Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Mi. resident and a long time member of your sister website MS sportsman. I have done many out of state archery hunts and shot many book bucks over the year. Because our DNR doesn't have a clue how to manage a deer herd to get quality animals growing, I have to venture outside of our state. I do hunt the UP of MI. and there is nothing like it as far as scenary and seclusion.
Anyway, I did alot of research and went on your 2 day gun hunt last week. I ended up near the Pike/Adams line. I only ended up hunting the 1st morning on the farm I paid to hunt on after realizing quickly the deer were not in the area. I spent the rest scouting new area and trying to check out public ground. It was my first time paying anybody to hunt and I wasn't impressed(with the hunt the guy offered). I have always been a DIY hunter and will continue to do so. But with only 3 total days it wasn't practical.
I enjoyed my time learning and I will be back. Here are a few obs:
1st.You folks have some big brusiers roaming around those hills for sure. It was nice to have a feeling that a big boy might come by.
2nd. I seen so many huge rubs I thought maybe someone was driving around the roads with a brush hog and ripping the trees up. LOL
3rd. There was alot of shooting on the 2 day gun(alot after hours too). So I thought maybe bow season would be a better choice
4th. The public ground seems to get alot of pressure but I will do more homework to find some isolated spots.
5th. Everybody I met was super nice. but maybe because they didn't know I was from MI.:D
6th. I will be buying lots of OSU stuff to wear while down there to blend in with the crowd.LOLLOL.

Anyway,Hello, Great state to hunt and you sure have it good down there. And try not to beat on me too bad for being a wolves fan.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i completey agree,unless a guy wants to hunt deer thats fed or in a management program with everything done for him except releasing the arrow ,he's goofy to pay to hunt...with all the areas on public left that no one is hunting...many on here will try to say this isnt true for reasons that benefit them...theres a lot of public land that has large areas to hunt...and percentage wise of acreage compared to amount of hunters...the hunters cover a very small part of it...especially in archery season...and even gun season if one isnt too lazy to go over the 1st hill from the road...i'm sure some will cry that this post hurts to read...i'm sure it does but its the honest truth coming from a guy that hasnt a thing to gain monetarily from hunters...and a guy thats grew up on public land and hunted it nearly 50 yrs...its been great hunting all them yrs...about 10 yrs. ago some major magazine writers finally caught on...but its been there all along...you'll do good on public,just remember to hunt the largest parcels you can find and there will be no hunter pressure,just go where other hunters are not...good luck,hunt hard and you will be taking those big boys...:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Skinner. Since I hunt the UP of MI. which is similar to the big rolling hills of S. Ohio and almost all public ground, I have no problem going in a little deeper. A mile hike back to my spots is the norm. We have to to get to any good hunting.I haven't seen another guy near my spots while hunting in many years. Only problem I Mi hunters won't let them grow up and our deer get hunted hard for almost 3 mo. straight making them mostly nocturnal. And anybody reading don't worry, I do not yalk about specific spots so I will not give up anybody's honey holes.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the reply Skinner. Since I hunt the UP of MI. which is similar to the big rolling hills of S. Ohio and almost all public ground, I have no problem going in a little deeper. A mile hike back to my spots is the norm. We have to to get to any good hunting.I haven't seen another guy near my spots while hunting in many years. Only problem I Mi hunters won't let them grow up and our deer get hunted hard for almost 3 mo. straight making them mostly nocturnal. And anybody reading don't worry, I do not yalk about specific spots so I will not give up anybody's honey holes.
Hunted the U.P. several times, between Seney and Grand Marais. Love going up there for the scenery, solitude, and experience. Where do you go when you hunt the U.P.?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
679 Posts
I know what you mean about having to go deep. My first trip up there I was told "get more than 100 yards off a trail and you won't see a soul." Since then I've followed his advice but have been sure to load a backpack with compass, aerials, GPS, extra batteries, and enough food to last the night. You get back in and it's so quiet your ears ring. It also gives you the opportunity to put all those deer finding skills (topography, funnels, etc.) to use that you read in OL and F&S. Great place! Good luck here in OH!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As for my first out of state ohio experience, it was kind of a last minute decision to hunt and i had to hunt public. I have friends with land but didnt get the invite. Anyway, my e. ohio public land findings were as follows... Alot more hunters than i expected (and i knew there would be alot). I passed on one spike the first day and only saw a couple doe in the following days...I hunted 6 or 7 days in two different wildlife areas. I know they say to get away from the parking and access areas, and i did that to a point, but having to hunt by myself i was limited as the the safety factor, not being familair with the land, and i always consider the drag out if i would get one. Was kinda disapponting but hopefully by doing more scouting and homework i can increase my sightings and hunting areas.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Kind of blew me away when you said the UP is like southern Ohio. I've only driven through there but if I remember correctly the ground between Big Mac and the Sault was pretty flat. I made that trip back in 77 so it's been awhile. It must be hilly to the west.

Welcome to the site.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Don't worry about most of these guys Dux. Remember one thing: Once you get more than 100 miles south of the MI/OH border, ohio is just Kentucky with paved streets. Go Blue!!

·
Banned
452 Posts
Hey thunder, with little bucks like that in your avatar I wouldn't be talking smack!:D
No smack talk here..
Hey don't get offended, I was merely pointing out what you obviously already know about MI. BTW, you may not have gone home with an Ohio buck, but at least you left some of your Michigan buck$ in Ohio...:D:D:D
Go Blow:D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
B.C.S. Bound MI and osu is sitting at home, how long has Tressel been the coach there all the wins at osu since he has been coach are tarnished. OSU=cheaters.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
B.C.S. Bound MI and osu is sitting at home, how long has Tressel been the coach there all the wins at osu since he has been coach are tarnished. OSU=cheaters.
um is on probation for cheating right now.........:mischeif:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oh God threads like this are why I won't let any Michigan people on my land. You get one win and you rub it in. Explain how getting free tatoo's helped them beat you all these yrs. personally I think the NCAA is the biggest joke around. Banning teams from bowl games. Why would anyone want to punish innocent people. The kids on the team had nothing to do with the past.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh God threads like this are why I won't let any Michigan people on my land. You get one win and you rub it in. Explain how getting free tatoo's helped them beat you all these yrs. personally I think the NCAA is the biggest joke around. Banning teams from bowl games. Why would anyone want to punish innocent people. The kids on the team had nothing to do with the past.
Hey Mj, you are correct. The NCAA is a joke. The BCS is a joke. It is all about the big money. Oh and while driving thru Columbus I was flipped off 5 or 6 times and cut off twice but I am sure you would get much better treatment if you drove thru Ann Arbor with Ohio plates.:D :D

Ps. I have a beautiful cabin in the western UP of Mi. If you ever want to experience the hunting of the north woods, I would be happy to let you hunt my land.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
it seems to me the rubbing in goes both ways,usually thats the case when its prolly the biggest dam rivalary in the land...we all love it,crave it...:D"the kids on the team had nothing to do with the past"...but hopefully they will be more responsible now and in the rest of their college football days so the ones coming to play wont have to suffer from their mistakes...thats a big responsibility...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
michigan wins one game and the fans's heads get bigger than watermelons
OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

1 - 20 of 53 Posts