Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
And I find it interesting how everyone has knowledge of all this cheating and poaching. Telecheck fraud etc. any of you guys report these people you have first hand knowledge of?
Not sure who claims firsthand knowledge. I for one did not. I do know human nature... make it easy to cheat and people will cheat. Hunters are no different than the rest of humanity. Also even if reported big deal. One guy gets busted the problem still exists. The resource is not being managed well on public lands. Just one mans opinion. Now if I get bashed for sharing a view others don't share I may just remain quiet next time. Kind of how the woke society has shut down conservative speech. This site is no different that the rest of society. It's just easier to keep your opinion to yourself at times. Sadly that results in what we have today. Both on this site and in the country. There are signs this is changing in America. Perhaps it can change on this site as well. I challenge all the lurkers out there to sign up and or post your thoughts even though you may be labeled as an anti hunter or killer or whatever. Fun to have a debate at times so long as the folks involved don't get too worked up about it. We should all be able to disagree and still enjoy the site and the outdoor lifestyle.

I would have to agree with that MIKE . I have seen mods shout down topics before the even get started . And the reason is because that topic turns into heated BS . WHY , because people cant respect others opinions because it is different than their opinion . Yes many have been beaten to death . But it has stopped people from posting . If this site got moved to facebook I would be out . I don't want anything to do with facebook .

It’s a valid question to ask, not downplaying anyones “opinions”. But I read constantly on here that one of the main problems is the check system and the “rampant fraud” associated with it. So, I ask. Is anyone who’s aware of specific cases of this reporting it? I personally don’t know anyone gaming the system but I have read for years how it’s happening everywhere. Legit question.

Also, going back to my main original point about the anti killing crowd and why it makes me so insane. A small group in WI recently was able to get a survey question posted to their DNR site asking if there needs to be more regulations on crossbows because the crossbow kill is so high. It basically pitted rifle hunters against crossbow hunters. This is the same type of stuff I’ve seen here many many times. See how easily a small group can impact the rest of us? It can happen here.

Not sure how anti-telecheck is anti- hunting or anti-killing??

I agree is some of the comments about people not being able to have a debate without it melting down into a name calling b**fest. And the same guys can only debate corn piles and deer drives so many times.....

Reactions: jethro
I have seen new members bring up topics and the very first reply to them has been ( This topic has been gone over many times here so if you would just do a history search on the topic you will find your answers ) Well hell why don't they just read a book before they try to make friends on a site . Dang I thought that is what these places were for . Guess I was wrong . And I'm pretty sure it didn't make that person feel real welcome . Bet they just went to facebook after that .

Maybe people don't want to call law breakers in because snitches get stitches . I can say first hand that I have had people tell me how they cheated the new check system and the old . And NO I never called any of them in . And if anyone want's to say - well you are part of the problem , then so be it . I was brought up to not be a snitch . My guess is there are many more on here that are the same way . They just don't want to admit it . And get called out for being part of the problem . I have know idea how much more cheating goes on with the new check system than with the old . But I do know it sure made cheating the system much easier . But hay with all the money they are saving with the new system they can put more people out in the field to catch the cheaters right .

I never do that because I can’t use the search feature very well myself :D:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: bluedog and jethro
Not sure how anti-telecheck is anti- hunting or anti-killing??

I agree is some of the comments about people not being able to have a debate without it melting down into a name calling b**fest. And the same guys can only debate corn piles and deer drives so many times.....
The anti killing guys use the telecheck as an excuse to impart more restrictions. See what I’m saying? Well more deer are actually being killed than reported so we gotta kill less. Seen it many many many many many times

I know our county wildlife officer personally so when I’ve known of violations I’ve told him. I have no problem calling out poachers and cheaters because they are cheating us all. But I leave everyone to make their own choices on that.
Back when I started here there was mostly folks telling hunting stories and organizing deer camps and such. Lots of good natured ribbing that wasn’t based in “yuh need to hunt my way or no way.” Somewhere everyone decided the only way to save their own deer hunting is to limit someone else’s. Even if someone else is across the state on private land and they hunt public. I don’t get involved in those topics anymore but someone asked a legit question here in the sound off so there you have it, my opinion based off my 19 years of observations.

To Toker's point of anti hunting and anti killing . If everyone's opinion on here of how one should not hunt what one should not hunt with and what one should not shoot was made into law there would be NO hunting for anyone .
All those people have their opinion but here is mine . YOU buy YOUR license and tag's . it's YOUR hunt not theirs . So hunt the way YOU want and with what you want and kill what makes You happy as long as it's all legal .

I agree with many of the points being made. I used to always make a several paragraph post about my hunts with plenty of pics to share and would have pages of comments. Now you are lucky to get a few...it's a lot of work for the minimal interaction.

This site has changed me as an individual for the better in many ways…. Opening my stubborn my way or the highway attitude thought and eyes…. Toker is absolutely right as to the way things used to be and the way they have changed … catchdog and I have had some great conversation through pm on the site a few others who have participated in this thread have all been very positive and helpful information wise … I am guilty of yapping my trap a few years back but I was only giving my opinion and well SWohiohunter he really opened my eyes on a few of my piss poor opinions of things and I’m thankful for that I really do think the lack of participation is due to not many being able to do as I once did all the time and take an opinion and totally disagree and well throw my two cents in . Everything I have read here in this thread seems spot on and I still like five six years ago want to elect catchdog for president … and for the record I look forward to each and every post you all make about the hunts and the photos you share

I agree with alot that's been posted on both sides of the arguments. There is validity in both sides and there is no arguing that . I don't post here much anymore I've moved on to another very good forum but I still check on here every day. I don't do any Facebook thats where the real trash is at If you ask me. I'm the only 31 year old I know who doesn't have any social media period besides two hunting forums and a truck forum haven't used fb in over 10 years. Anywho I'm rambling . Ive been one of those slammers on here slamming an individual I'm sure you can remember who and I haven't posted since but I'll stick to my guns on that experience. But yes we need to be open to hear everyones opinions and thoughts without getting argumentive or putting anyone down. One person can't lead a team to succeed in anything, it takes many with different views and the maturity to understand both sides and either compromise or respect each other's divided thoughts . It's hard to understand how someone truly is speaking through letters on a forum. Their words may irritate you when in reality if you would've heard it straight from their mouth it could've been meant a completely different way. I've been guilty of it hell let's be honest we all have in one way shape or form that's being human . We all need to respect others opinions , be alittle more open minded to others thoughts and ideas and most importantly try to guide new sportsman alike . Remember the younger ones have way different views than we do whether they're clueless or learned the wrong ways of morals already we have to remember one thing . They are the future and we all need to learn to get along and push forward with one thing in common , the enjoyment of the outdoors . Also just giving my .02 but more topics other than just hunting where members can come together to relate on every day life things would really help the site as well in my opinion. Let's have our fishing and turkey and deer threads etc going but also other things to gain comradery. Mowers, vehicles , sports , member gatherings you get the idea. Im willing to hang around and at least try . I've met some good people on here and appreciate all your inputs on several matters. I will try to do better on my end . Let's stick to the common goal , have a good day my brothers and sisters 👍

Discussion starter · #35 ·
What changes to the Ohio Sportsman web site might help with the issues of negativity and growth?

IMO, this site's audience, including me, is simply a reflection of the society from which it comes. I've not been a forum moderator, nor do I want to be, but enforcement of the rules is the key to success.

If the audience reads and understands the rules and wants to participate in accordance with them, and if the moderators enforce the rules, both the audience and the forum may benefit.

What changes to the Ohio Sportsman web site might help with the issues of negativity and growth?
If the Michigan h&f message board is under the same ownership and participation particulars....are they experiencing much the same issues or, why any difference?
A wider focus of interests perhaps?
Less dislike of visitors to the state?
A pony with more saddles than one?
Experience there indicates it is not DNR angst related...that is the same everywhere.

If the Michigan h&f message board is under the same ownership and participation particulars....are they experiencing much the same issues or, why any difference?
A wider focus of interests perhaps?
Less dislike of visitors to the state?
A pony with more saddles than one?
Experience there indicates it is not DNR angst related...that is the same everywhere.
They don't seem to be.
Michigan has 4 great lakes ( 5 if you count St. Clair) An actual ice fishing "season" and a guaranteed snow fall! Not to mention they still have Grouse!! A lot for an outdoors men to talk about!! Hard to compare Ohio to the state up north.

I have seen new members bring up topics and the very first reply to them has been ( This topic has been gone over many times here so if you would just do a history search on the topic you will find your answers ) Well hell why don't they just read a book before they try to make friends on a site . Dang I thought that is what these places were for . Guess I was wrong . And I'm pretty sure it didn't make that person feel real welcome . Bet they just went to facebook after that .
Bit of a pet peeve of mine on every forum, be it forums like this one or on Facebook. Its a great way to drive away new members. New members, especially younger ones, generally dont know how to ask the right questions of the search or they'd just of asked Google. Pointing people to older posts that had really in-depth information and discussion is good, just dont yell use the search function all the time. This yell is more frequent on Facebook for some reason, which tend to be the ones kicked off the forums.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.