Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone would like ohio to allow rifle hunting. What are your thought? How would it be limited? Lets face it we cannot have a bunch of guys shooting 300 weatherbys.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
If they did allow rifles, there wouldn't be too many limits I wouldn't think. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I think they need to leave it as is slug gun only but maybe limit it to three day only that is enough for the gun slingers to throw lead at everything that moves.I think rifes would be to much power for ohio in certain area even though i like to see it someday but i dont think we will ever see it

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
yes even in the country houses and livestock is everywhere.seein the way hunters are with shotguns i feel it would be dangerous and a disaster.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Who exactly wants Ohio to allow rifles? What would be the point? The only thing that will end up killing more of is people. If someone can't get within 100 yard or less of a deer, perhaps they should take up a new hobby.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont believe they will ever allow it, I myself like to hunt with rifles and maybe it could be looked into in certain counties, but again I dont think they will take the time or resources to even get into this issue, when all is said and done are shotgun slugs that much more safer than rifle bullets??? even though I dont know the ballistics for a shotgun slug right off the top of my head I feel its safe to say they will travel one hell of a long way in open country, in the hands of a safe, ethical hunter it would probably be no problem to let that person hunt with a rifle, in the hands of Shemp even a slingshot wouldnt be wise.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I dont see it happening. The politicians from the major cities will see that it doesnt ever happen.

So I will go to other states to hunt with a rifle. I am okay with that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I didn't mean to emply that rifles are dangerous and shotguns are not, just that very few people understand the range of a rifle. A typical shotgun slug, shot at a 30degree angle, has a maximum range of less than 900 yards. A 30-06, shot at the same angle, has a range of nearly 5 miles. As Smallie34 mentioned, it's all in who holds the weapon, but I think we can all agree that some people just don't think before they pull the trigger. Whether we use rifles or shotguns will not change our deer herd in any way. The herd is controlled by how many tags are allowed, and that can be adjusted if needed. West Virginia's problem is a history of poor deer management. They have always managed for quantity, not quality, though it seems they are changing their ways in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it is not broken dont fix it

Sorry, just bad Idea
The rifle is more efficient weapon. The rifle would inrease hunter success rates,increasing harvest numbers and would eventually lead to shorter more restricted gun season. Most shotguns are limited to about 75yds whille many scoped riffle hunters accuratly shoot 250+ yards accuratly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I never considered the fact that the rifle is a more effecient weapon, I guess thats true even though I have seen some guys that are murder with there favorite slug gun, as far as the size of the heard though if we are worried about that limit people to 1 deer a year instead of multiple #s, I also cant help but to think before a rifle bullet travels much past a few hundred yards that bullet will hit a tree, the ground etc, I think the one thing we all agree on though is that the powers to be will never allow it, good news is that we are surrounded by states that do allow rifle hunting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is too dangerous now where I hunt that I stop going in gun season. I can't imagine rifles being allowed.
The number of hunters would have to decrease significantly for me to feel safe with a rifle.

Can you imagine 50,000+ hunters on the opening Monday of gun season sporting .300 Win Mags? I don't think I would feel safe driving, let alone hunting.

Plus, at least where I am at, people can't even carry a gun properly, let alone make a confident, safe shot.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Again it goes back to who is out there with a weapon, people that are just out there just spraying lead around are going to be dangerous no matter what, whether it be a shotgun, handgun, bow, muzzleloader, or rifle, with that said I will say I understand where you guys are coming from that are concerned about safety, I just started deer hunting again after a few years away from it because I was able to get access to some private property, I just wish that we could rifle hunt and feel its a shame that we cant over concerns about people being careless with a weapon in there hand.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
yup restrictions must be made...like the going to 3 shells in the magazine...this will save lives...it was a good call...1 in the mag. would save lives even better,illiminate lot of drive huntin and hunters making sure they learn to shoot straight...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love rifles and I don't think I would support it .. first I believe that ohio's terrain for the most part supports close range hunting, this would make a high powerd rifle overkill, not to mention the population density. I don't know how many people in other states are killed by stray bullets, I think most hunting accidents happen from a hunter mistaken another hunter for game. So if this is true rifles might cut down on that due to the use of better optics and stronger scopes .. but that is speculation on my part. I just think that in todays world and with our liberal society that not enough people understand the ballistics involved in firing a rifle, too many people enter the woods with far too little experience in the field, and far too little common sense for me to feel safe. Just my 2 cents but I don't think it will ever happen or it already would have ..

1 - 20 of 72 Posts