Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled along this site and like what I see. Quick intro about myself, I'm a disabled veteran of the USAF Security Forces and this year will be my first turkey season in Ohio. I'm from Western New York and live to turkey hunt. I gave up my small taxidermy shop and guided hunts to join the military and was stationed here at WPAFB. To my questions. I am getting back into turkey hunting and taxidermy and was looking into Sycamore State Park to go Thunder Chicken Hunting this Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I was wondering from the maps that I have been studying (topo/aerial) where would a good side to start Tuesday morning? I know this is bold to ask, I usually do my own homework but my wife surprised me with all new turkey gear and TOLD me it was time for me to get back into my niche. Is Sycamore a run and gun type or sit and ambush type of place? Any advice would be helpful, and if anyone is interested in Turkey hunting in Western NY next year or this fall I am loaded with info and sweet spots (most of Chaut. County). Thanks in advance and look forward in building relationships with fellow turkey hunters.

·
5,040 Posts
Good Luck, and welcome, sorry but I've never heard of Sycamore.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Welcome to OS. I'm not familliar with that area of the state, but it seems like a very small section of public land to target. From what I read there is only about 1500 acres of land in the park for hunting. With it's proximity to a large metropolitain area (Dayton), I would imagine it gets quite a bit of activity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. Yeah its small, and have heared of a lot of horror stories from Caesars Creek. This I think will be my fall back. As long as im out in the woods im happy and will learn from it. As for caesars creek any advice there. Reason why im staying within 30 mins of dayton is because I have school and work to balance. Thanks again and thanks for the replies.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Unless you have private ground around the area hunting is tough due to the pressure. Even on private it can be tough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Where all were you stationed at? I'm a recruiter up north... Only been to the base a handful of times for WAPS and things like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All was good this morning at caesars creek had a gobbler going off like crazy on the private lands across the street he wouldnt cross the road thou. Then had a jake come attack my decoys for 10 mins but was hoping for the boss to come in. coyote tracks galore. Ill be back at it this weekend thanks everyone for the advice

·
Registered
577 Posts
If your planning on trying Sycamore again, if you look at the largest block on the west side, the dead middle of it is where I have found birds previosly. I would like to help you out with the Creek, but I would rather PM you with the info, as I am currently trying to fill my tag there. I can't believe you got that kind of reaction from a jake! I haven't had nearly that much fun all year. You'll run into the, "just on the other side of the fence issue" alot around there. They get pushed off the public land early, and trying to drag them across is an exercise in frustration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was the first time that I have ever seen that as well! Very exciting he came in he went right for my jake decoy didnt even look at my hen decoy, now that I have been thinking about it the breeze was making the jake move quite abit and the hen was hung up on some grass could that have anything to do with it. And definately PM me, dont know how to do that yet been busy studying caesers creek topos and maps. I didnt know that Ohio allows you to hunt til sunset thats crazy as im from NY. Im gonna try to get atleast one day off this weekend to give it 150%, maybe meet up or something,so definatley PM me any info is good info, being new to Ohio State Parks its kinda scary roaming mother natures bad yard when you havent been there before.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Many a hunter has tried to call "those birds" across the street from private to the public side. I would say "those birds" know the deal.

Turkeybandit, are you the guy that is parked next to one of the pheasant fields in the blue SUV?

·
Registered
577 Posts
hah, naw I drive a tan ford ranger. you'll see me sooner or later. That controlled burn in nice though ain't it? I wish they would do that all over the park! all of the animals would benefit.

·
Banned
955 Posts
When we drive through there this year we always see a blue suv parked in one of the pull offs next to a pheasant field. Thought it might have been you. The guy is there literally every time we come back from hunting our private farms in that area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts