Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(
Before the hog and chicken farms in northern Darke County got big, Jeff Schlecty would draw his bow and arrow, aim at a carp in the Wabash River and hope he didn't hit a small-mouth bass.

"There were so many nice bass, you really had to watch," Schlecty said.

If the 33-year-old Schlecty went fishing in the Wabash now, he likely wouldn't catch a single small-mouth - because there might not be any left.

Two Ohio EPA water-quality studies on the rivers, creeks and streams that feed the Wabash tell why small-mouth bass are vanishing.

"The water in those areas is not in good shape, and the primary cause of the (pollution) is not septic tanks, treatment plants or fertilizer - it's manure, mainly from large farms," said Robert Miltner, an aquatic biologist for the Ohio EPA. "The problems with manure and farms have been building for many years, and this confirmed what we believed all along. We didn't find a single small-mouth bass in the Wabash River."

The Wabash begins near New Weston, an hour's drive north of Dayton, and winds 475 miles through Ohio and Indiana before emptying into the Ohio River near Evansville. The Ohio portion of the river is the state's "most degraded watershed," according to the EPA report.

(more)
http://www.activedayton.com/ddn/project/farm/1201overview.html

·
Registered
261 Posts
i don't doubt that there is pollution but this statement is where I have to say duh
he looked down from a small plane above the river in Mercer County. "Trees, grass or some kind of buffer protects the water and aquatic life from (manure), from runoff, but it's just not there."
Not sure of when or to what extent but they dredged and removed all trees along stretches of the wabash sometime about 15 years ago. Not to mention what they did to the beaver. You used to be able to catch Large Mouth, and decent catfish in Mercer county years back in these rivers but with no habitat I guess they moved on. But I haven't fished these rivers in a long time it could have changed.

http://www.swampgoddess.com/thesis4b.html

Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, isn't it gret that the EPA can test and report the pollution, BUT THEY WON'T STOP IT. 2 years ago they dredged our marina on Lake Erie and piled the dredgings on a beach. I called the EPA and said do you realize that (name) marina is dredging and putting the gas and oil contaminated bottom dredgings on a Lake Erie Beach??? EPA guy said, "Oh, they can do that -- they have A PERMIT !!!!!" It is all about money -- put it in the right place and you can do whatever you want. Those mega farms are owned by major corporations with major bucks and they will pollute for years and years before our government lifts a finger to stop them.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the read Bill ..

Besides the mega farm water-quality krap they put out, it looks like you guys got channelized like they did up in Putnam County where I used to live .. it ruins fishin' & just pushes the water downstream faster causin' more problems downstream. Flood plains are a natural thing & good for the Enviroment, but not good for farmers that want to turn a few more buck$ to turn there flood plain into a fishless slit-ditch & dump there water on those downstream:mad:

I got warmed-up when I read this yesterday or the day before in the Dayton paper & also posted it in the SW forum of gfo .. it seems that district #5 from Cinnici to the Northern district border is goin' down the tubes unless that area gets there act together!!! Yeah ~ the Almighty Dollar vs ........................ enough, I'm gettin RED again!!!:eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS .. sorry Bob, didn't see your post !!

I agree with your post all the way .. just check out the Chicken farm thingy that's been goin' on for years in central Ohio & kinda bein' addressed after all these years .. Ohio/EPA/Whatever leaves alot to be desired!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh ERIE ERIE I make good money on these farms! I do agree they should be more controlled! There are farmers paying to have manure from the farms spread on there land! Its not just in Darke county its statewide! Hogs, chickens, turkeys! There just getting bigger every year! The farms I work on have 5000-10,000 birds in each building! Thats alot of crap in a years time! Gotta go somewhere! They should be able to incinerate it! Just thoughts sitting here bored to death! Glenn:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
getinjiggy ...

I grew up on a small Henry County family farm .. it's just that the big mega farms don't care for the land & what they do to it or to the neighbors like on a family farm who's owners live on the land & in the community. :(

Their's no better way to fertlize than use manure, but it's the timing & the amount applied .. not just get it moved at the least cost & fastest way.

I'd better cool it ;) , before I loose it:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts