Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much of my deer hunting takes place on about 100 acres of private property. This summer they drilled an oil well about the center of the property and now they're planning to start another one somewhere between there and the front boundry. The front half of the property has more cover than the back half which is mostly crop fields. I'm sure the deer patterns are going to change but was wondering what other effects the wells might have on the hunting. Unfortunately it sounds like the second well may be started about a month from now.

Any thoughts on what changes I might expect? What's your experience in hunting around new wells? Existing ones?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It mite deter them for awhile but after they get use to them u will see it doesn't affect them
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I have watched deer eat grass around the wells while the well was running. Like turkeybuster said, it may deter them for a little while but once they figure out it poses no threat they could care less
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'd be looking for a new hunting spot!
That's too much activity/noise and bad timing..
agreed for this year or atleast till late season, but I would not give that spot up! You basically just got a free food plot put in, next year just go in and through down some winter rye, clover, and stuff like that!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah not the best timing but it isn't all bad. Deer are incredibly inquisitive. It would all depend on the time the workers quit and leave. If they are gonna be working later. I would suggest setting up somewhere on the other side of the land. If they are gonna be quitting around noon or so. I would sit up pretty close to the well.

As I was deer are just curious. A buddy of mine used to grab a tarp and throw it in a field with some rocks on it. Just a regular old blue tarp that was lightly blowing a bit. Deer would walk up to it every day and check it out. Can't believe it would be all that different with the people working on the well.

As for the old well it won't matter. Just as soon as they get used to it. It will just be another feature in the area.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you're in for a tough hunting season. ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had my property logged last year, into the first few weeks of bow season. I still saw deer when I would hunt it on the weekends and there were plenty of tracks made overnight when the loggers were away. My guess is that the noise from the well may make big bucks wary at first, but I suspect you'll still see does milling around.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
The well roughnecks or roustabouts what ever they are called will be living on the premises and no doubt be tempted to some night hunting. I already had problems with the excavating crew preparing a well site, toting shotguns during turkey season.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
one of my relatives has a place right up against one of the largest motocross tracks in ohio...in fact their land is included in the track,having the toughest hill climb on the hare scrambles track...(one of my 4 wheelers was flipped on it,tumbling all the way to the bottom...)...i can ride that section of track anytime i want cept when theres races...anyway...theres thousands of riders during a weekend of races...and deer will be seen in the evenings in his greenfields...part of the track goes thru the upper end of one...a quick walk of the track the next morning finds all kinds of deer tracks in the loose dirt on the track...:eek:you never know,but if i were you i'd have a back-up and if you cant find one and your hunting is bad...the deer camp will be open for you...hopefully though things work out for you in your place...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit. Look at this way its no different than having a ten acre swamp pop up overnight(so to speak) hunt the fringes and it might prove productive because the deer will be funneled around the well site. Deer don't care about that stuff as much as some believe. Even logging operations will funnel or narrow a deers travel pattern to avoid the action but they don't just move out of a 100 acre woods because of noise or activity. Like 419Bear said deer are real inquisitive and very adaptable especially since they witnessed the first well being drilled.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit. Look at this way its no different than having a ten acre swamp pop up overnight(so to speak) hunt the fringes and it might prove productive because the deer will be funneled around the well site. Deer don't care about that stuff as much as some believe. Even logging operations will funnel or narrow a deers travel pattern to avoid the action but they don't just move out of a 100 acre woods because of noise or activity. Like 419Bear said deer are real inquisitive and very adaptable especially since they witnessed the first well being drilled.
Excellent point. I think it would help target travel routes, because it could add a funnel effect during daytime movement.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the well thought out responses. They have helped as I've pictured the property and tried piecing things together.

When the first well was drilled some of the workers did pitch tents and live on site. One guy's wife and child came along and hiked the property each day. Fortunately the next well will be fairly close to the property owner's house and she watches the process closely. She's willing to tell them they have to restrict themselves to the well site and not venture to other parts of the farm.

The first well definitely made some good border opportunities. One side in particular should channel deer through a brushy ravine or else force them to walk through the well opening or an open field. I started hunting this place about 10 years ago and it took two or three to learn it well. I'll have to learn their patterns all over again.

I had actually given some thought to the food plot idea. The oil company says they will seed it with a grass/clover mix but I'm inclined to spread some of the commerical mix anyway. What I plant might get ruined when they do their "reclaiming" but I'd be willing to bet some of it grows too. I've never planted the commercial stuff. Is to too late to get anything in that would help for this season?

One thing I have going for me is the lay of the land. The old man who farmed it for many years (my wife's grandfather) kept it sectioned so he could rotate crops and stock. The result is a lot of brushy fencerows. It also has 4 streams breaking it up, a brushy swamp in one corner and a nasty thick ravine near a shallow pond. With about half the farm in crops (corn this year) a lot of the deer tend to live elsewhere and come here to feed, using the fence rows and ditches as cover as they move in and out. Most of the deer seem to stay elsewhere and come here to eat. I don't see them abandoning the corn but do fear they may become more noctornal. Dawn and dusk may be the only opportunities during most of the bow season. When the shotguns start blasting in gun season all bets are off.

I don't think putting does in the freezer will be a problem. I'm more concerned with quality buck opportunities. (I hunt both does and bucks). Of course during the rut I have to believe the bucks will go where the does go, and that's probably going to in and out of the corn, following the ditches for cover. Likely they will bed down in the swamp and brushy ravines that are farther away from the drilling. Seem reasonable?

Basically I'm just thinking out loud (actually on the keyboard) and, with your help, putting a plan together. Thanks for any and all input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts