·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Can't say that I am.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hmmmm

Ill be there to visit couple friends, but IMO they are poor organization representing a very small portion of bow hunters in this state.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Hmmm do we have a conflict going on here.A small group what group would that be i thought we were all bowhunters here.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Aimrite,

I agree and disagree with you.

I do agree that the OBA does not represent all of the bowhunters in this state because they exclude crossbow hunters.

I disagree that the OBA is poor organization representing a small portion of the bowhunters.

The OBA has taken a position of not supporting the crossbow hunter majority here in Ohio. Thier primary focus is on the more traditional bowhunter, and I don't mean just stick bows, but rather anything but a crossbow.

The OBA existed long before crossbows were ever legal to hunt with in Ohio. The OBA as a whole is a excellent, hard working group of bowhunters working to protect and preserve yours and my right to bowhunt. There is no other single organization in Ohio that has done more for the sport of bowhunting.

That being said, I personally disagree with the official OBA stance on crossbows, but I refuse to deminish all of the positive work they do as an organization due to what I see as one negitive, evan as large as it may be.

I still hope that someday the OBA will see that the only way to truely protect the sport of bowhunting is to be inclusive not exclusive.

Kim

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i agree they do not represent all hunters...sad that they don't make an attempt to bring all hunters in archery season together as one,to make bowhunting stronger and to help edjookate many hunters that share the woods with us...i have heard other members say this so i know i'm not the only one that feels this way and i have talked to some that either left or will not join because of the predjudice towards other hunters...but i also believe its one of the best orginzations protecting hunters ...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here is the web site. www.ohiobowhunters.com. And yes, I will be at the banquet.

The OBA does represent every single bowhunter in the state of Ohio whether you are a member or not. The OBA is the largest bowhunting organization in the state of Ohio. It is the only org. that lobbys for bowhunter rights with the ODNR. Although it has hundreds of members, actually only a very small percentage of Ohio bowhunters belong to it. The OBA has been instrumental in gaining or saving bowhunting days that would have been lost if the ODNR had not been pursueded by them. For many years they lobbied to get a fall archery only turkey season before it came about. They also fought for the dove season even though it was not a bowhunting issue. There is lots more that I just can't remember right now. I would urge all bowhunters in this state to join up. It is only $15.00 per year. They have 3 large bowhunter shoots every year, and a nice banquet every year. You can check out what the club is all about at the Deer Creek State Park lodge in Mount Sterling, Ohio this Saturday. Feb. the 22. Several seminars will take place there. The seminars are free. They start at 9:15 A.M. with an elk hunting seminar. Different seminars will go into the afternoon ending with a question and answer session with the ODNR. The actual awards banquet starts at 6:00. There will also be many mounts on display and vendor booths set up. If you hunt with a stickbow or a compound bow I guarantee that you will enjoy it. We will also have a booth set up at the Deer & Turkey Expo in Columbus, in March.

·
Registered
378 Posts
LMAO the OBA will never see a dime from me as they are presently organized.
Less than 4% of bow hunters in Ohio are OBA members.
Enough said
:eek:

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
No cross bow aren't they bowhunters??Just a question don't flame me.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i agree aimrite and thats where lots of hunters in orginazations don't get it...they assume they are the majority when in fact by far most hunters do not belong to any type of organized archery or orginized hunting clubs...oba and many clubs are having trouble getting members...a lot is because of this xbow issue and the oldschool thinking...i used to be part of that thinking,but many are changing and i know some that have dropped out because of it...i personally think this will change with younger membership taking over...many bowhunters today hunt with xbow hunters and see them as a hunter...many compound hunters use xbows too and even some trads. use xbows and i'm sure some use all weapons including guns and muzz...once the old guard is gone this will no longer be an issue...but all this said the oba has done a lot for hunting but also don't forget there are others too that have too...the odnr has done way more than all put together...

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I agree George, there will be a day that the issue of the x-bow and the OBA will be no more. They are in this state to stay. It doesn't matter how much bitching and moaning people do about it.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I agree with you there.Thats why i tihnk these archery clubs should welcome x bow shooters.Like you said spiter they are hear to stay, so we as "bowhunters" should help these guys out not flame them and not band them from the 3-d course.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well anyway if you get a chance,drop by...you may just have a good time and chances are there will be hunters there you know...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts