Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I just read my OBA magazine and noted 3 concerns of the OBA...They are:

outfitters being licensed...which i agree...and have since this began many yrs.ago...i'm glad to see the oba wanting this done...:bouncy:

opposing muzz season in oct.or early nov...again i agree...thats the heart of archery season they want to throw guns into...even the heart of the rut...you can still contact the odnr and voice your concerns...

i said when the youth season was put where it was it would be the beginning of more guns being put into archery season...well since fall turk came and now they want to throw in the muzzes...:nono:i never opposed youth season,just the date of it...i always said it should have been the weekend before gun season...shoot gun could be moved a week later and throw muzz in before it...if it must be done...i can see muzz before gun...i hunt with muzz too and care less if its moved...:D

last...OBA membership...i seen some concerns there too...and i would like to see it go up...so we have some clout to stop thangs like the 2 concerns mentioned above...i urged people here before to join and many did then quit when things got rough...again i urge you to join...i like many here do not agree with the oba's stance on xbows and i also dont like how some things were handled concerning that...but members can make changes by voting for officers that will make the change...i feel it will happen eventually anyway...but for now i urge people to join and make it a strong orginization to fight against this stuff like guns encroaching into the archery season...the oba still sits in these counsils with the odnr but it sure would be helpful to have at least 1/2 of all the bowhunters out there...and i mean bow hunters as the odnr recognizes...think about it...then join today...strength is in numbers...no more gun seasons in archery seasons...outfitters need to be licensed now...:biggrin:

·
5,040 Posts
When they change their position on crossbows or [email protected] freezes over I'll rejoin. Not sure which will happen first. As for them representing Ohio bowhunters.....I don't think 400 members out of 100,000 is very representative. Especially when they lean to the traditional side.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When they change their position on crossbows or [email protected] freezes over I'll rejoin. Not sure which will happen first. As for them representing Ohio bowhunters.....I don't think 400 members out of 100,000 is very representative. Especially when they lean to the traditional side.
how do you feel about the first 2 issues...:mischeif:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Screw the OBA - why should a handful for old malcontents have a say of thousands of musket hunters - they can kiss muh groady ole -a$$ - dang :mischeif::whistle::biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Screw the OBA - why should a handful for old malcontents have a say of thousands of musket hunters - they can kiss muh groady ole -a$$ - dang :mischeif::whistle::biggrin:
when it comes into the archery season it does and to bowhunters whether theyre in the oba or not...concerned bowhunters need to at least let the odnr know what they think...i must admit i would not have known of this had it not been for the oba...:D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
when it comes into the archery season it does and to bowhunters whether theyre in the oba or not...concerned bowhunters need to at least let the odnr know what they think...i must admit i would not have known of this had it not been for the oba...:D
Over 210,000 hunters participated in the muzzle loader season in Ohio - during Early muzzle loader season hunters are restricted to 3 areas in the state to hunt - dang - Archery has a long season and there is plenty of time for them greedy ole OBA people - amazing how a handful of people want to always have it their way - they should be put in a museum - dang - heh heh :whistle::mischeif:

ever wonder the the OBA membership is on the decline - duh

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over 210,000 hunters participated in the muzzle loader season in Ohio - during Early muzzle loader season hunters are restricted to 3 areas in the state to hunt - dang - Archery has a long season and there is plenty of time for them greedy ole OBA people - amazing how a handful of people want to always have it their way - they should be put in a museum - dang - heh heh :whistle::mischeif:

ever wonder the the OBA membership is on the decline - duh
archery season ends just before gun season in my book...now guns are taking over october and november...thats the problem its just a handful of the bowhunters out there but i'm sure a lot of bowhunters wont be happy with muzzes in the rut...:D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
archery season ends just before gun season in my book...now guns are taking over october and november...thats the problem its just a handful of the bowhunters out there but i'm sure a lot of bowhunters wont be happy with muzzes in the rut...:D
Your book don't matter - DOW serves ALL the people - dang - maybe if the OBA learned how to go along - it would get along with the majority of hunters and their membership would increase - now its just a bunch of ole shrivvled up controlling traddies dying on the vine and dangel'n in the wind -
they deserve what their get'n for being obtuse - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
geezer i sent an email to you...tried pming but it was full...:D
Yeah i got it George - i was aware of the situation you mentioned - i will let my comments stand as i was not referencing any individual but the OBA as an organization.

Talked to Thunderflight for a while on the phone today - hope we all can hook up some time this summer - he will be busy for a while get'n settled into his new base and all - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lean to trad. side hah...no most i have seen there use compounds...but thats irrelavent...:D

·
5,040 Posts
lean to trad. side hah...no most i have seen there use compounds...but thats irrelavent...:D
What would you guess the average age is of OBA members? 55, 60?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What would you guess the average age is of OBA members? 55, 60?
i wonder how that factors into the percentage of hunters thats that age or over...but i'm not sure...i see all ages...and thats why people should be joining...especially younger ones and get with the times...whether they like it or not this will happen if it is to survive...and i hope it does...or bowhunters have no voice at all...hopefully any bowhunter that cares calls the odnr and voice there displeasure with the planned added gun changes...:D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
i wonder how that factors into the percentage of hunters thats that age or over...but i'm not sure...i see all ages...and thats why people should be joining...especially younger ones and get with the times...whether they like it or not this will happen if it is to survive...and i hope it does...or bowhunters have no voice at all...hopefully any bowhunter that cares calls the odnr and voice there displeasure with the planned added gun changes...:D
What makes you think bowhunters will have no voice at all in Ohio if the OBA folds - well i agree with ya one one thing they should GET WITH THE TIMES - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
As for them representing Ohio bowhunters.....I don't think 400 members out of 100,000 is very representative..
Very good point

archery season ends just before gun season in my book...now
Fair weather bow hunter it sounds like:D
Sent via Campbells soup can an string..

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
The days of great hunting in Ohio are over. The youth season was the seed (told ya so).

Humor me for a moment.

2005 (I think that was the year it started or at least close to it) was the last time I hunted Ohio before I deployed overseas. Last November, after five years of not hunting the buckeye state, I came up for a few days before I headed back to Japan.

Folks I was shocked at the lack of deer sign/sightings. The areas I hunted used to literally have a deer behind every tree, but now there aren't as many.

Now there is talk of an early ML season? Is there really enough deer in Ohio to support this level of management?

The ODNR is serving the wishes of the residents of the great state of Ohio. If the gun slinging crowd wants this season then they've probably got more people behind them to back it up. If the OBA wants to be heard and taken seriously then they need to grow a significant membership. The only way that will ever happen is if they start allowing crossbows.

If we ever move back to Ohio I'll run for OBA president and change this.;)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
The days of great hunting in Ohio are over. The youth season was the seed (told ya so).

Humor me for a moment.

2005 (I think that was the year it started or at least close to it) was the last time I hunted Ohio before I deployed overseas. Last November, after five years of not hunting the buckeye state, I came up for a few days before I headed back to Japan.

Folks I was shocked at the lack of deer sign/sightings. The areas I hunted used to literally have a deer behind every tree, but now there aren't as many.

Now there is talk of an early ML season? Is there really enough deer in Ohio to support this level of management?

The ODNR is serving the wishes of the residents of the great state of Ohio. If the gun slinging crowd wants this season then they've probably got more people behind them to back it up. If the OBA wants to be heard and taken seriously then they need to grow a significant membership. The only way that will ever happen is if they start allowing crossbows.

If we ever move back to Ohio I'll run for OBA president and change this.;)
thats what i'm saying tf...and if you run i'll vote for you...:bouncy:i would think the "no deer"complainers would be up in arms,heh heh...over this...a muzz season at this time will be a slaughter...and this is complete disrespect to bowhunters here in ohio...i've said it before and i'll say it again ...where will this guns encroaching into archery season end...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts