Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contacted by a friend who was issued 5 tags for removing some deer from his farm in Lodi. He said I can only use my bow and I have to camp there and hit early. No problem but what I've no experience with is what clothing is suitable for a 90deg hunt and how the heck do I keep meat cold on the way to a processor? Will I have any issues with this and what am I allowed to do with the deer? Can I field butcher?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
You sure can field butcher if u call in and tag Ur deer via cell phone

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Turkey gear is good to wear. And ice it down and get the in side out and the out sides in.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i bowhunted in texas and the weather was like we've had here in columbus in the last 3 wks...98-100degrees with very high humidity...you wore net clothing but you practically melted out there and when you kilt a deer it was field dressed/skinned cut up and put in an igloo cooler in one process...sometimes we kept them in camp a week but there was always plenty of ice in that cooler...never lost a deer to spoiling...:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. So he said bow only. So
I'm guessing I'm shooting and not recovering? Will there be a dead deer in someones yard?

What about scent control?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
scent control...watch what yuh eat and drink and shower(no soap) before every hunt ...it helps more than anythang out there in the scent free market...clean sweat is non smelly sweat...:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Awesome. So he said bow only. So
I'm guessing I'm shooting and not recovering? Will there be a dead deer in someones yard?

What about scent control?

Shooting and not recovering?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
scent control...watch what yuh eat and drink and shower(no soap) before every hunt ...it helps more than anythang out there in the scent free market...clean sweat is non smelly sweat...:D
I kind of wanted to expand on this one.

I just read in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life, one of the two, an article about them trying a bunch of scent free and cover scent products. They put the products up against Police K9 dogs, to see what worked and what didnt.

Bottom line, nothing worked. None of the scent eliminator products worked at all, and cover scents only slowed the dog down for a second. The dog busted them all in under a minute, and three quarters of the products didnt even make it 30 seconds.

It was a neat read, if I can find a link, Ill put it up.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I kind of wanted to expand on this one.

I just read in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life, one of the two, an article about them trying a bunch of scent free and cover scent products. They put the products up against Police K9 dogs, to see what worked and what didnt.

Bottom line, nothing worked. None of the scent eliminator products worked at all, and cover scents only slowed the dog down for a second. The dog busted them all in under a minute, and three quarters of the products didnt even make it 30 seconds.

It was a neat read, if I can find a link, Ill put it up.
They run a similar article yearly..I am not hunting Germ sheps,so the study didnt spank my crank :mischeif:
The fact is anything you do to minimize odor is NOT GOING TO HURT you hunt..Scent control can mean many different things to different ppl...To some it means not pumping gas in there hunting gear.But for others it means not gettin dressed until they are parked and out of the vehicle..The key if you ask me is to keep ALL foreign odors off your gear,gas,bacon smell etc etc..And try to keep your body odor bacteria to a minimum..If my research proves right,sweat itself doesn't smell..But it does spread the smelly bacteria that causes body odor..So I try an kill that bacteria an then no sweat...Thats tough in late September,so I cant see it being easier earlier in the yr...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I want to recover for sure. I just don't know how one recovers a deer that runs away to another property with an arrow stuck in it. I assume I would knock in doors and ask " u see my dead deer?"

This farm is a flower farm and is only about 6 acres. Thoughts on the likelihood I'll hit a perfect kill? That is what I meant.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Oh I want to recover for sure. I just don't know how one recovers a deer that runs away to another property with an arrow stuck in it. I assume I would knock in doors and ask " u see my dead deer?"

This farm is a flower farm and is only about 6 acres. Thoughts on the likelihood I'll hit a perfect kill? That is what I meant.

Well, chances are you'll track it a bit, usually the way bowhunting goes. Choose your hunting spot a decent distance from property lines and you should be good.

If you don't shoot well enough to be confident in making kill shots, or if you don't shoot a bow much, then the best advice for you is, don't hunt with a bow.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

5 nuisance permits for a 6 acre flower farm:eek:Thanks odnr :banghead:

Sent via Campbells soup can an string..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
5 nuisance permits for a 6 acre flower farm:eek:Thanks odnr :banghead:

Sent via Campbells soup can an string..
i seem to get the picture...thats a good sized flower farm...if deer are destroying his business its legit...theres more to this world than bowhunters and hunters...they do it for a business,we do it for fun...the odnr thruout the yrs. have increased the herd 10 fold...for hunters...and they went too far...hunters want it all...wont happen,shouldnt happen...i still feel once the goal is reached...hunters will still have the best deal...:biggrin:

as for deer recovery ,you assumed correctly...you may want to go in advance to the neighbors and ask them about this...hopefully there will be no problem and its about a 100%chance your deer will make it to their place...not notifing them is the worst thing you can do and get you a fine and a label as a trespasser...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Again, I hunt legit; just helping out some family with their business.

6 acres of flowers is big and these are registered species. They already lost a few acres and are really struggling.dogs are not working.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you apply for damage permits than hunters should be permitted to hunt your land. IMO. I would atleast like to see them atleast turn the meat over to food banks to help the ones in need.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
We do it for fun but are stuck with paying for everything. Doesn't make sense at all
i think we've been well taken care of deer wise and turk wise when you go back to the 50,s and see what we had...just a very small part what the odnr does for hunters...they HAVE to manage for all ohioians and in my opinion thats the right thing to do...the rest of ohioians should not have to suffer so we can have fun killing deer...theres plenty of deer in ohio and its one of the best places in the usa to hunt deer...:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i think we've been well taken care of deer wise and turk wise when you go back to the 50,s and see what we had...just a very small part what the odnr does for hunters...they HAVE to manage for all ohioians and in my opinion thats the right thing to do...the rest of ohioians should not have to suffer so we can have fun killing deer...theres plenty of deer in ohio and its one of the best places in the usa to hunt deer...:D
This is true - however comma spacebar

The crop damage permits should not be a free for all. If the deer damage enough crops that it causes a loss for the farmers, that should be an insurance issue.

The crop damage permits are not regulated properly. Rifles should not be allowed. Bucks should definitely not be allowed. I don't think the farmer should be allowed to let his friends to fill the tags for him.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
If you apply for damage permits than hunters should be permitted to hunt your land. IMO. I would atleast like to see them atleast turn the meat over to food banks to help the ones in need.
i agree...but something i've heard from farmers and even unfarmed properties is bowhunters especially dont kill enough deer and many trophy hunt only...to a point i've even heard this even with gun hunters...my relatives do not use damage permits but they do want hunters killing deer because of the damage they do to crops ...theyre considered a nuisance to them...but some of my relatives dont farm their land and they like having a lot of deer...whats that tell you...i do think the meat should not be wasted...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts