Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohio Wildlife Council Approves 2012-13 Hunting and Trapping Regulations
Apr 5

4/5/2012 12:00 AM

The Ohio Wildlife Council approved hunting and trapping regulations for the 2012-13 hunting seasons, during the April 4 meeting, according to the ODNR Division of Wildlife.

Deer hunters have until noon the following day to check in their deer

COLUMBUS, OH - The Ohio Wildlife Council approved hunting and trapping regulations for the 2012-13 hunting seasons, during the April 4 meeting, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

Seven west-central Ohio counties will move from deer Zone A to Zone B; those counties are Auglaize, Darke, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Preble and Shelby. Madison County, currently in Zone B, will move to Zone A.

Antlerless deer permits will no longer be valid the first week of deer-gun season in Zone C. The antlerless permits will be valid until Nov. 25 in deer Zones A, B and C. This is a return to regulations adopted in 2007.

Deer hunters will have until noon the following day to complete the automated game check process. The only exception will be on the last day of any season when automated game check must be completed by 11:30 p.m.

A hunter may take only one buck in Ohio, regardless of zone, hunting method or season. Either a $15 antlerless deer permit or $24 either-sex deer permit and a valid hunting license are required to hunt deer in Ohio.

Seasons and Dates for 2012-13:

Archery season - Sept. 29 through Feb. 3, 2013
Special area muzzleloader hunts - Oct. 15-20
Youth deer-gun season - Nov. 17-18
Statewide deer-gun season - Nov. 26 through Dec. 2 and Dec. 15-16
Statewide muzzleloader season - Jan. 5-8, 2013

Bag Limits -

Deer bag limits are zone specific by permit type. A hunter may take one deer from Zone A, two deer from Zone B and three deer from Zone C during the entire 2012-2013 season using the either-sex deer permit. Only one antlered deer may be taken regardless of zone.

Additionally, a hunter may take one antlerless deer from Zone A, two antlerless deer from Zone B and three antlerless deer from Zone C during the archery season from Sept. 29 to Nov. 25 using the antlerless deer permit.

Those hunting in urban units and at Division of Wildlife-authorized controlled hunts may use the antlerless deer permits during all deer hunting seasons. Urban units and controlled hunts will again have a six-deer bag limit, and those deer will not count against the hunter's zone bag limit.

Deer Hunting Zones -

Zone A - The zone includes six counties: Erie, Fayette, Madison, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood.

Zone B - The zone includes 44 counties: Allen, Ashland, Ashtabula, Auglaize, Butler, Champaign, Clark, Clinton, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Darke, Defiance, Fulton, Geauga, Greene, Hancock, Hardin, Henry, Huron, Lake, Logan, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning, Marion, Medina, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Paulding, Portage, Preble, Putnam, Seneca, Shelby, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Union, Van Wert, Warren, Wayne, Williams and Wyandot.

Zone C - The zone includes 38 counties: Adams, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Columbiana, Coshocton, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Gallia, Guernsey, Hamilton, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Knox, Lawrence, Licking, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pickaway, Pike, Richland, Ross, Scioto, Tuscarawas, Vinton and Washington.

Hunting seasons for rabbit, pheasant, quail, squirrel, crow and wild turkey were approved as proposed. In addition, trapping seasons for beaver, mink, muskrat, and river otter, along with the hunting and trapping seasons for fox, raccoon, skunk, and weasel, were also approved.

2012-13 Hunting and/or Trapping Seasons and Dates

Squirrel - Sept. 1 through Jan. 31, 2013
Ruffed grouse - Oct. 13 through Jan. 31, 2013
Fall Wild Turkey - Oct. 13 through Nov. 25, in specified counties
Youth Upland Season - Oct. 20-21 and Oct. 27-28
Cottontail rabbit - Nov. 2 through Feb. 28, 2013
Ring-necked Pheasant - Nov. 2 through Jan. 6, 2013
Bobwhite Quail - Nov. 2-25, in specified counties
Fox, raccoon, skunk, opossum, and weasel - Nov. 10 through Jan. 31, 2013
Mink and muskrat - Nov. 10 through Feb. 28, 2013
Mink, muskrat, raccoon, skunk, opossum and weasel (Lake Erie Marsh area) - Nov. 10 through March 15, 2013
Beaver - Dec. 26 through Feb. 28, 2013
River Otter - Dec. 26 through Feb. 28, 2013
Youth Spring Wild Turkey Season - April 20-21, 2013
Spring Wild Turkey - April 22 through May 19, 2013
Crow (Friday, Saturday and Sunday only) - June 1 through March 10, 2013, and June 7, 2013, through March 9, 2014
Coyote and woodchuck - No closed season

Rules and season dates for migratory birds including mourning dove, Canada goose, rail, moorhen, snipe, woodcock and waterfowl hunting will be set in August, in compliance with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's 2012-13 framework.

All hunting and trapping season dates and rules can be found at wildohio.com.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.com.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/home_page/Ne...2012-13-Hunting-and-Trapping-Regulations.aspx

·
5,040 Posts
Good info on both sites, tough to get many changes when there are so few voicing their opinions.....makes it hard for the DNR to use data when only a couple hundred out of several hundred thousand are there. Not that I don't think the meeting are a good idea, just not sure how much the data can be relied upon.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Good info on both sites, tough to get many changes when there are so few voicing their opinions.....makes it hard for the DNR to use data when only a couple hundred out of several hundred thousand are there. Not that I don't think the meeting are a good idea, just not sure how much the data can be relied upon.
i agree...but i really dont think the sky is falling...the odnr see's the stats each year...they know when theres too much or not enough reduction of deer... localized deer herd or on properties can be managed by those hunting there...no one is making you shoot the max. allowed...so shoot just one deer...if you think your deer numbers are low...:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've always been confused with the urban deer unit bag limits. So I hunt a lot in SE Delaware county and hunt in Coshocton county. Is this

Those hunting in urban units and at Division of Wildlife-authorized controlled hunts may use the antlerless deer permits during all deer hunting seasons. Urban units and controlled hunts will again have a six-deer bag limit, and those deer will not count against the hunter's zone bag limit.
Saying that I can kill 6 in SE DelCo and then another 4 in Coshocton county?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
This site and others tried to put the survey form on their site to give ODNR more info. ODNR said no,no, stop that. we don't want that info from you. What was that all about?

It was a hell of a lot better medium than the poorly attended open houses.:rant:

·
5,040 Posts
I think THAT particular survey, they wanted a random sample, not that there is anything wrong with our people on here or other sites, there is much more of a potential to "stuff the ballot box" and get results that wouldn't be random.

·
5,040 Posts
I've always been confused with the urban deer unit bag limits. So I hunt a lot in SE Delaware county and hunt in Coshocton county. Is this

Saying that I can kill 6 in SE DelCo and then another 4 in Coshocton county?
You can kill six in Delaware on your urban permits and another six in Coshocton county (zone c). Or six in Delaware outside your urban zones. Delaware and Coshocton are both in zone c, which allows you 6 deer total. The urban zones are not counted in your total kill numbers by zone.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can kill six in Delaware on your urban permits and another six in Coshocton county (zone c). Or six in Delaware outside your urban zones. Delaware and Coshocton are both in zone c, which allows you 6 deer total. The urban zones are not counted in your total kill numbers by zone.
Crazy. I've never taken more than 3 deer in a season, so not a big deal

(and DOH, I thought Coshocton was B, oh well, not an issue either)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I think THAT particular survey, they wanted a random sample, not that there is anything wrong with our people on here or other sites, there is much more of a potential to "stuff the ballot box" and get results that wouldn't be random.
sad to say...stuffing will happen...they need to go face to face...:D

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they can benefit from a random survey on-line sent to licensed hunters, in regards to getting their opinion on certain "agenda" items. They have the capability of allowing one response per hunter, so "loading the ballot box" with duplicate responses shouldn't be an issue. The response rate is typically not that high, so it's no different then in person, but you get a bigger sample with both.

The internet has changed the way we do things and it is the trend of the future.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
i agree...but i really dont think the sky is falling...the odnr see's the stats each year...they know when theres too much or not enough reduction of deer... localized deer herd or on properties can be managed by those hunting there...no one is making you shoot the max. allowed...so shoot just one deer...if you think your deer numbers are low...:D
I see this kind of post often. From what I have seen, most OS, members seen to know what is up on the deer herd. Most seem to care about the #'s on there property wether it is state priv, or national forest. There are many out there mostly new hunters seem to be nieve to a lot of the things that we pay attention to.. They will kill as many they want and not thing twice about herd size or anything else.. They bring a few friends in and with the addition of bait will keep killing.

My point is: To post thing's like "just shoot one deer" get's posted on here but doesn't get to the right people. Most on here know not to over harvest. Again I hunt a lot of urban land and know that there were 14 killed by a couple of guy's a few doors down. and they wounded several. I shot one and wounded one. 300 yards up the creak there were 5 (that I know of) that were wounded (4buck's) and 5 killed. These are just the guy's that I know. These other guy's care very little about the herd and think that there is an endless supply of deer.

I have watched the deer sightings plumit over the last 3 to 4 year's. I care and have voice my opinion to these guy's by they care very little.. That is where the problem is. It lie's with the ignorent....

I didn't mean to single out your post ****...

·
Registered
12 Posts
New Regs

Interesting that they have removed the ability to use the doe tags the week of gun season...must not have been having the desired effect.

Wait, I get it now, by not allowing the reduced cost doe tags during gun season, a person who wants to shoot a doe and a buck first must pony up the full amount...ahh, yet another way for the ODNR to pad the coffers. Instead of getting a doe for $15 during gun season it will cost $24, pretty slick, nice little 60% increase in the cost of pulling the trigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts