Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
oh boy...700,000...if that becomes the official number when the official news release comes out in a few months I can only laugh. The herd has to be down from last years prediction. if they predict 700,000..get ready for more crop damage permits and an even longer extension on the liberal bag limits. gotta luv the insurance companies

·
Registered
89 Posts
A person in italian village (columbus) is just the perfect person to interview for this story, nevermind the man who sits in a tree for hours a day waiting for one of the critters to walk by. Haha

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
The best part is that there is going to be a lot of entertainment value by reading all the posts on this forum to follow. Hehehehehe! ;)

Sent from my Ally

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
If I understood him correctly, the WLO I spoke with said that the esimates they have released in the past are the "huntable" deer, not the total deer. So, actually there are probably more like 1,000,000 total deer in Ohio.:D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Wow, news stations have really ran out of real news....Love how they come up with stories like this and make it sound like the whole state is extremely mad about the over-estimated population of deer...when in reality not that many people really do care...It's like public breastfeeding...Why does that topic continue to be brought up by the media? Ridiculous.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
heh heh heh...i think the deer have become camera shy and getting very cautious of feeders where theres too much human activity...just cause you cant see em doan mean they arent there...or youre running em off or killing em off...weird we ain having that problem on the wayne...from the outside you doan see anythang but once you get in that balywick and hunt for em...you soon find out...theres deer in there...heh heh heh...:biggrin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lol you all say Its not 700 k ?so then that is it?that's the number,are you more educated in deer population science then anyone elce?lol just hunt cuse you Caint do anything about it!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow, news stations have really ran out of real news....Love how they come up with stories like this and make it sound like the whole state is extremely mad about the over-estimated population of deer...when in reality not that many people really do care...It's like public breastfeeding...Why does that topic continue to be brought up by the media? Ridiculous.
I like public breast feeding :whistle:

·
5,040 Posts
I wonder where she got the numbers, I thought DOW had quit making estimates?
Oops! Did some searching and found this:

Deer-Archery Season Opens Statewide September 24
Deer must be checked by 11:30 p.m. on the day of harvest

COLUMBUS, OH - Approximately 345,000 bowhunters, representing more than half of all Ohioans who hunt deer, are expected to participate in the statewide archery deer hunting season that opens September 24, according the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Division of Wildlife.

During last year's four-month archery season, bowhunters killed 85,012 deer, a decrease of seven percent from the previous year. Crossbow hunters took 44,123 of that number and longbow hunters took 40,889 deer. Overall, archers accounted for 35 percent of 239,475 deer taken during Ohio's combined 2010-11 archery, muzzleloader and gun seasons.

Licking County led the state in both the vertical bow and crossbow harvest. Coshocton, Tuscarawas, Ashtabula, and Holmes rounded out the top five counties in crossbow harvest, while Coshocton, Tuscarawas, Muskingum, and Knox completed the list of top five counties in vertical bow harvest.

"I expect both the pre-hunt deer population and the harvest to be near their three-year averages of 750,000 and 250,000 deer, respectively," said Mike Tonkovich, Division of Wildlife deer project leader.

So it's not 700,000 it's 750,000!!!!!!!!!

·
22,520 Posts
The best part is that there is going to be a lot of entertainment value by reading all the posts on this forum to follow. Hehehehehe! ;)

Sent from my Ally
And here they come….:biggrin::biggrin:

700K? Yea, right. And I make 700K a year, too. ;)
I like public breast feeding :whistle:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
my area might be a little higher than that...considering my county has the highest increase in DVA's in the last 10 years...but you'll have that when metroparks don't allow lottery hunts and buy up a lot of huntable land around the area

1 - 20 of 135 Posts