Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new to the site, from Alabama, wanting some information.

Hunted archery season last year in Ohio, and only time this year I can go is shotgun season. Are the bucks still rutting then? Plan on being there for the opener. Nov.26th

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Lots of factors there to think about...Ya might wanna check out Wayne national forest if your going public..I here there are tons of deer there

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Generally the heat of the rut is over. You might get lucky and find a straggler.

Contact Coonskinner about the Wayne National Forest if you plan on hunting public property. He puts on a big get together and the guys camp and all that. Lots of deer down there, I would imagine you would do well.

·
7,173 Posts
For the most part the rut is over but even if it isn't the hunting pressure makes the deer act differently anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I wont be hunting Public land but I appreciate all the comments. I am hunting a private farm. So pressure should be at a minimum. Had pretty good luck last year even though I didnt bring one home. Saw 5 bucks that could score over 150" and lost a giant. I just hope that they arent like Alabama deer and go into hiding forever once a gun goes off. :D

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
As the week goes on, you can pretty much count on sightings goin down. By noon on opening day most of the deer know whats going on.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you can hunt a big plot of private land that aint got no pressure, you should do really good

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are some of ya'lls methods for getting a buck during shotgun season? Bucks will still be in post rut stage though and most of the corn will be gone right? So they will need to be searching for food.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What are some of ya'lls methods for getting a buck during shotgun season? Bucks will still be in post rut stage though and most of the corn will be gone right? So they will need to be searching for food.
They will still be huntin a little bit for them last few does. So that bein said, I like to use doe bleat calls. But I only hunt low pressure private land areas during gun season

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just my experience-

Yes they are looking for food, but those first gunshots send them nocturnal pretty quickly. And keep in mind youth gun season is before the main gun season.

Best bet (particularly after day 1) is to find a real thick spot, or an escape route that leads to a thick spot. Sit there ALL day. Rely on the other guys going to and from stand, driving, etc. bumping them to you. Thick spots on south facing slopes seem to be the best; particularly if they can find a spot where they can see danger coming. Good luck!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Two years ago the evening of opening day I used scent and the grunt. I lured a 7+yr old to me on public... The rutting will be down but depending on the weather There will be a few out looking.. There was another occation while hunting gun I watched one trval a trail with his nose on the ground... So it is possible I still use doe in heat and Dom. buck while in the woods.. So be prepared

·
Banned
955 Posts
As the week goes on, you can pretty much count on sightings goin down. By noon on opening day most of the deer know whats going on.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
Yep......once those gun shots start going off they smarten up quick. You won't see much unless you have people moving around you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well now you all have me nervous thinking that the week of shotgun season I won't see a thing because of hunting pressure. i sure hope that this is not the case. I just hate to drive all that way and not see anything.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Well now you all have me nervous thinking that the week of shotgun season I won't see a thing because of hunting pressure. i sure hope that this is not the case. I just hate to drive all that way and not see anything.
Nobody wants to scare you. Ohio is a phenominal state to hunt deer in. But if you don't have experience, or at least have some scouting done, its going to be extremely hard.

I wouldn't expect to come up here and shoot a big buck. Chances are, you won't, but you may get lucky. Being that you won't have much time, get in, scout, then hunt. Proper scouting and time utilization coupled with making good decisions will determine the outcome. Contrary to most out of staters belief, there isn't a 150 class buck behind every tree....especially during shotgun season. Gun season just sucks for big deer..period.

But, you should see some does anyways. And that is a good thing too...who doesn't want to shoot a doe and have great table fare?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JB dont get me wrong. Its not scouting thats an issue. The landowner has cameras out just about all year and helps with the scouting. I just dont want to get there and it be like WW3 going on an all the deer go nocturnal.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
JB dont get me wrong. Its not scouting thats an issue. The landowner has cameras out just about all year and helps with the scouting. I just dont want to get there and it be like WW3 going on an all the deer go nocturnal.
I gotchya...so you have some help here already. It is definitely WW3 every year when the gun guys get to the woods. It is generally impossible to stand outside for more than 20 minutes without hearing a shot in the distance. I wouldn't let that discourage you though, some great deer go down during gun season.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I stopped hunting gun, opening day is unsafe in my area. Waste of time iMO. I now only hunt bow.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You can talk yourself out of anything if you try. You can't tag a deer at home watching T.V. Get in your car or truck and head to the Buckeye State. You never know what you might take home with you.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
22,520 Posts
Heck-on the way up here stop at WV and do some hunting there- with their liberal deer tags you can shoot several deer. Their gun season starts the week before ours and you can really have some fun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts