Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
havnt been on the site for a while in late january i just puchaced a house on 11 acres 9 of which are woods. long story short i scraped up a few acorns and were wondering if anyone could help me identify the type of oak they were.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
limbs are to high off the ground to get a good leaf, and the leaves on the grund are too beat up to ID lol

·
22,521 Posts
How big are those acorns? Put a ruler next to a few in a picture....and are the leaves on the tree rounded on the edges or pointy?

I'm leaning pin oak or red oak as of now.

·
5,040 Posts
I'd guess red oak, are the limbs normal or do they seem to droop, is so a pin oak.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
How big are those acorns? Put a ruler next to a few in a picture....and are the leaves on the tree rounded on the edges or pointy?

I'm leaning pin oak or red oak as of now.
if leaves are rounded like the white mans bullets its a white oak...

if leaves are pointed like the red mans arrows its red oak...:biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
pointed with a lil hair on the tips...you got your answer...go back to my age old saying...its a red oak...now the fun begins on identification in the two main groups...its not as easy as some might think to identify the red oak or white oak sub species:D...i use a special book that makes it beyond reasonable doubt...identifies any tree in north america...but even with it oaks are as hard as its wood to id...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts