Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Nock Point

444 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  coonskinner 
#1 ·
Does everyone here start out at 3/8" when you're trying to set up your bow for the first time?

That measurement is to the bottom of the nock, right?

#4 ·
i'd say between 1/4 and 1/2 on most trad. bows...but there will need to be adjusting as you shoot the bow...almost all of my old bows are set at 1/4"...it seems the new bows like it higher...but you need to be sure your arrow matches than fiddle with the brace height and string nock...:D

#7 ·
i'd say between 1/4 and 1/2 on most trad. bows...but there will need to be adjusting as you shoot the bow...almost all of my old bows are set at 1/4"...it seems the new bows like it higher...but you need to be sure your arrow matches than fiddle with the brace height and string nock...:D
Hey ****, I'm gonna be limited to the old wood arrows, as I haven't got new ones yet. I have no idea the spine or anything, but I do know they shot well out of a 55' longbow. Mines 60'. We'll have to see. I just really want to shoot tomorrow at picnic, I've been so busy lately. 3/8" looks like a nice middle ground then?

#8 ·
Troutbum, where your nock point lands depends on several things. first, are you going to nock above or below the nock point? I nock below, so my brass nock point actually winds up being somewhere well above 1/2". I'm assuming you are using a bow square to measure.

Every bow/arrow/shooter combination is unique. how you grip the bow, your brace height, how you hold the string(split or three under), how your bow is tillered, and arrow spine all come into play. I would start by setting a nock point at 5/8"(this puts the bottom or your arrow nock at about 3/8" above the arrow shelf or rest or whatever you use) and see what happens. if your arrows are porpoising, raise it a little and see what happens. repeat as needed to get your arrows flying straight. I don't recall ever making or owning a bow that liked an arrow nock on the string below 3/8". in fact, the center of the throat of my nocks is almost always 1/2" or higher.

#9 ·
Troutbum, where your nock point lands depends on several things. first, are you going to nock above or below the nock point? I nock below, so my brass nock point actually winds up being somewhere well above 1/2". I'm assuming you are using a bow square to measure.

Every bow/arrow/shooter combination is unique. how you grip the bow, your brace height, how you hold the string(split or three under), how your bow is tillered, and arrow spine all come into play. I would start by setting a nock point at 5/8"(this puts the bottom or your arrow nock at about 3/8" above the arrow shelf or rest or whatever you use) and see what happens. if your arrows are porpoising, raise it a little and see what happens. repeat as needed to get your arrows flying straight. I don't recall ever making or owning a bow that liked an arrow nock on the string below 3/8". in fact, the center of the throat of my nocks is almost always 1/2" or higher.
Thanks Jamie. Yeah I'm using a bow square. I am going to nock my arrows under the nock. My nocks are 1/8" wide, do you use 2 of them stacked?

#10 ·
my brass nock points are the same as yours, I'm sure. no, I don't use two of them stacked. the bow I'm shooting now likes my nock point (thats the BOTTOM of the nock point, or the TOP side of the arrow nock, however you want to look at it) set at 5/8" above the arrow shelf. that puts the center of the throat of my arrow nock at 1/2" above. I shoot split-fingered. set your nock point so that the bottom is something around 1/2" to 5/8" above to get started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.