Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about the current House Bill 12 proposed for Ohio concealed carry? Without reading a book, what are the proposed requirements for obtaining a permit? I looked at some of it, fee not to exceed $45, background check including fingerprinting (although it looked like there was a provision for the background check records to be destroyed within 20 days), didn't either see or get to the part about passing a fire arms class or qualifying with a handgun. Anybody been following alot closer than I have had time to do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's sad to say, but as long as that spineless excuse of a govenor we have is still in office. We probably won't have a chance on getting that bill signed. This year, or any other year. The sad part of this is that the same piece of trash politician that promise Ohio gun owners that he would sign such a bill if we voted him into office. Is the exact same politician that is refusing to sign it today.

I admit that I voted for him. I won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Just out of curiosity, but why do you really need to carry a concealed weapon?

I'm not flaming anyone because there have been times I wouldn't have minded having one, but for the average Joe,,,"Do you really need to carry a loaded gun" or "do you want the permit so you could if you wanted too"?

Thunderflight

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Concealed carry

I frequent a cabin in the middle of nowhere with my 16 year old son. I never go without carrying a pistol. In inclement or cold weather, the gun is usually concealed under a coat, not to carry it concealed, just because that is the way it is with a holster on my belt. By letter of the law, I am in violation. Not to mention the times I fish all night at a spillway with Burt Reynolds and several of his friends from Deliverance:D

Then there was the time we were arrowhead hunting and an old beat up pickup truck pulled up with two guys and one girl with three teeth between the three of them, they might have been the nicest people in the world, but they surrrrrrrrrrre didn't look like it.

Need I go on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thunderflight,
I do not need, nor would I carry a concealed weapon all the time. I have two reasons for want a bill like this to pass that would allow me to have a CCW permit. First, as a citizen I should have the right to defend myself and my family if need be. Since our local police department is admittedly out gunned and out manned. As is the case with virtually all of our police departments these days. I find it more and more difficult to trust that they will be there to protect myself, and my family. In the best of situations they will show up after the fact. The damage will have been done. Lives may have been lost and they are there to take a report. They are not there to prevent a situation, but to follow up on it. Please do not take this as a slam on the police officers out there. They have a tough job, and I for one would not want it.

Secondly, I hunt deer with a pistol here in Ohio. By our current laws on the books. I could be arrested for the following scenario. I am carrying my super blackhawk in my holster on my hip. It is loaded because I am hunting deer. As I walk down the logging road to my truck that is sitting on public hunting lands. The game warden steps out and asked me if I am carrying a gun. He knows that I am because he can see my holster. What I didn’t realize is that my coat had slipped down over my pistol and was now concealed by my coat. Hopefully the warden would understand and only give me a warning. On the other hand, he might arrest me and take my weapon from me. The worse case scenario is that I am arrested, booked with a felony count of carrying a concealed weapon and then forfeit that weapon. It is my understanding that a CCW could possibly eliminate this possibility. Although this scenario with the game warden has never happen to me. I have had my coat slip down over my pistol while hunting.

Would I carry a weapon to work or to church, certainly not. I would only carry a weapon if I felt that I had a need for one. There is a lot of responsibility that goes along with this type of permission. I have no problem with requiring classes, background checks and finger printing for this permit.

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Fisher,

I agree with your reasoning. I doubt I'd ever get one. There is alot of responsibily the minute you draw that weapon. Once you pull the trigger there is no turning back. You have just changed your life in a matter of a split second. Could be good, but most likely in the end it will be for the worst.

There are a few times I wouldn't mind it, but generally I try to practive a bit of ORM and avoid bad situations.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't see the need for most folks to carry a concealed weapon, now if you handle lots of cash that would be one scenario where it should be allowed. As far as hunting goes I see no reason why it could not be carried concealed (in the field only), I mean the wardens know your out hunting and in order to hunt you have to carry and when hunting your usually got a good layer of clothing on and it's hard to wear it on the outside without your clothes wanting to cover it up. I can't see citizens carrying them in public display, I'm all for gun rights but we have to draw a line somewhere. If everyone started carrying them then it would not be long before things would revert back to the old west way of living, not that everyone would go in that direction but it is a possibilty of events like this happening. So to sum up my opinion in the field I don't have a problem with it, or while carrying large sums of cash, but in public just because you have the right to carry it I don't see it because there is a potential problem when non-law abiding citizens who would abuse the right.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I do carry a side arm when I'm out fishing at night or bankfishing at night. Mostly if I'm out by myself. While trapping you can carry a side arm. I have it in plain site in a holster. I have been checked several times with no problems. But you never know how the deputy that checks you will interrupt the laws. But working in Corrections you never know who will want to get back at you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Every man or woman has the right to protect themselves against bodily injury .... The police do not protect, they enforce laws that have been broken .. if you don't believe this, call the police and tell them you feel you need to be protected ... I carry at all times when fishing at night, or camping... There are way too many criminals out there that know WHEN you are most vunerable. I know that CC has some drawbacks ... Bucktail .. I don't see how anyone carrying large amounts of money fits into the equation ... life takes presedence over property .. I don't even know if you can use deadly force to protect cash if you don't feel your life is in peril. Just because someone has cash doesn't give them any more rights to protect themselves than anyone else.. Do I want everyone out there carrying a gun . no, do I want honest law abiding people to be able to protect themselves, their family, and to be able to feel safe without breaking the law .. yes

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Sounds like some of you are not NRA members?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was refering to business owners on the large sums of cash, if I'm not mistaken that used to be one of the main reasons people applied for a concealed weapon permit and sometimes a thing like that could be a deciding factor on getting a permit. Just to be able to carry a weapon in public because you have a right to do so don't fly with me because theres too many scenarios where the public could get harmed from a carriers negligence. Just because you got a permit to carry a gun does not mean your a responsible person and it does not mean that your a non-responsible one either. Theres too many people in society today and to allow people to wear handguns on their side and I feel it would cause major problems, like I said I got no problem with it in the field. If you need to feel safe in public, just walk softly and carry a big stick. Don't let the NRA stuff go to your head in my opinion they have many good points and just as many bad in certain cases. I support them but then again, what it boils down to is what you believe in....

Sounds like some of you want to shoot first and ask questions later, hmmmmmm maybe thats why they started passing laws to begin with to protect the public from those people. Just because someone looks like a criminal don't mean they are and just because they don't look like one don't mean their not. Remember you heard it here first , there is no way in hell that people will be able to carry side arms in public, society will not allow it. The NRA will never be able to change that, to carry in the field while hunting is one thing and I'm all for it, but the only people who should carry them in public should be law enforcement or a derivitive of law enforcement. I been robbed at gunpoint and believe me if I had been carrying a weapon someone would have died, I'm glad I wasnt because even if I would have been carrying there is no guarantee that it would not have been me.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i have a cousin down around athens that lives in a small hamlet,bout 5 families and he always carries a 22 revolver in a holster...every buddy refers to him as the marshall of circleville,its legal

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
hey george,what's wrong with circleville?:D
anyway,i probably wouldn't put in for a permit but there have been times when i wish that i had been carrying a hand gun.
i had a run in up in columbus several years back while my family and i were doing some shopping.we were putting some packages in our vehicle when we got "approached" by 4 or 5 young guys that started to hassle us a bit.but they walked away when i turned around and they saw a tire iron in my hand.i just asked them if they had somewhere else they'd rather be.
really scarey though.if one of them would have had a gun i don't know how things would have turned out.i don't even know if it would have helped if i would have had one.to be honest if someone points a gun at me they have the upper hand.all you can really do then is give them what they want and pray things don't go bad.i think some of them would shoot you just to watch you drop.
it's ashame that the times have changed the way they have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually Bucktail crime has gone down in almost every state that has passed CC. I probably would never carry a gun, but I would much rather have people carrying guns who have a permit that the criminals who are carrying them illegal now. Just think about it -- do you think that criminals are not carrhing guns right now?? Why would they care about CC -- only law-abiding, honest people are affected by CC.
Acutally that's why I don't understand the Ohio patrol position -- the people who would shoot them already have guns!!!!! Honest people with guns don't shoot cops. Sure there can be accidents, what makes you think the accidents don't happen now??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts