Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Just recently purchased a Cooper Montana Varminter in .204 which was used but never fired. Plan to mount a NightForce 6.5-25 50MM on it for fox and coyote. I was currently using a Remington 700 5R Milspec in .223 but I think this will outshoot it,(if that's possible). The .204 shoots 32gr or 40gr at over 4000 fps and shoots flatter than a .223 or 22-250. The interesting part is that the firing impact is such that you don't lose image when the shot is squeezed off. I've attached pic of the rifle and the factory test target shot from bags.

·
22,520 Posts
Very nice:thumbs_up:- Cooper makes an excellent gun, and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

That .204 Ruger caliber in this gun does exactly as you state.

Have Fun with it Redvette!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Used, but never fired? What'd they do? Whack 'em over the head w/ it? LOL!
That is a sweetie. Looking forward to what you can do w/ it. ;)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used, but never fired? What'd they do? Whack 'em over the head w/ it? LOL!
That is a sweetie. Looking forward to what you can do w/ it. ;)
Still saving for the scope but I've narrowed it down to a Nightforce, Zeiss, or Leupold Mark 4. I want an illuminated recticle for night hunting, 50mm or larger, and variable to 4.5 or 6.5 to 14.5 or 20. I kinda like the Nightforce NP-R2 recticle as it's a hash in mils. These babies aren't cheap but I don't want to purchase multiple scopes to get what I'm satisfied with. I'm currently using a VX-III 3.5 to 10x50MM Duplex and the cross hairs are too hard to make out at night with a red light to pick up eyes of fox and coyote. I can see the eyes OK but not the cross hairs.
I think they just looked at it and said isn't that pretty AAA wood but never fired it. I'll probably feel bad taking it in the field but oh well.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Great looking rifle. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
That's a nice one Red. I have a model 22 in 284 Winchester but it has a gray plywood stock so you don't have to worry about hunting with it. Please let us know how she shoots when you buy your scope.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a nice one Red. I have a model 22 in 284 Winchester but it has a gray plywood stock so you don't have to worry about hunting with it. Please let us know how she shoots when you buy your scope.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

RGJZ06
Dick, the one hole test target shows how it shoots. The real question is how will I shoot with it. Unfortunately right now my dominant right eye is about 1/4 obscured since my tumor operation. Hopefully by this fall that will come back and I'll be ready to call some yotes and fox for this gun.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Dick, the one hole test target shows how it shoots. The real question is how will I shoot with it. Unfortunately right now my dominant right eye is about 1/4 obscured since my tumor operation. Hopefully by this fall that will come back and I'll be ready to call some yotes and fox for this gun.:biggrin:
You are going to have a great time with that fine gun this fall, don't worry about that. A good scope is next.

I bought mine from a guy at work and it was like new as he didn't run very many rounds through it. My stock looks like yours except for the checkering. Mine doesn't have any. My stock is gray laminated and it looks really good for that kind of a stock. The model 22 stock doesn't have a raised cheek area like yours, at least I think yours has it. Cooper will custom make anything you want I guess. Mine was spec'ed out in 284 Windchester with a fluted barrel as that round isn't standard in the model 22. I bought a set of Farrell 30mm rings for it as it came with a Farrell base. I have a 4.5/14/50mm Leupold Mark 4 for it. It's a Mil dot with M-1 turrets. It's the best rifle I've ever owned. They make a very nice gun for sure.

RGJZ06

1 - 9 of 9 Posts