Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had made an earlier post in regard to WNF. That didn't yield much insight. So my question is: From Columbus south to the Ky line what is the best public land to hunt?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would give the Wayne or zaleski state forest a try. I have hunted Ky a lot and I think Ohio has better bow hunting especially on the big forest. If u have family in Columbus why not hunt the Wayne if you only have an hour drive. Put some time in u can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
WNF, Shawnee, Zaleski. GOOGLE THEM. They are very good to outstanding.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually live in Tennessee a little north of Nashville. I do have in laws in Columbus but I may hunt with out them. The more I ask them about hunting the more I realize they are casual hunters at best where I'm die hard. So since I don't know any landowners in oh where the big boys roam I'm fine with public land just looking for some advice

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I actually live in Tennessee a little north of Nashville. I do have in laws in Columbus but I may hunt with out them. The more I ask them about hunting the more I realize they are casual hunters at best where I'm die hard. So since I don't know any landowners in oh where the big boys roam I'm fine with public land just looking for some advice

If you're lookin for a hardcore in the sticks hunt, try salt fork. Its got tons of land. Huge rollin hills but im sure you are used to that comin from tennessee. Hike back in a few miles and youll see some big bucks. I like huntin by the backwaters of the lake, because the deer always funnel there to get em a drink. give it a shot if youre willin to drive an hour and a half longer

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
354 Posts
What about the AEP land over by Zanesville. I heard the fishing good, anyone know how the deer hunting is?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
to the kentucky line from columbus...that narrows it to the ironton district of the wnf...or better yet...shawnee state forest...if you can handle it...:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a smaller tract near Chillicothe than the others mentioned but it has pockets of large bucks and large numbers of deer. If I had to bow hunt public land in Ohio I would really give Great Seal Park a shot. I work in close proximity to the park and see the deer come out of the park into the farm fields, many good bucks. There was a very large buck killed last year or the year before by an out of state hunter that was featured in Ohio fish and game or another magazine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
where to go?

I an from Virginia looking for some public land to hunt I am pretty familiar with th nelsonville area I have hunted around buchtel for the past couple years and not been to impressed I have seen some 120 inch deer but nothing I'm looking for I only bow hunt anddon't mind to get deep they is just to much fouwheler activity where I have been in the past on the Wayne I need to escape that if at all possible I only bow hunt and I take it serious and all advice will be greatly appreciated and took to heart thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Here is one from that area with in a 15 mile circle of it.....

Here is another.. The one in the middle...

The other 2 are from the Cincy area. I seen a Monster that had been killed there a few years ago. The guy had the sheds from the year before... They are there just like they are in cincy Hilsboro Columbus and the rest of the state...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all of the advice haven't made my mind up yet but Coonskinner's camp sounds fun, is that open to out of towner? I'll bring the beer lol

Mathews Z7 Xtreme

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I appreciate all of the advice haven't made my mind up yet but Coonskinner's camp sounds fun, is that open to out of towner? I'll bring the beer lol

Mathews Z7 Xtreme
we have guys from everywhere...everybuddy is welcome... theres a bunch from tenn. that hunts not too far from us and takes some big boys each year...last year we had 2 from sc...one taking a doe and a p$yer...beers ok...:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mabye I just need to Scout around some more I was up there this past Thur scouting and got caught in a bad thunderstorm I have had trail cams up since really June and got plenty of pic a of small bucks out just seems everywhere I have tried hunting no matter how far I walk I can't get away from the fouwheler trails them are some vet nice deer tho

1 - 18 of 18 Posts