Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

OPEN HOUSE tomorrow!

4K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  cambridgezowie 
#1 ·
I'll be at the Xenia one. Probably sporting my blaze orange hat again, don't be shy.

Open Houses are open and public participation is encouraged. Anyone interested in providing input and participating in Ohio’s professional wildlife management process is welcome. Fish and wildlife biologists along with law enforcement officers will be on hand to answer questions and receive comments.

Open houses will be held from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm on the following dates:

Saturday, March 7, 2015

At five locations throughout the state:

Central Ohio:
Wildlife District One Office
1500 Dublin Road, Columbus

Northwest Ohio:
Wildlife District Two Office
952 Lima Ave, Findlay

Northeast Ohio:
Wildlife District Three Office
912 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron

Southeast Ohio:
Wildlife District Four Office
360 E State St., Athens

Southwest Ohio:
Greene County Fish and Game Association Clubhouse
1538 Union Road, Xenia

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
Was at the open house in Akron. Fairly large crowd, I stayed til one and would guess there were at least 100 people through by that time. They had a map of the new deer management units posted along with the county by county kill stats. Also as I was leaving I got to meet Mrs. Bluedog!

#7 ·
Great to meet you in person Mr. Bawana! I think there was a conspiracy down there. I chatted with you and from there I ran into a couple I know from up by me that I haven't seen in quite some time. So we chatted. I left them and went on to start writing up my comments and was approached by our past county wildlife officer who knows me so we chatted. Then he introduced me to the private lands biologist because I had some questions about doing things on my farm and we chatted. Then I hurriedly scribbled down a few comments and ended up doing more chatting. Way more chatting than commenting. LOL!!! I left around 2:30pm and about that time the building was really starting to empty out and the parking lot was more empty than full. I stopped at the front desk on my way out and the guy at the front desk thought around 100 people had been through so far that day.

#9 ·
Poor turn out in Columbus. Filled out 5 suggestion forms and after that talked upland grasses for birds for a while then some bird watcher heard me talking to the USDA guy about wild pigs in Vinton Co and the bird watcher was having a hard time figuring out what we were talking about trapping method wise and we had to explain things like he was my 7 year old niece

#10 ·
Poor turn out in Columbus. Filled out 5 suggestion forms and after that talked upland grasses for birds for a while then some bird watcher heard me talking to the USDA guy about wild pigs in Vinton Co and the bird watcher was having a hard time figuring out what we were talking about trapping method wise and we had to explain things like he was my 7 year old niece
what did they say about the pheasant and pigs?

#11 ·
If you took the pheasant release survey they asked you about buying a pheasant stamp that would be required to hunt the release sights. They think it would cut down on the crowd and they will use the money to release more birds. Then a few of us talked about it would be nice if the state of Ohio would follow MN and require 50 or 60 ft buffer strips along all waterways= lots of habitat and less soil erosion.
Pig wise I knew the USDA had been trapping a lot of pigs. Recently caught 30 in one night just a few hills over from my place. I talked to them about setting up shop and getting rid of my pigs.

#12 ·
If you took the pheasant release survey they asked you about buying a pheasant stamp that would be required to hunt the release sights. They think it would cut down on the crowd and they will use the money to release more birds. Then a few of us talked about it would be nice if the state of Ohio would follow MN and require 50 or 60 ft buffer strips along all waterways= lots of habitat and less soil erosion.
Pig wise I knew the USDA had been trapping a lot of pigs. Recently caught 30 in one night just a few hills over from my place. I talked to them about setting up shop and getting rid of my pigs.
yeah I took the survey, are they going to implement the tag for pheasant? I agree 110% with the tag, it will get rid of the lets go to Wal-Mart that morning get a license and shoot in all directions guys, lol. if the usda is getting involved then the hogs must be kinda thick? how did odnr react to the habitat thing? blow you off, say they are working on it?

#13 ·
Does anyone know where the link for online submitting is at? I can't seem to find it. I know they have a form to fill out for those who couldn't make the meeting, I just can't seem to be able to locate it on the website. Thanks!

#15 ·
yeah I took the survey, are they going to implement the tag for pheasant? I agree 110% with the tag, it will get rid of the lets go to Wal-Mart that morning get a license and shoot in all directions guys, lol. if the usda is getting involved then the hogs must be kinda thick? how did odnr react to the habitat thing? blow you off, say they are working on it?
I want to hear more about what they said on habitat as well. The buffer strips should be installed along drainage, waterways, roads and fence lines, etc... I wish that would be the rule.

#16 ·
It was myself and a supervisor talking mainly about habitat. He was all for it and would love to see the state of Ohio pass a buffer strip law like MN is currently. What is being proposed in MN is 50 ft along all streams, natural and man made.
I was asking them to require a $2 or 3$ state habitat stamp that would be required to hunt state land. And the money would be used on quality habitat. The current six year system where they rent it out for two years and then let it sit idle for 6 years before repeating is junk. The supervisor agreed the switch grass and warm season grasses are best but expensive to plant and maintain.

#17 ·
It was myself and a supervisor talking mainly about habitat. He was all for it and would love to see the state of Ohio pass a buffer strip law like MN is currently. What is being proposed in MN is 50 ft along all streams, natural and man made.
I was asking them to require a $2 or 3$ state habitat stamp that would be required to hunt state land. And the money would be used on quality habitat. The current six year system where they rent it out for two years and then let it sit idle for 6 years before repeating is junk. The supervisor agreed the switch grass and warm season grasses are best but expensive to plant and maintain.
Farmers in Ohio would flip the &$@! out on a law like that. I was just talking to my wife about this though. She asked me why I didn't rabbit hunt anymore and I showed her how the habitat was gone for them and I don't think enough are around anymore to hunt them. Farmers are taking out fence rows and creek lines all over the place. The farmers in my area mow EVERYTHING! Water run offs, ditches, tractor lanes, everything gets mowed or sprayed. Good luck trying to change any of that in this state.

I agree with it being a really good idea, I just don't think it realistic. I don't think they'd give up 10'!

#18 ·
I agree with it being a really good idea, I just don't think it realistic. I don't think they'd give up 10'!
More might be on board than you would think if it is explained well by the egg heads. Buffer stips will do more than just increase hunting. It will also help with some of the water issues Erie, St. Mary's, and Buckeye Lake are having. I had a very good conversation with some farmers in the NW part of the state and they were open to the ideas. I think something serious will be done to reduce P loading in the next 5 years and this is one likely measure.

#19 ·
it will get rid of the lets go to Wal-Mart that morning get a license
I may or may not have been in a similar situation this year... :biggrin:

But I do agree that something needs to be done and this is a good start.

#20 ·
I may or may not have been in a similar situation this year... :biggrin:

But I do agree that something needs to be done and this is a good start.
i have too but theres the guys that their buddy call them and says pheasant opener tomorrow, he runs out gets a license and blast at every bird he sees 10yrd or 300yrds. I see a lot of knuckle heads out the release days and that's the only time they come out. make them pay and they wont come out. I pheasant hunt almost every chance I get if I get bored with bow hunting or my public land spots been over run I head out and push some fields and like it when its just me or other guys that care about it as much as I do. reading some of your past pheasant post I see you the same as me, you care about the sport. :D

#22 ·
More might be on board than you would think if it is explained well by the egg heads. Buffer stips will do more than just increase hunting. It will also help with some of the water issues Erie, St. Mary's, and Buckeye Lake are having. I had a very good conversation with some farmers in the NW part of the state and they were open to the ideas. I think something serious will be done to reduce P loading in the next 5 years and this is one likely measure.
I like the angle of approach you have. Sounds more like habitat would be the icing on the cake. Something does need to be done about that algae bloom, and I didn't tie the two together. I like it, I like it A LOT!

I just typed about 200 words and erased it all to keep from hi-jacking. You should make this it's own thread….:thumbs_up:

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes...get away from thinking like, expressing desires and pushing for changes based upon a hunting viewpoint from a hunter's stump.
The appeal of doing the right thing needs to be from a perspective both wide and deep....and hopefully, involves fiscal and future components feeding influence for the general public and the kicked at farmers.

I would disagree with the "eggheads" approach....that can turn off folks just like a hunter.
The many benefits resulting from diverse and managed habitats needs to be promoted by the average-shaped heads that interact with the public....hunting and not...at every opportunity.

As to MN....I doubt many MN farmers feel differently toward supporting their families as those in Ohio.
MN tho, for pheasants, is a very, very different place than Ohio....be tough to make much of a comparison twixt the two.

Ohio can improve all aspects of their released pheasant program......but, habitat on the release areas may not be the best first focus.
In some ways, habitat is far too easy an answer and often makes people feel they have done something as soon as it is mentioned.
While some comments can shut ears....habitat chimed as IT can shut minds to thinking farther.

#24 ·
I like the angle of approach you have. Sounds more like habitat would be the icing on the cake. Something does need to be done about that algae bloom, and I didn't tie the two together. I like it, I like it A LOT!

I just typed about 200 words and erased it all to keep from hi-jacking. You should make this it's own thread….:thumbs_up:
Will do. Finally something I am actually qualified to speak about!

#26 ·
I like this buffer strip program idea .

having grown up hunting in good fence row habitat that was full of quail, pheasants, rabbits, even if it was 10ft. along field edges, it would make a difference but it would take years of restocking the quail and pheasants to bring them back to that habitat, the rabbits not so long on there own.

It should be wider , 50 ft. along watercourses which i'd say would go along way towards filtering out farm chemicals.

i've pretty much already seen what doing these things will do on a couple places i trap and hunt on. they started leaving those whole areas and buffer zones along those areas go because of usually being to wet to get planted or harvested plus plant/crop loss if they got it planted from flooding. easier , most cost effective to just let it go or leave a buffer zone out to where it was dry ground.

those places , i see and hear pheasants regular , nothing like pre 1977 but far more than in most other places. one place , there are a few quail . on all of them , I see more rabbits than most other places I go.

I'D be in favor of a upland game habitat stamp or something like that , but it would have to cost more than a few bucks to make a difference. There should be some way to get some P/R fund act money , which there millions out there not getting used to do something like this.
Pay a private landowner X amount of dollars to leave that buffer zone forever.

As far as watersheds , it should be a law that you can't clear cut a stream bank . Surprized the EPA has allowed it this long just because of Erosion alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.