1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Holy crap:yikes::yikes::yikes:....You to respect the guy..He could careless about the world record book.,.He knows he caught it an then released it....Well played

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
No doubt.
When you beat the record by 600 pounds-you initialed the record.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'd like to see somethin that big in the Ohio. Maybe during the trawl.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ah, Lance, you beat me to the post. I just read about that monster this AM and was gonna share. I applaud the guide service for their work in preserving such a great fish. Kudos to the angler, too, for his part. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Most impressive! He's a better man then I. There's some fish I'm catch and keep on depending on if it meets legal minimum, etc., like walleye, channel cats, etc. Some I release for the most part if I don't eat them, like carp, sheephead, longnose gars and bowfin. I think in other circumstances catch and release are overrated no matter the size of the fish or if they're in season or not, like with smallmouths and largemouths, northern pike, muskie, just to name a couple. If the fish is in season and its a record, I can say this now and with comfort because I've never been put in the position to catch such a fish, but I'd be leaning towards getting it mounted.
I say this mainly because of this example. If you have yourself this fish, an 1100 pound sturgeon that's probably 100 years old, it probably won't be alive for much more then a couple years if that long. Not that I'm any kind of an expert on large fish like this, but depending on the stress of the fight at the end of the line this sturgeon might not survive long anyways considering the age.
I only write all this because I've gotten flack from people that catch and release is the ONLY way to go and if you dare harvest or get a fish mounted you're evil.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Isn't sturgeon endangered in most places and must be released ...id definately let the old guy go...a pic and replica would work...:biggrin:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Isn't sturgeon endangered in most places and must be released ...id definately let the old guy go...a pic and replica would work...:biggrin:
Depends on where you go. In Michigan you're allowed to harvest one sturgeon a year. You can do a search online on where you can fish for them in Michigan and what the size limits are on them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I caught one about that size in the creek behind my house once on 4 lb test.. You can't prove I didn't so it must have happened!!

I like how the guy just took some pics and let it go. Classy of him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts