you assume a person is ignorant and not a (real fisherman) maybe you should go and see what you can catch at a lake like that before you open your mouth cuz it aint as easy as you think bill dance

Nice pictures CE!! How did you get them to jump on your hook ... You know, being ignorant and all?? Lol :D
You should have added a couple of these:cheeky-smiley-022::cheeky-smiley-022: at the end of your post.

It's easy when u become a regular. When u learn where the trenches are and what depth to fish. Find the right bait that night and you will catch the fish. When u find that they are there. Not like they can travel anywhere else. Saying that I'm not knocking you at all. I would never question you as a fisherman. I too love pay lakes but choose not to go anymore.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.