Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is how crazy turkey hunting is. My buddy and his two nephews hunted public land in Coshocton ( mowhawk dam) on Saturday. They killed 3 birds, a single and a double. That attributed to almost 5 percent of Coshocton's 2 day totals. They had the whole place to themselves. The biggest factor in turkey hunting is luck and when you think you know everything you realize you don't. That's what makes it so addictive!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Harvest numbers are what they are and I’ll be interested to see how we end the year, but the real takeaway for me is how few turkey tags have been sold! I know that number will go up some through the season but holy cow! Only 38,971 tags purchased. At our peak in the early 2000s, 90,000 tags sold. And people complain of hunting pressure today!!! I will say the hunting pressure during the peak years didnt feel any different than current pressure

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
Harvest numbers are what they are and I’ll be interested to see how we end the year, but the real takeaway for me is how few turkey tags have been sold! I know that number will go up some through the season but holy cow! Only 38,971 tags purchased. At our peak in the early 2000s, 90,000 tags sold. And people complain of hunting pressure today!!! I will say the hunting pressure during the peak years didnt feel any different than current pressure
Maybe not a huge factor, but something to consider, over the last 20 years purchasing recreational land has EXPLODED. Many hunters don't need to buy tags any more. Ohio has absolutely no way of telling how many people actually hunt because land owners don't need tags.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts