Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get into bowfishing for sometime now. I've done my research on the bows, retrievers, and products. I still haven't purchased any equipment, so any helpfully advice on that subject would be great!!! My main question is, does anyone know about bowfishing the Muskingum River (Zanesville area) or Dillon Lake without the use of a boat. Thank you for your time!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Welcome aboard! Ive been wanting to shoot dillon. Got a shooting buddy that lives close by. Might actually be that way next weekend if we do I'll hit you up.

What equipment questions do you have? Lots of knowledgeable people on here willing to help out!

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
We are here for you. Tell us more about yourself?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I dont blame him... bowfishing sucks. I mean how hard is it to shoot a fish just a few feet away? Not to mention how immoral it is to shoot a fish that youre not gonna eat. You all just throw em in a pile at the ramp anyway right? :mischeif:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I dont blame him... bowfishing sucks. I mean how hard is it to shoot a fish just a few feet away? Not to mention how immoral it is to shoot a fish that youre not gonna eat. You all just throw em in a pile at the ramp anyway right? :mischeif:
Not to mention all those jerkface's out there running their generators and polluting the nightime world with their lights. Man, I think I hate them.....fishing on my beaches in my lake....shooting my fish....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Shooting carp is immoral?:mischeif:

I'm interested too. I have a city park close by (we call it the "sewer"), just lousy with carp. Like to maybe take a crack at bowfishing someday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the delay Fellas. without having to order a bow online, where can I get an actual AMS Bow with retriever somewhere within 60 miles of Zanesville, OH and is it worth my time trying to bowfish off river banks and lake shores if I don't own a boat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry about the delay Fellas. without having to order a bow online, where can I get an actual AMS Bow with retriever somewhere within 60 miles of Zanesville, OH and is it worth my time trying to bowfish off river banks and lake shores if I don't own a boat?
I've started bowfishing just the last couple weeks. Where I fish the rivers you can get good shots at decent carp from the bank. No need for a boat

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Lots of places to bank bowfish. Get back with me, we could hook up and hit a few lakes in my boat. Just waiting for my troller parts. Should be here by tues. evening. Show us a picture of your bow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Gander Mountain I go to usually has an Ams kit or two. I've also seen them at Cabelas and Bass Pro. I bank shot for years before I had a boat and had good success. I still bank shoot some just for something different. I love stalking big fish in shallow water... like deer hunting for carp!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I used to bank fish a little here and there. When you start shooting anywhere from 75 to 200 or so fish a night from a boat though, on good nights, bank fishing gets old real quick.

Get a bow!! Spring time is the best for bank shooting, but, there is a group of us with boats, and usually most of us are looking for an extra shooter!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also wanted to get into bow fishing, I bought a AMS beginners kit but I don't know what kind of bow to put it on. I have a Mathews Z7 Extreme but i think there is too much poundage on it to use. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yep - waaaaay to much poundage. Find a cheap youth bow that shoots 25-45 pounds.

Black Dog Bowfishing Pro Staff

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not to mention all those jerkface's out there running their generators and polluting the nightime world with their lights. Man, I think I hate them.....fishing on my beaches in my lake....shooting my fish....
My dad and brother give their carp to a fertilizer plant/farm in exchange for fresh strawberries. May be something to look into... I know I wouldn't eat a carp and bow fishing is a blast!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts