Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I caught several very small, what i thought were brown trout... But i guess they could have been small mouth.... A little later i caught an 8 inch or so fish that I also thought was a trout, but it had a webbed patter, rather than the spotten pattern you typically see. It had orange fins and an orange gill plate, but it had the sleek body of a trout. I have been trying to identify them and not sure... do trout ever silighty vary in that they mey have the webbed pattern i was finding? perhaps when they are young like the ones i was catching? I was fishing an area supposedly known for trout and wouldnt have questioned it at all had it not been for the lack of spotting... can someone please id these fish?

Thank you.
t3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I couldnt get the photos to show up in the thread, so i attached a link (above). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
372 Posts
EZ- Those aren't trout. Here's some trout pics I just did a little search for:

http://www.coloradotrouthunters.com/troutidentification.html

I don't ever get to the Mad, I live at the other end of the state, so I can't tell you much about. Catching fish as a FF newbie is great no matter what!

How warm was the water? You might have to fish early in the morning or later in the evening. If the water gets too warm, say 70 deg or warmer it makes the trout lethargic. It can kill the fish to catch 'em as they are too hot and just trying to survive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.... And thanks, Troutbum for the advice... I had been wondering why they sell thermometers at the fly fishing stores, lol.. I had a feeling that was the response i'd get:) I am not sure what the temperature of the water was, but after reading up some more, I made other mistakes that would have prevented me from catching trout. I did not tread stealthily much at all, so I'm sure if there were trout in there they probably got scared off.

I can say that I've never caught a fish that looked like that one either. I looked up chub, and that must be what it was. Hahaha... far cry from trout.. Oh well...

I started fly fishing about 3 weeks ago and got my first fish around that time (I think it was a smallmouth about 5-6 inches long)... I've been fishing the Olentangy River and getting bluegill, some rock bass, and smallmouth. Mostly pretty small fish. I've yet to catch anything over 12 inches long.

Any suggestions for other locations I might try my hand at trout fishing? Or landing some decent size fish on fly? I don't know if my technique is so bad that only young, small fish are the only ones dumb enough to go after my fly or what....

EZ- Those aren't trout. Here's some trout pics I just did a little search for:

http://www.coloradotrouthunters.com/troutidentification.html

I don't ever get to the Mad, I live at the other end of the state, so I can't tell you much about. Catching fish as a FF newbie is great no matter what!

How warm was the water? You might have to fish early in the morning or later in the evening. If the water gets too warm, say 70 deg or warmer it makes the trout lethargic. It can kill the fish to catch 'em as they are too hot and just trying to survive.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You're options are kinda limited for trout in OH. If you live close to the Mad I'd say that's you're best bet. I live on the border of PA, that's why I get into the trout more there.

No, I don't think your technique is bad, you're catching fish. Remember, FF is a more accurate representation of what fish eat than most things- so you will catch lots of small fish too. Even tiny chubs, etc. I don't know what flies you're using, but have fun with the bass, bluegills, and carp during summer. When fall comes around you can hit the steelhead in the Lake Erie tribs for the big fish! Carp can be fun on a fly rod. Personally I don't have a lot of exp with carp but there are guys on here who do.

Lots of other really good FF and tiers on this forum, been a little quiet on here lately. It'll pick up when the guys are getting into the carp and smallies. And especially during the steelhead runs. Keep it up and have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts