Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
22,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some good data here, and the CCW holders continue to increase with each year.

Since the implementation of Ohio's concealed handgun law in April 2004, the state has issued 296,588 regular and temporary concealed carry licenses. In 2011, county sheriffs issued 54,021 regular licenses (49,828 new licenses and 4,193 renewal licenses) and 73 temporary licenses.
It's estimated the increasing trend of CCW holders in the USA is now estimated in the 15-18 Million range nationwide and continuing to rise quickly. Makes the law breaking criminals think twice about taking grandmas purse as she is walking down the street.:biggrin:

·
22,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other important note for those traveling-

Currently, Ohio has reciprocity agreements with the following states.

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Florida
Idaho
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming

·
Registered
113 Posts
Some useful CCW info

Just a little info about getting your CCW if you live in Stark or Summit counties. The waiting period is upto 45 days in both of these counties, however, if you go to Wayne co. or Holmes Co. you can have it in your hand within 48 hours of applying.
I completed the class on a Sunday, went down and applied at Wayne Co. Sherriffs Dept. on Monday and returned on Wednesday to pick up my card. Also at Wayne, you do not need to bring a passport photo, they have a digital camera there so they take your pic when they go over your paper work.
My wife filed here in Stark and it took about a month for hers to come back. It's a bit of a drive to Waynesville but well worth the time and gas if you, like me and just about everybody I know, don't particularlly want to wait a month or more for your permit to come back. As long as the county you're applying in shares a boarder with your county of residence, you're good to go.

·
Registered
113 Posts
CCW reciprocity

You missed a few Deer Hunter. I believe there are now 31 states that honor our CCW.
Here's a link to Ohios reciprocity map.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-reciprocity-map

Right now, there are bills introduced on a federal level that would make all states honor the CCW of any other state. I strongly urge anybody who carries to write their elected representatives urging them to support HR 822 (which has already passed in the house) and s.2188 the senates companion legislation to HR822. Theres is also a Senate bill S.2213" Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act" which is pending in Senate. Write your senators, get active, let your voice be heard on these important gun issues.

lol...yeah, I'm an NRA member.....

·
22,528 Posts
Just a little info about getting your CCW if you live in Stark or Summit counties. The waiting period is upto 45 days in both of these counties, however, if you go to Wayne co. or Holmes Co. you can have it in your hand within 48 hours of applying.
I completed the class on a Sunday, went down and applied at Wayne Co. Sherriffs Dept. on Monday and returned on Wednesday to pick up my card. Also at Wayne, you do not need to bring a passport photo, they have a digital camera there so they take your pic when they go over your paper work.
My wife filed here in Stark and it took about a month for hers to come back. It's a bit of a drive to Waynesville but well worth the time and gas if you, like me and just about everybody I know, don't particularlly want to wait a month or more for your permit to come back. As long as the county you're applying in shares a boarder with your county of residence, you're good to go.
You are correct on adjacent counties having different times. I went to Medina county when I got mine and it was about a week. Lake county is even faster, a friend got his in a few days, so picking a county that is adjacent to yours can cut out some waiting time.

You missed a few Deer Hunter. I believe there are now 31 states that honor our CCW.
Here's a link to Ohios reciprocity map.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-reciprocity-map

Right now, there are bills introduced on a federal level that would make all states honor the CCW of any other state. I strongly urge anybody who carries to write their elected representatives urging them to support HR 822 (which has already passed in the house) and s.2188 the senates bill.

lol...yeah, I'm an NRA member.....
Good catch. I got that diirectly out of the annual report in this post,and didn't even see that.

I should know better- I just checked last week to see if I could carry into Kansas if I get drawn this summer for a fall Deer hunt, and realized last week-Illinois was the only state w/o reciprocity. I should have caught that!:biggrin:

Here's more good information-

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

·
Registered
113 Posts
Illinois shouldn't be a stumbling block for you if you have no intention of spending any time in the state. Most states have a good faith policy in regards to CCW who are traveling and have no intention of spending any time in the state they're in besides to pass through to another state. That said, would I keep my gun loaded and holstered while driving in Ilinois? No. I wouldn't. I would take the magazine out of the gun and put it and any ammuntion I have in the back of my truck leaving my firearm up front. That should cover you in the event you're pulled over. Having a gun in Il. is not quite a crime (yet) nor is transporting a firearm in Ilinois. You just can't carry concealed there and I'm pretty damn sure they have no open carry either. Either way....as soon as you're out of their God forsaken state, you can holster up and be on your way.

·
22,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Illinois shouldn't be a stumbling block for you if you have no intention of spending any time in the state. Most states have a good faith policy in regards to CCW who are traveling and have no intention of spending any time in the state they're in besides to pass through to another state. That said, would I keep my gun loaded and holstered while driving in Ilinois? No. I wouldn't. I would take the magazine out of the gun and put it and any ammuntion I have in the back of my truck leaving my firearm up front. That should cover you in the event you're pulled over. Having a gun in Il. is not quite a crime (yet) nor is transporting a firearm in Ilinois. You just can't carry concealed there and I'm pretty damn sure they have no open carry either. Either way....as soon as you're out of their God forsaken state, you can holster up and be on your way.
That would be correct- you have to adjust to the state law that you are passing through. My plan was to handle the adjustment right before I enter Illinois and re-adjust as I enter Mo.:biggrin:

·
Registered
113 Posts
That would be correct- you have to adjust to the state law that you are passing through. My plan was to handle the adjustment right before I enter Illinois and re-adjust as I enter Mo.:biggrin:
lol I would be on the side of the road within 200 feet of passing into Mo. getting my affairs back in order! :D

·
22,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep- right when you get to the welcome sign...:D

·
Banned
624 Posts
I finally got some time to look at the Report and was wondering if someone could explain to me why only about 15% or less of those who got permits bothered to renew, according to the individual county data? Am I reading the county data right?

If you look at total permits state wide, the state issued 22,103 permits in 2007 and 5 years later when the licenses came up for renewal, they only renewed 4,193. That's less than 20%.

The trend in renewals is generally decreasing rapidly even if the total number of holders is increasing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The lower renewal rates in 2011 is explained by the transition from 4 year renewal to 5 year renewal. Licenses issued in 2006 need to be renewed in 4 years and would have been renewed in 2010. Licenses issued in 2007 are 5 year renewal and do not need renewed until 2012. The number of renewals in 2011 reflects those that needed to be renewed in 2010, but were not. Actually, there were no licenses that needed renewal in the 4th quarter of 2011. Also, the number of new licenses issued includes temporary emergency licenses. These are good for 90 days and can not be renewed. The number of renewals since Ohio started issuing licenses is right around 70%

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know I read that somewhere, about the 70% renewals, but I'll be darned if I can find it again.

However, If you study the chart you posted, it does work out pretty close to that . Licenses issued from 2004 until 2006 numbered pretty close to 100,000. Beginning in 2008 when the first licenses became renewable and continuing forward through 2010, renewals numbered close to 70,000. (Actually I read the number was 65,699)

The Ohio Attorney General site has statistics, but for some reason I can't get the actual numbers for those years, the pages won't download. My numbers may be a little off since I was going off the chart, but I gotta think they're fairly close.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts