Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been back here for a year after having been gone for 10. There is hardly a discussion among more than a few contributors. Are we obsolete?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Wish I knew the answer. I enjoyed this site for years but it has gotten so slow it's hard to understand why. I know other sites have faced the same thing but not necessarily to the same degree. Many seem to blame Facebook. I know the loss of many of the long time members over the past couple of years seemed to speed the decline. Wishing we had guys like **** skinner back. Might be more of a generational thing I just don't know. Wish we could do something to turn it around. I have learned a bunch and met some good folks on here over the years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I knew the answer. I enjoyed this site for years but it has gotten so slow it's hard to understand why. I know other sites have faced the same thing but not necessarily to the same degree. Many seem to blame Facebook. I know the loss of many of the long time members over the past couple of years seemed to speed the decline. Wishing we had guys like **** skinner back. Might be more of a generational thing I just don't know. Wish we could do something to turn it around. I have learned a bunch and met some good folks on here over the years.
It does seem to be unique in this way. I have a few related to the outdoors and they grow just fine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I was on another site that the posts were driven by arguments, pics of partially clothed women, picking fights just to pick them, etc. The mods clamped down. Most advertisers don't want to be associated with that stuff. Without the infighting posts went down and down and down. Were they posts of substance, nope, just crap of seeing who could be the bigger jerk with some good posts mixed in. I don't believe this page suffered from that but I wasn't here yet. Now that site pretty much only has action when the controlled hunts are put out and people want to trade them.

Are message boards a thing of the past? IDK. If you watch coming up around archery season it will pick back up.

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
Low recruitment, just like in real world hunting. Also, there are many lurkers, but only a few who post. Best I can offer is the invite new people. Post about your hunts or outdoor experiences and share photos. It can't always be the same few members.....

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I know I don't post as much as I used to. I'm not sure exactly why. I often fall into the trap of "liking" a post rather than commenting on it. Commenting is what drives the conversation, not clicking on "like". I really like this site so I need to personally do better to engage more.

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
I know I don't post as much as I used to. I'm not sure exactly why. I often fall into the trap of "liking" a post rather than commenting on it. Commenting is what drives the conversation, not clicking on "like". I really like this site so I need to personally do better to engage more.
Agree completely. I had a few surgeries and just didn't hunt as much the last few years. No more youth hunts either.:( just didn't feel like I had much to share.

Reactions: Maggie and jethro

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have the admins and mods thought about putting this group on Facebook?

Reactions: Maggie

·
Registered
937 Posts
ANNNNND, I liked your comment. 😂 I figured I better post too.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
I’ve been here for almost 19 years and I’ve said it many times. This is the most anti hunting hunting site that I’m on. It’s constantly nothing but “lower limits, ban this weapon, ban cell cameras, ban deer drives, shorten every season.” It’s tiresome and idiotic. I remember the good old days.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I’ve been here for almost 19 years and I’ve said it many times. This is the most anti hunting hunting site that I’m on. It’s constantly nothing but “lower limits, ban this weapon, ban cell cameras, ban deer drives, shorten every season.” It’s tiresome and idiotic. I remember the good old days.
Truth

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There ARE posts like that. And I see a lack of moderation on some of these, and a lack of moderation on many other posts. But there is probably more to it. Less of us. More fisherman and foragers in the younger gen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Call it game management. We aren’t in the 1800s any more. Some hunters will self regulate when they see a decline in population of a particular game animal, whereas others would shoot until the population was exhausted. Passenger pigeons?

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
It’s very little game management and more do things my way mentality. A few years back everyone was on here touting how we had to shorten archery season, end deer drives and all sorts of nonsense or the deer would all just vanish. What actually happened? A season of two of antlerless adjustments on public ground. Now 18 counties had their bag limits increased this season.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
118 Posts
To me, anti-hunting essentially means ending hunting completely. When someone is advocating that we eliminate the fall turkey season because of the widespread decline in turkeys, I don’t see that being anti-hunting.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It’s very little game management and more do things my way mentality. A few years back everyone was on here touting how we had to shorten archery season, end deer drives and all sorts of nonsense or the deer would all just vanish. What actually happened? A season of two of antlerless adjustments on public ground. Now 18 counties had their bag limits increased this season.
The public land deer herds where I hunt did not rebound from the two years of antlerless adjustments. All it did was push people into reporting public land deer as taken on private land. Gun season on the public lands has been affected by the lack of deer only. Guys stay home rather than hunt and see nothing. I do not buy the anti hunting slant you profess to be a problem on this site. The problem I saw over the years was guys unable to hold opinions that differed from others without taking it personal. A microcosm of our society I think. Everyone goes to their corner and their tribe and all the others are seen as the enemy.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Maybe I should have said the most anti killing hunting site. That’s more fitting sorry I misspoke.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
And I find it interesting how everyone has knowledge of all this cheating and poaching. Telecheck fraud etc. any of you guys report these people you have first hand knowledge of?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts